Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
Formerly: Diaper'nDiva
seller

My Mood:
How about some casserole/pre-prepped recipes?

I hate cooking at 5:00 at night... it drives me bonkers because night time is always the busiest here. We have 4 kids, DH and myself all at home, the house gets chaotic. I need some recipes that I can make at like 10:00 in the morning, when 2 kids are at school and one is napping, and the 4 year old is veggin' watching movies and all is calm then I can just pop it in the oven at 5:00... (I love my crock pot but well, I'm tired of crock pot meals!) Any kid friendly would be great. Anyone have any great ones? Please share!

Advertisement

Jeri, Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), a (1/12) and full time StepMonster to Shelby (16). Married to my soul mate, Eric for over 10 years! Awaiting a rainbow after our loss and 5 years of secondary infertility!
"A strong person is not one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds a tear for a moment, then picks up her sword and fights again!"

Last edited by Craftin'Diva; 10-04-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Craftin'Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How about some casserole/pre-prepped recipes?

I only have one LO but I am going to watch this thread.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
newmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These are not real recipes, per se, but some ideas of things that I prep in the morning.

I like to trim chicken breasts or pork chops and put them in a ziploc to marinade. Then when it is time to cook, all you have to do is dump them in the pan and throw them in the oven.

I also make homemade macaroni and cheese with cubes of ham in the morning and throw it in at dinner time.

I brown ground beef and then use it for spaghetti, tacos, etc. later on.

I hope that helps some. DH doesn't like casseroles, so I'm not much help in that area.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This site has a ton of recipes. I really love that they break everything down into different sized portions too. We've used a lot them and really liked them. Some of them you have to be a paid member to access, but there are a lot of free ones too.

http://www.30daygourmet.com/Recipes/Free_Recipes.aspx
Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can do breakfast for dinner! Sometimes I put together an egg casserole in the morning and bake it when it's time for dinner. Serve w/salad, rolls/toast....whatever ya got!

I don't have an exact recipe, but:
Beat together approx. 10 eggs. Add diced veggies/meat, shredded cheese, etc... I add a little dry mustard or fresh dill.

Line the bottom of a 9x13 pan with those premade crescent rolls- rolled out flat. Pour the egg mixture on top. Bake at 350 for about 45 min or so, until it isn't "jiggly" anymore.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
april-2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could put lasagna together in the morning to cook at suppertime. Same for chicken casserole.

Right after we had our LO, my dad would put together casseroles and bring them over to the house and we'd just pop them in the oven for an hour when we were ready to eat them (like that night or the next day).
Old 10-09-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a bunch...not sure if I have them saved on the computer though. Let me check and see...

Crap, no I don't. I could photocopy them and mail them to you. They're from a mom on here but I must've printed them and deleted the file. I've done a few of them including a yummy Swedish Meatball recipe.

Right now I have a tortellini casserole in the fridge fir us to eat tonight. I basically did a veggie lasagne then used tortellini instead of the lasagne noodles, mixed it all together in a casserole dish, put some parm on top and hopefully DH can figure out how to oreheat the oven and bake it up later today.

oh, and the Menus4Moms website has a ton of stuff, too.

Last edited by FancifulFanny; 10-09-2007 at 05:49 AM.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
rcarver
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can mix up baked spaghetti, put it in the dish, put it in the fridge, and then bake it at night. Lots of casseroles are like that.

Baked Spaghetti

1 onion
1 large green bell pepper
1 can (2.25 oz) sliced black olives, drained
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasonings
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 pound ground beef or sausage or meat substitute
12 oz dry spaghetti
2-1/2 cups water
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 jar (24 oz) spaghetti sauce

Brown the ground beef in a non-stick skillet on medium heat. When done, drain off the fat. Chop up the onion and pepper. Mix the onion, pepper, olives, mushrooms, seasoning, garlic, and sauce in a large mixing bowl. Layer half the noodles in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 in pan. Layer half of the sauce mixture over the spaghetti. Layer 1 cup of the mozzarella over the sauce. Repeat layers: noodles, sauce, cheese. Pour the water over the cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 min. Check the casserole for dryness. If dry, add 1/2 cup warm water. Sprinkle casserole with parmesan cheese and bake for 10 min more.
rcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
AutoShopMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This one's good to make ahead - usually I throw some frozen peas or chopped red pepper in so it doesn't look so "blah"

Creamy Chicken Casserole

Ingredients:

2 C sour cream (16oz)
1 small can of cream of chicken soup
2 t poppy seeds
2 C cubed chicken (cooked)
1 C crushed crackers (ritz) or corn flakes
C melted butter

Directions:

Cube & brown chicken; set aside. In a large bowl combine sour cream, soup, & poppy seeds; add chicken. In another bowl combine crackers & butter. Grease a 8x11 (or 9x13) baking dish; pour chicken mixture in; put cracker mixture on top; bake uncovered for 25-30 mins.

For variety add cooked noodles, or veggies (peas, broccoli, cauliflower).
Old 10-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Rosie-Lily-Violet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could make a pot pie and bake it at dinner time. I make a whole wheat crust one by replacing white flour with ww flour in the Betty Crocker recipe. Or you can make a shepherd's pie by replacing the pie crust with a top layer of mashed potatoes.