Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
alphagam5
Registered Users

Help fussy baby when nursing

i have an ex preemie now 4.5 mos adjusted age 7 weeks, in the last two weeks shes started getting very fussy and will get very aggravated after 5 min of nursing in the late AM/afternoons until her last evening feed. this does not happen during her early AM feeds. the only thing that calms her is a silicone nuk pacifier. i've desperately tried to offer the breast as a pacifier but if she gets one gulp of milk (after the initial good five min of nursing she screams.

she's easy to calm though and will even smile. she does this pattern about every two hours during the afternoon. she has reflux but never actually throws up. on meds for that. otherwise she's a happy baby, sleeping six hrs at night and up a lot during the day....tough to get her to nap as the reflux wakes her up. making good wet diapers, hydrated. doc is ok with her gaining a half an ounze a day.

i also do lots of babywearing and holding. attentive to her cry....no crying it out. anyone had similar exp.? thoughts? this is the first baby and i don't know if this is ok.

Advertisement

alphagam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
tealeaf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help fussy baby when nursing

My eldest and my new baby went through (and is still going through) this from gas pains. Try turning on a blow dryer (on cool) or a vacuum cleaner. The white noise can mesmerize a baby, and they relax and nurse. I also have been giving Liam Mylacon drops which help, too.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

they sometimes have a fussy time

Emerson does at that time (also a preemie)

we just walk her...and walk her and walk her...
Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh and your supply might be regulating too...maybe really fast flow of milk...
Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

I am having the exact same problem with my 7 week old!

She acts like she is getting nothing, is sucking madly on her hand and thumb between nursing sessions, and pulls off the nipple all the time - but ONLY at early evening/night feedings. Her middle of the night feeding this does not happen. She isn't any more gassy and doesn't have reflux. She is making plenty of wet diapers and having good BMs. And she is definitely gaining weight ... ???

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

Last edited by Rosella; 10-03-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little one went through a phase like this. But she was also sleeping a chunk at night like your little one (not any more though )

Anyways, I was attributed her restlessness to the fast that I was very full first thing in the morning and as the day went along, the supply settled down and there was still plenty, but it didn't come as easy or as fast for her and she was very impatient and fussed. At night she was really calm and first thing in the morning I was back to having fairly full breast. Eventually she calmed down, maybe just got better at feeding, not sure what.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
alphagam5
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xois View Post
oh and your supply might be regulating too...maybe really fast flow of milk...
that was one of the things brought up at LLL, now i'm virtually laying flat to go against gravity!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
alphagam5
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetb View Post
My little one went through a phase like this. But she was also sleeping a chunk at night like your little one (not any more though )

Anyways, I was attributed her restlessness to the fast that I was very full first thing in the morning and as the day went along, the supply settled down and there was still plenty, but it didn't come as easy or as fast for her and she was very impatient and fussed. At night she was really calm and first thing in the morning I was back to having fairly full breast. Eventually she calmed down, maybe just got better at feeding, not sure what.
thats good to hear, sounds exactly like what sophia's doing. this AM (after 7hrs of sleep) she gulped down and virtually emptied in 15min. thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 AM   #9
alphagam5
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealeaf View Post
My eldest and my new baby went through (and is still going through) this from gas pains. Try turning on a blow dryer (on cool) or a vacuum cleaner. The white noise can mesmerize a baby, and they relax and nurse. I also have been giving Liam Mylacon drops which help, too.

i did the mylacon drops this AM and when i gave it to her she gave me this look like.....wait a min, that's not milk and smushed up her face! i'll give that a try too for a few days. it's so funny that all the advertisement for breastfeeding eludes that it's so natural but wow is there a definite learning curve to some of it!