Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: formula advertisements at the peds

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetb View Post
Here is something, a litlte hard to read through:
http://www.ibfan.org/english/issue/code02.html

Couple of things of interest on the World Health Assembly Code:

Article 5.2 expands on this general principle: "Manufacturers and distributors should not provide, directly or indirectly, to pregnant women, mothers or members of their families, samples of products within the scope of this Code."

Article 5.3 covers retail outlets. It clarifies the ban on promotion by citing the following examples:

* "point of sale advertising
* giving of samples
* discount coupons, premiums, special sales,
loss-leaders and tie-in sales."

Article 6: Health care system

"No facility of a health care system should be used for the purpose of promoting infant formula or other products within the scope of this Code...."
Article 6.2

* No promotion of products in the health care system
* No free supplies in any part of the health care system
Too bad these "rules" arent followed! They really should be!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
AudreyNola
Registered Users
Formerly: wyatt'smom
seller

Quote:
Here is something, a litlte hard to read through:
http://www.ibfan.org/english/issue/code02.html

Couple of things of interest on the World Health Assembly Code:

Article 5.2 expands on this general principle: "Manufacturers and distributors should not provide, directly or indirectly, to pregnant women, mothers or members of their families, samples of products within the scope of this Code."

Article 5.3 covers retail outlets. It clarifies the ban on promotion by citing the following examples:

* "point of sale advertising
* giving of samples
* discount coupons, premiums, special sales,
loss-leaders and tie-in sales."

Article 6: Health care system

"No facility of a health care system should be used for the purpose of promoting infant formula or other products within the scope of this Code...."
Article 6.2

* No promotion of products in the health care system
* No free supplies in any part of the health care system
WOW! what good information this is! I read the link, the section on spotting a violation said what i was very inarticulately trying to say, that there is a place for formula but it should be marketed appropriately. the section on monitoring the babyfeeding industry confused me a bit. it described what meausures to take so you could report a violation. what i don't understand is if this advertising is illegal or frowned upon. i am going to take a copy of this article to my ped and see what he says. thanks again for such a good source .
Old 10-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
AudreyNola
Registered Users
Formerly: wyatt'smom
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
IM sorry I just hate that! Yeah many Mothers FF for whatever reason but I dont want Formula ads all over the waiting room and coupons and samples, etc! I see enough FF ads in Magazines!

They shouldnt have those in the waiting room BUT if you tell them yes I FF then once inside the exam room they can pass out all their "stuff" to you

And yes that would be great if they catered to ALL Mothers ... yet they dont there are TONS of FF things and very rearly BFing stuff!
off topic i know, but can you tell me where you got the nursing smiley-face in your siggy. another mama on here has it for her avatar and i love it. i'd like to use it somewhere too . btw i'm completely impressed with your extended bfing, way to go mama!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
Ellies_Mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Never seen anything like that here.

There is a World Health Organization ban on the marketing of formula directly to mothers ... yet pediatricians think it is okay to put up their propaganda? They are directly helping the formula companies do this since they aren't suppose to do it themselves.

I don't know all the details about the rules, if someone does, I'd love to find out more.

Hey, next time you're there, you could always sit under the sign and breastfeed just for the heck of it
I'm sorry but this really offends me! Formula is FOOD for our children weather you ladies who BF like it or not! And that statment that was highlighted makes it sound like they are posters advertising cigerettes or alcohol!

Who cares what any other mother decides to do?? Does it effect YOU weather or not she bf or ff HER child?? NO it does not; so why should you make them feel ashamed for wanting to FEED their child?!

Ellies_Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #15
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt'smom View Post
.... it described what meausures to take so you could report a violation. what i don't understand is if this advertising is illegal or frowned upon. i am going to take a copy of this article to my ped and see what he says. thanks again for such a good source .
It is an international 'code' passed by the World Health Organization (over two decades ago nonethe less!!!), so it isn't law by default. Yeah, too bad it isn't followed!!

This article has some interesting info on that (though this is a Canadian site, so many specifics are Canandian, but they have some good info in general and this is where I got hte other link - infactcanada.ca)

http://www.infactcanada.ca/Breastfee...%20format).pdf
Who is Responsible Under the Code?
Governments
Are required to implement the marketing restrictions needed to safeguard breastfeeding practices, through their social and legislative structures.

Infant food products industries
Must regard themselves as responsible for monitoring
their marketing practices and take steps to ensure
that they are in compliance, regardless of steps taken
by governments.

Health care workers
Should encourage and protect breastfeeding, be
familiar with their responsibilities under the
International Code and not be used as intermediaries
in the marketing of artficial feeding products.

The health care system
Should not be used to display or distribute infant
feeding products or promote formula feeding in any
way. Health care systems are mandated to encourage
and protect breastfeeding.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #16
Ellies_Mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt'smom View Post
WOW! what good information this is! I read the link, the section on spotting a violation said what i was very inarticulately trying to say, that there is a place for formula but it should be marketed appropriately. the section on monitoring the babyfeeding industry confused me a bit. it described what meausures to take so you could report a violation. what i don't understand is if this advertising is illegal or frowned upon. i am going to take a copy of this article to my ped and see what he says. thanks again for such a good source .
Marketed appropriately?? So you think that having a poster for formula, the food supplement of yes MANY babies, is an inappropriate thing to have in a pediatricians office???

Old 10-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #17
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellies_Mommy View Post
Marketed appropriately?? So you think that having a poster for formula, the food supplement of yes MANY babies, is an inappropriate thing to have in a pediatricians office???
According to the World Health Organization, yes, advertising formula directly to mothers is inappropriate because it is undermining breastfeeding. In North America this isn't as dangerous as in many parts of the world. Other parts of the world babies die because the moms are mislead to believe formula feeding will be better for their babies.

Marketing showing happy, smiling babies, with happy parents and happily involved dads, babies sleeping peacefully in the middle of the night, etc. are all marketing, plain and simple wanting you to BUY their product. Not wanting to help you find a good breastmilk substitute if you aren't able to breastfeed.

From what I've read, 'second stage' formulas came out when breastfeeding rates went up because formula companies were losing profits by having more people breastfeeding.

Babies are designed to be fed breastmilk and the WHO has placed restrictions on advertising to prevent manufacturers from getting their bias information to mothers ahead of the advocates for breastfeeding.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #18
Ellies_Mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
According to the World Health Organization, yes, advertising formula directly to mothers is inappropriate because it is undermining breastfeeding. In North America this isn't as dangerous as in many parts of the world. Other parts of the world babies die because the moms are mislead to believe formula feeding will be better for their babies.

Marketing showing happy, smiling babies, with happy parents and happily involved dads, babies sleeping peacefully in the middle of the night, etc. are all marketing, plain and simple wanting you to BUY their product. Not wanting to help you find a good breastmilk substitute if you aren't able to breastfeed.

From what I've read, 'second stage' formulas came out when breastfeeding rates went up because formula companies were losing profits by having more people breastfeeding.

Babies are designed to be fed breastmilk and the WHO has placed restrictions on advertising to prevent manufacturers from getting their bias information to mothers ahead of the advocates for breastfeeding.
I dont see a formula advertisment in my pediatricians office as a way to make me BUY formula, I see it as a food selection for my child! I dont care if the mother didnt want to breastfeed or just couldnt, it is ultimatly her choice no matter what ANYONE thinks. So IMO I would much rather have her educated on her options on what she can feed her child if bfing isnt an option.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I dont see a formula advertisment in my pediatricians office as a way to make me BUY formula, I see it as a food selection for my child! I dont care if the mother didnt want to breastfeed or just couldnt, it is ultimatly her choice no matter what ANYONE thinks. So IMO I would much rather have her educated on her options on what she can feed her child if bfing isnt an option.
I guess it would depend on what is in the advertisement. Almost no advertisements for anything really include enough information to make selections of different products, they typically have enough to make you recognize their product and select it over another option at the store.

Also, if they are putting up one formula advertisement over another then it isn't actually showing you selections, but promoting a particular product.

The choice is the mother's, that isn't being argued. The fact is though, that formula companies have unbelievable amount of money to advertise to you, you friends, family, everyone to get their brand name across and associate it with having happy healthy baby and everything else. No one makes ridiculous amounts of money off breastfeeding, so there isn't the same advertising campaign behind breastfeeding, which makes this a completed unbalanced game in trying to 'sway' mothers as to how to feed their babies. Considering there is an advantage to feeding your baby breastmilk and this is the underrepresented side in advertising, there is a problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #20
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'm sorry but this really offends me! Formula is FOOD for our children weather you ladies who BF like it or not! And that statment that was highlighted makes it sound like they are posters advertising cigerettes or alcohol!

Who cares what any other mother decides to do?? Does it effect YOU weather or not she bf or ff HER child?? NO it does not; so why should you make them feel ashamed for wanting to FEED their child?!
Yes, formula is food for your child. But we are mammals. Breastmilk is what babies are supposed to get yet formula has been normalized and that is what these ladies are talking about.

And no, FF doesn't effect anyone personally except the baby that is being FF. But a lot of the babies that are FF are fed so because formula is normalized in most developed countries and many mothers feel like that's just "what you do". By putting formula everywhere (and it is everywhere), we are putting the idea out there that is how babies are supposed to be fed. And its just not.

Last edited by urchin_grey; 10-03-2007 at 08:00 PM.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote