Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
ginafer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another question...Umbilical cord

Definitely wait. Unless you want to bank the cord blood. My first son, despite my birth plan, had his cord clamped and cut before the placental transfussion. He immediately turned blue and had to be rushed to the NICU. We didn't know, but his lungs were full of fluid and he couldn't breath! So I don't recommended having the cord cut immediately and that is my one experience of having it done!

Advertisement

Joshua 24:15
Ginafer: wife to 1 wonderful husband and mother of 5 gorgeous boys!
ginafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I found the information in the links very interesting. I didn't know about delaying the clamping with my first two babies. My oldest has ADD and my second has agression and anger problems. I read a book that talked about not clamping the cord until it's done pulsating when I was pregnant with my third baby. I talked to my doctor and didn't clamp right away. He was a much stronger baby and doesn't have any of the problems my first two have. Neither do the rest of my kids, who also had delayed cord clamping.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #13
belawilde
Registered Users
seller

This was very informative. Thank you mamas! I'm going in tomorrow for induction and this has given me a LOT of comfort. When my first was born he didn't breathe on his own. They'd cut him right away and ended up having to bag him w/ a flurry of NICU nurses called in. I've never been so scared in my life. I didn't know about this with my second. I am most CERTAINLY going to let the dr and nurses know my decision with this delivery.

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
belawilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
brigadoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just to toss this out there, i was talking to my midwife about delayed cord cutting vs. cord banking and she said that the same blood that is harvested from the cord, that the same stem cells can be harvested from the placenta and you should be able to bank blood from the placenta and delay the cutting. have your cake and eat it too! it may take some convincing the dr. though...