Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
see_nelle_run
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My baby's sleep pattern...something's not right.

Since about 3 months of age DS has taken 2 naps per day. Everywhere I read says he's supposed to be taking 3 or 4 naps per day! He's never done this. Over the last couple of weeks he has started waking up every 1-2 hours at night. His sleep schedule is all over the place. It doesn't matter what we do! He always eats dinner, then bath, then bed, usually by 7 (unless he has other plans of course). About a month ago he also stopped taking his 2nd nap during the day AND it's a struggle now to get him down for the first one. All of this plus the night waking makes for and on my part. I do not function well while sleep deprived (most people don't lol).
Here's been the typical schedule...
Wake up 6-6:30
Nap 8:30-9 (unless he's fighting, then it's more like noon) he will usually sleep about 2 hours.
Cry and fuss all afternoon because he's tired (but won't go to sleep no matter what I do)
Start bedtime ritual at 6:30...bed by 7 (unless he fights that too)
Wakes up about 3 hours after he's been put down, occasionally won't go back to sleep for 4-5 hours.
Wakes up every hour or two after the initial waking and not because he's hungry (he won't nurse) and not because he's wet.

I don't know what else to try to do. I'm at my wits end and it frustrates me to tears some days because he just. won't. sleep.
My DD always slept great, often she put herself to sleep so I have no experience with this. Has anyone else gone through this? Any suggestions? Should I call his doctor? Should I break out the Nyquil?

Advertisement

see_nelle_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
carleyann'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My baby's sleep pattern...something's not right.

I hear you momma...my almost 10 month old still night wakes and is hard to get back to sleep. Once a month for a week straight she wakes up around 1 in the morning and will not go back to sleep no matter what we try and I haven't really figured out what her deal is. Naps are hard for us to...she has to be rocked she has never been able to put herself to sleep. She used to powernap too only lately has she really taken good naps but since we have started daycare half day she takes a morning nap for 1-2 hrs and no afternoon nap(which makes for a cranky baby for DH in the evening)

Could he be teething? Is he trying to do anything new like crawl? When DD was hitting milestones it seemed like she would night wake more like her brain was still on thinking about them. And do you swaddle him? Swaddling saved us alot of times when we could'nt get DD back to sleep. I think they just go through crazy sleep patterns. We are still working ours out

Last edited by carleyann'smommy; 10-05-2007 at 02:39 PM.
carleyann'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
see_nelle_run
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your DD sounds just like my DS...we always have to rock him.
I haven't been able to swaddle him since he was 3 weeks old. He just gets mad. lol I think he might be working on pulling up, but I can't be sure...and yes, teething is an option, we're waiting for the top teeth to pop through. Why does it all have to happen at once!
see_nelle_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
carleyann'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by see_nelle_run View Post
Your DD sounds just like my DS...we always have to rock him.
I haven't been able to swaddle him since he was 3 weeks old. He just gets mad. lol I think he might be working on pulling up, but I can't be sure...and yes, teething is an option, we're waiting for the top teeth to pop through. Why does it all have to happen at once!
no kidding...DD waited to cut teeth and then cut 4 at once.

carleyann'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is almost 14 months old and still sleeps terribly. He slept great (I'm talking 6-10 hours straight every night) until he was about 4 1/2 months old, and then he quit sleeping. He wakes up constantly (like every 30 minutes to 5 hours depending on when he wants to), and plus he will only sleep half the night in my bed with me. I'm at a loss too, plus I'm really exhausted. I guess that I'll just have to hope that someday he wants to sleep through the night again....and that he won't nurse all night long too. LOL!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like my oldest son.. and he ended up having night terrors. I'd talk with your pediatrician to see if they have any suggestions. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
jausten
Registered Users
seller

I would definitely talk to your ped, but I am a strong supporter of routine. Me and DD do the same thing every single day and night, and she is a sleeping queen. Like clockwork. We'll have a bad day maybe once every couple of weeks, and most of the time, it's because I missed her sleepy cues and didn't get her down fast enough.

It's simple things like feeding her in the same place, rocking for the same amount of time, putting her down in the same place (for us, that's her crib for all naps and overnight). For naps, she watches her mobile until she falls asleep. For nighttime sleep, she has white noise and her crib-aquarium.

I do think that we're very lucky in that we have a good baby, so it's hard to give advice because I honestly don't know what you're going through. BUT I find that most people who are amazed at how well DD sleeps are also amazed by our routine. A lot of my friends have found that their LO does much better doing the same thing every day.

It's hard, because I sometimes have to give up shopping trips to get her home by naptime, but I just remind myself that this will only last about 6 months, and then she'll be so used to the routine that we can "fudge" every once in a while without detrimental results.

FTR, I don't believe in CIO or anything like that ... but she was STTN at 8 weeks and putting herself to sleep for naps at around 3 months old.

, mama!
expecting #2 sept 2010
jausten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
connorsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW!! IM NOT ALONE !!YAY!! I felt like i was the only mom in the world who's child's sleep schedule continuously changed and who's child doesnt like sleep!! lol

I feel for ya mama.. i havent had a decent night's sleep in 9... well.. i would say more like 12 months because last couple preggo months werent easy!!
Hooray for mamas who have to put up with this, and for those who have the strengh! cheers to you!
Korin mommy to connor 1/11/07 and Addison 11/15/10 due with baby #3 11/10/15
wahm behind Shizz Knitz
connorsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
yummymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is extremely common for sleep pattern to drastically change at 3 months. The babies sleep/wake cycle changes and they can wake more frequently. Naps are individual things. Mine is 8 mos and naps 3 times a day, 2x 2 hrs an 1 25 min, and is up every 2 hours at night. He does sing himself back to sleep on his own all but once at night. I remember your frustration. Mine slept 11 hours straight until 3 months. He was in the hospital for a week. I brought him home and swore they broke him, he was up all the time. My ped claims very common. I also bought the Sleep Book, and it says the same thing. Coles notes: swaddle, white noise, routine, darkened room, calm soothing voice, don't feed to sleep, place in crib sleepy awake, walk away, resist picking them up, reassure, teach them to self soothe and fall back asleep on their own.