Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

thoughts in intro-ing a bottle

I know there are a lot of thoughts on this, but I have to get it right this time. I"m thinking ahead. I'm just 20w pregnant. But I'm stressing about it. I'm a single mama. I can't afford more than 6 weeks off from work(waitressing) before I need to go back after baby. She will be with her daddy so that's a positive. But my shifts range from 4-7 hours with a double on Saturdays. And I waitress. So I can't have him bring her for nursing purposes and he wouldn't do it anyway. She needs to be on a bottle for those times. When are you supposed to introduce bottles? I want to extended breastfeed. I want to delay solids. But 6 weeks is a very short time to establish breastfeeding AND introduce a bottle and deal with possible nipple confusion. What's the best method???

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: thoughts in intro-ing a bottle

From what I've heard you've hit the big one on the head - getting breastfeeding established! From your previous little ones I'm sure you have good experience, but do you have an other support (lactation consults at the hospital, community programs?) if you run into trouble?

I think I tried the first bottle with our little one at 4 weeks. She was breastfeeding great and didn't mind the bottle.

I've heard that if you wait too long (past 6 or 8 weeks) it gets harder to introduce, but you obviously can't wait that long anyways

The recommendations are to wait at least 2 weeks if breastfeeding is going well before introducing anything else. Could you wait a good 2 to 4 weeks before introducing anything? By then I'm sure you'd have a good sense of how things are going.

I've heard people who have cup fed and spoon fed small infants breastmilk when they were out (because they refused to give their babies artificial nipples, not because baby wouldn't take it), so there are options if your little one is still being fussy about the bottle when you go back. Not ideal, but options are always good

Good luck. It still baffles me that most women in the US only get 6 weeks off. Personally I think that's criminal!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

I'd start at about four weeks with the bottle. If breastfeeding is going super well, push it back to 3ish weeks. Just get a bottle that requires the "wide mouth latch' similar to breastfeeding. Hopefully baby will do fine and there won't be any problems.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
MamaF
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've always heard about 4wks...i was also told to introduce bottle after a breastfeeding session....let someone else do it and give baby one of mamma's shirts or something so baby can smell mamma...

We did it that way with DD and DS and had no problems (that is not to say that it was just my DC and had nothing to do with bottle in general..lol)

make sure you are able to pump while you're working b/c you'll need to pump at times baby normally would eat to:
1- make your body think baby is eating to keep up supply
2- get BM to give to your baby

I use the playtex nurser system with double electric breast pump and i love it...it also came with a really great book about breastfeeding and latching on and also a sheet on storage and how long it lasts and where...and storage bottles and insulated storage bag for milk....i also love that it has flat backs so i can use my arms to hold it and have my hands free to read or play on puter.....

if you go with that and need some bottles or extra lids and stuff for storage i can send you some for shipping costs...i got a lot (could only buy more in a large package at the time) and didn't go back to work out of the home so i didn't need them..both my DC only like the old fashion (look like boob) nipples for playtex...

also www.onestepahead.com has a really neat looking bottle (that actually is round and shaped like a boob). Never tried it b/c i had the playtex and they worked fine with my DC, but it looks neat.

good luck and have fun...and happy planning...and congratulations
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
ms_hecubus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started giving a bottle on occasion around 4 weeks without any problem. I went back to work at 8 weeks, part-time.

I know you'll have a hard time finding time to pump while serving. I work 4 to 6 hours a night and rarely pump at work. My supply dipped the first couple of weeks but I got it back up by pumping whenever I was feeding, taking fenugreek and pumping/feeding as close as I could to leaving and coming home from work. I figure that she goes 6 to 8 hours a night without eating and that doesn't hurt my supply so I refused to let a couple hours at work hurt it either.
ms_hecubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #6
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetb View Post
From what I've heard you've hit the big one on the head - getting breastfeeding established! From your previous little ones I'm sure you have good experience, but do you have an other support (lactation consults at the hospital, community programs?) if you run into trouble?
Well tehre's a "warm line" for breastfeeding issues at the birth center/hospital I'm delivering at. And I will have wic so I could probably get a visit from a LC and maybe rent a pump for back to work. But I have experience breastfeeding my first daughter(which was a bust in my opinion) and I breastfed a preemie girl until 22 months. So hopefully that will help. But I never had to intro a bottle(actually she never took one) so that's where I'm scared. I'm really scared to do this wrong and switch to formula by 7 months like with my first daughter.