Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #21
OnlyWomanInTheHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: chasingprisms
seller

My Mood:
Re: formula advertisements at the peds

I believe 100% that formula advertising should be off limits in doctors offices WORLD WIDE. Nestle is a GREAT example as to why! Women in 3rd world countries certainly don't have the money to spend on formula, but they spend every penny they have to give their babies a "better start". Not to mention the fact that Nestle is in turn killing innocent children due to the lack of clean water and supplies to actually FF.
http://boycottnestle.blogspot.com/20...ines-here.html

Formula may be a choice for many families, but it is not the best choice. Not even the second best choice. Breast milk is best, followed by expressed breast milk, milk from a milk bank, THEN last is formula.

I have plenty of friends that FF, and I don't jump on them for their decisions. I don't even blink an eye.

Advertisement

OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #22
AudreyNola
Registered Users
Formerly: wyatt'smom
seller

i felt the need to get defensive when i saw all the posts by ellies mommy but lauren answered much better then i could have.

what i will say i said before, i don't think anyone should be made to feel bad about their choices, absolutely they only affect themselves and their families. only the individual knows what is right for herself. my only qualm is the unbalance of representation between bfing and ffing. nowhere in my peds office did i see a poster or brochure touting the benefits of bfing. i live in a very rural place where so many mothers stay at home and give their children formula without ever attempting to bf. this baffles me. i just feel like if there were the same ad campaigns for bfing as there were for ffing then women would have more of a choice. i realize they have the choice now, but for the most part they aren't making the unadvertised choice. i just want a level the playing field so mom's can decide for themselves, not do what ads tell them.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #23
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

I feel the need to throw my in. I feel that being a parent is hard enough without other mamas judging you and your decisions. BF or FF, co-sleep or not, spank or not, vax or not, circ or not, cd or use sposies...the choices are endless, and far be it for ANY of us to judge the decisions of ANY others. ALso, in some instances FF is necessary due to HIV/HEP infection in the mother. Even if it is not necessary, it is a choice, and is adequate nutrition for the baby, and has some relevant pros (dad can do night feedings, etc). A lot of us (me included) who work outside the home have a hard time keeping up with pumping enough milk for our children, I'm sure at some point I will exhaust the frozen breast milk and have to supplement. Oh well.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #24
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This isn't about slamming ffing moms but rather the money grubbing formula companies and those who get huge kickbacks for promoting formula.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #25
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post
This isn't about slamming ffing moms but rather the money grubbing formula companies and those who get huge kickbacks for promoting formula.
Well put

This has nothing to do with whether anyone breast or formula feeds their babies. The issue is whether formula advertisements, from formula companies have a place in a pediatricians office.

The alcohol and tobacco companies aren't allowed to sponsor large events here anymore (not sure the exact rule, but no more NAS Car or Indy races named after alcohol and tobacco companies). Both consuming alcohol and smoking are legal, I don't have any problems with anyone having a drink, I'm a bit more opinionated on smoking but I don't attack anyone for smoking. The main reason I understand for this change is because these companies have huge pocket books to fund whatever they like to sway opinions. They have the pocket books to fund any and all kinds of advertising they want, if they're allowed to. This is why there are limitations on it now.

And no, I'm not comparing formula to alcohol and tobacco Just comparing several companies with HUGE pocket books and all their money is coming from convincing us as consumers to buy their product!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #26
OnlyWomanInTheHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: chasingprisms
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetb View Post
This has nothing to do with whether anyone breast or formula feeds their babies. The issue is whether formula advertisements, from formula companies have a place in a pediatricians office.

The alcohol and tobacco companies aren't allowed to sponsor large events here anymore (not sure the exact rule, but no more NAS Car or Indy races named after alcohol and tobacco companies). Both consuming alcohol and smoking are legal, I don't have any problems with anyone having a drink, I'm a bit more opinionated on smoking but I don't attack anyone for smoking. The main reason I understand for this change is because these companies have huge pocket books to fund whatever they like to sway opinions. They have the pocket books to fund any and all kinds of advertising they want, if they're allowed to. This is why there are limitations on it now.

And no, I'm not comparing formula to alcohol and tobacco Just comparing several companies with HUGE pocket books and all their money is coming from convincing us as consumers to buy their product!
ITA!!

OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #27
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know - I can't not comment on this this morning. Anyone who is offended came into this thread looking for somthing to be offended at.

This thread was titled pretty clearly, in an appropriate forum to discuss FF adverts. at pedi offices... if someone goes looking to be offended then so be it. But this subject matter was clear. Anyone that is offended at anything said in this thread could have not entered it. I dont go into threads that have titles with things I know might rub me the wron way for that reason. If a person ff for 'their' reasons, then fine! Dont make an effeort to justify what you're doing to others. I find it interesting that moms who FF feel the need to justify their choices to everyone while bf moms tend to not feel so compelled.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #28
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They get the formula, coupons and advertising free from the companies. Its just how the companies get their business. Our Ped acutally has the coupons out, but the formula in a separate room so that if you want it you need to ask for it, and all the advertisements are put away in that same room, its an exam room but her "overflow" room. LOL, so the reps believe she is doing the advertising so she can get the formula for those that use/need it, but she doesn't over burden the rest of us with it.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #29
Ellies_Mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt'smom View Post
i felt the need to get defensive when i saw all the posts by ellies mommy but lauren answered much better then i could have.

what i will say i said before, i don't think anyone should be made to feel bad about their choices, absolutely they only affect themselves and their families. only the individual knows what is right for herself. my only qualm is the unbalance of representation between bfing and ffing. nowhere in my peds office did i see a poster or brochure touting the benefits of bfing. i live in a very rural place where so many mothers stay at home and give their children formula without ever attempting to bf. this baffles me. i just feel like if there were the same ad campaigns for bfing as there were for ffing then women would have more of a choice. i realize they have the choice now, but for the most part they aren't making the unadvertised choice. i just want a level the playing field so mom's can decide for themselves, not do what ads tell them.
Sorry that you felt the need to get defensive. I did too when I read this thread. It is a very touchy subject for me because I CAN NOT BF my DD. So I am tired of hearing what a horrible mother I am for not doing so! I know that this thread was not meant that way now, but when I first read it that is how it came across to me.

In regards to not seeing any BFing ads in your peds office; you should have come to mine then lol! My doc had nothing BUT BFing ads in her exam rooms and the formula ads were mixed with the BFing ads in the main halls. It was very balanced and showed the benefits of either way you decided to go. It made it a little easier on me when I finally gave into the fact that BFing wasnt a possibility anymore.

And as far as advertising BFing, I wouldnt think they would have to. I mean it is common sense that yes breast is best. And it should be common sense on why and what the benefits of it are. So I dont understand why they would need to ADVERTISE it. I mean our bodies are meant for that (some bodies can actually do it while others may not be able to --like mine) So our advertising is right there on our chests. I dont know, I just dont think that needs much more advertising than that. But IMO the formula ads, are put out there mainly for the women who CANT BF, weather it be because of work, no milk, or just because they choose not to. So this way, they can compare which formulas are the best and closest they can get to breast milk. Its just like when you make a decision on healthy foods. You want to get the best one right? well if the first choice isnt available, then you have to do your research. Does that make sense?

Ellies_Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #30
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellies_Mommy View Post
And as far as advertising BFing, I wouldnt think they would have to. I mean it is common sense that yes breast is best. And it should be common sense on why and what the benefits of it are. So I dont understand why they would need to ADVERTISE it. I mean our bodies are meant for that (some bodies can actually do it while others may not be able to --like mine) So our advertising is right there on our chests. I dont know, I just dont think that needs much more advertising than that. But IMO the formula ads, are put out there mainly for the women who CANT BF, weather it be because of work, no milk, or just because they choose not to. So this way, they can compare which formulas are the best and closest they can get to breast milk. Its just like when you make a decision on healthy foods. You want to get the best one right? well if the first choice isnt available, then you have to do your research. Does that make sense?
I would agree that BF shouldn't need to be advertised and should be the obvious first choice. And as you said, if that doesn't work for whatever reason, then move onto formulas.

However, if it was really working that way, the breastfeeding rates - especially the breastfeeding initiation rates would be higher. Practically every mom should be starting out trying to breastfeed at the hospital when baby is born if everyone started with the idea that they were going to breastfeed if they could.

The reason this isn't the case is because of the medical establishment and the formula companies pushing formula for basically an entire generation. So now we're stuck with a generation for whom breastfeeding wasn't the norm. They were actually told formula was better. So, instead of having your mother and grandmother who have had experience breastfeeding and are supportive and have skills to share, most don't have this.

If the medical establishment hadn't bought into the crap from the formula companies, this wouldn't have happened. So, it isn't solely the formula company's doing.