Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Dye question

I have several CPF that I just got from another mama. I've always used gerber for burp rags. To make things easier on DH, and so I don't freak out when he grabs my better CPF for a burp cloth, I'd like to dye them.
The catch is I've never dyed any material before. What would be a good brand to use since this is going to cover precious cargo? I like the idea of tie dyeing a few, but most of them I think I'll just do 1 color.
Any suggestions?

Sort of off topic...I got on here to ask this and saw the post about Minky...I bought 1. I'm so addicted to this place already.

need yarn?
trishmom2five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
My Mood:
Re: Dye question

I've just started dyeing. I bought a kit from dharma, but I'm pretty sure they sell Jaquard (sp?) dyes, which you can get at Ben Franklin and probably Michael's. The reason I think it's Jaquard dyes is because it comes in a box with "JAQUARD" on it in big letters, lol. They dye up really nice, and they are easy to do. I like to do low water immersion dyeing for one color. You just get a small bowl or a jar or something, and depending on the kind of effect you want mix the dye, water and fixer and pour it over the cloth that is jammed in the bowl, then let it sit for 24 hours. I like to have flecks of bright color, so I put the dye powder on top of the cloth, and then pour the fixer over top of it. It really makes a nice effect. Dyeing is really fun!
Wife to my Navy doc, SAHM to 4 (11, 8, 5, 1)
Minniebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Dye question

Rainbow Rock dyes works good too from Walmart. I used it to dye a bunch of ipfs. The instructions are in there and they are pretty easy.
Angie Christian Homeschooling Mama to Hannah 12, Clayton 9, Joshua 6, and Hailly 3, and Ellie 1 yr. Blessed by adoption 2x over
mom2hancj is offline   Reply With Quote