Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
tell this clueless FL gal about Snow suits!!! Please :D

Ok we are going skiing next year in March, ds will be about 23 mths old...he's 18mths now and fits into 12mth pants and most 18mth shirts, if they aren't HUGE, so he's on the small end for his age.

Ok so first off, we don't HAVE snowsuits here, there's obviously no reason since I live in FL, so I can't try them on him anywhere, so I have to look online. I have NO IDEA what a kid needs for being in the snow.

Help me with some of these questions and add anything that you think I should know...

So explain to me what about all these different things...I see, snow bibs/pants with jackets, I see fleece snow suits (are those for outside? does it get wet?), I see the one piece snow suits as well.

So what is easier to use or more comfortable for the babe? a one piece suit, or the pants/bibs and jacket sets?

what about the fleece ones, how do those work? and why do they have the fold over feet like the little infant sleepers have, how will an 18mth old walk with those? or are those for sleeping?

here is a pic of what I am talking about
http://cgi.ebay.com/Infant-Columbia-...QQcmdZViewItem

also what about the little booties I see with these sets, do those go over their shoes or just their feet or what?
like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-BOYS-WINTER-...QQcmdZViewItem

Do they need boots? or just tennis shoes?

does he even need any of this? Or just a good jacket and warm pants?

sorry for sounding like an idiot but with snow, I AM an idiot, I know nothing LOL!

Advertisement

Last edited by e_mom_e; 10-08-2007 at 03:57 PM.
e_mom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
4HisGlory
Registered Users
Formerly: 2&1ontheway
seller

Re: tell this clueless FL gal about Snow suits!!! Please :D

I live in NJ so while we don't have the worst winters we have to be prepared for snow. I have always found the two piece snow suits most useful (Jacket and overalls) Because you don't always need the pants (only when they are going to actually be playing in the snow - not when they are just outside in the stroller etc.) so you don't have to buy a seperate coat. If he is actually going to be playing in the snow then I would definitely get him some snow boots (get them a little big so that there is room for warm socks). Tennis shoes aren't waterproof and if his toes get wet brrrrrrr...... I hope that helps!
4HisGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
ladybugg67
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely needs waterproof boots/shoes if he will be down in the snow... which I'm assuming he will be!

I liked the one piece for my ds... but I think part of it was the cuteness factor. He's 21 now and I still have his baby blue snowsuit...

I just thought it was easy - he just stepped in - it unzipped pretty far down with two zippers - I just pulled 'em up and he was done.
ladybugg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hello from Canada!
As kids we always had 2 piece snow suits. They were nylon I think. Polar fleece won't work because it won't be waterproof enough in the snow. We had jackets with the overall type snow pants underneath. Just because you could use the jacket without the pants and still have a warm winter coat. You will definitely need some kind of snow boots. Something that is water proof. You will need hats and water resistant mittens. Not just polar fleece mittens. But something that is nylon or some other waterproof outer. You don't want wet cold hands!
I am going to use these on my babe this year www.stonz.ca
They fit over shoes! I used them last year when he wasn't walking, but he is this year and they will work great I think. HTH some!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I prefer snow pants (also called snow bibs) and jackets. The fit doesn't have to be perfect and it works really well. I don't think fleece hold up enough for snow. Snow boots are much better than tennis shoes. You want snow boots that will allow you to velcro them tighter. If you are having to buy online then you won't be able to try them on and unless the slip on ones fit perfect it is easy for them to get stuck in the snow and fall right off. Plan on attaching his mittens to the coat and get a spare pair of mittens/gloves and a spare hat. Hats with the ear flaps are great, fleece hats work good. I prefer mittens that aren't just fleece, they need a little gripper to the bottom of them.

We usually get pretty nice winter coats but then you can also separate the outside shell part from the rest of the coat so then he woudl have a light jacket if you have any need for that in FL

For you I would pretty much recommend all the same stuff

btw--it seems really odd to me that people in Florida are vacationing in cold spots when most people want to go to Florida for a vacation
Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
I prefer snow pants (also called snow bibs) and jackets. The fit doesn't have to be perfect and it works really well. I don't think fleece hold up enough for snow. Snow boots are much better than tennis shoes. You want snow boots that will allow you to velcro them tighter. If you are having to buy online then you won't be able to try them on and unless the slip on ones fit perfect it is easy for them to get stuck in the snow and fall right off. Plan on attaching his mittens to the coat and get a spare pair of mittens/gloves and a spare hat. Hats with the ear flaps are great, fleece hats work good. I prefer mittens that aren't just fleece, they need a little gripper to the bottom of them.

We usually get pretty nice winter coats but then you can also separate the outside shell part from the rest of the coat so then he woudl have a light jacket if you have any need for that in FL

For you I would pretty much recommend all the same stuff

btw--it seems really odd to me that people in Florida are vacationing in cold spots when most people want to go to Florida for a vacation
Thank you everyone this really helps!!!

Gosh so why do they sell those fleece suits??? what are the point of them? weird

LOL, well when you LIVE in FL all your life, you can swim anytime you want to LOL...I've never skied so this should be really fun...You know, It's funny, people who live in FL always wonder how the heck people want to LIVE in the snow?

Well I am stalking ebay for some cool sets

PLEASE keep the advice coming if you have more to add....
Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
weddell
Registered Users
seller

The fleece sets are warm and would be good for a stroller ride or a little bit of playing in the snow, but they aren't waterproof enough for something like skiing. I second what everyone else said. Definitely try and find used stuff if you can. I just bought dd a pair of snow boots today for $2.50. They are a nice brand and the trends on the bottoms weren't worn down at all. Snow gear gets used for such a short time that it doesn't get worn out.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've lived in Iowa all my life so I'm very used to the snow.

I'd definitely go with a heavy jacket/coat, mittens, bibs, and snow boots. That way if dc's snow bibs get all wet (which they will if he spends more than 5-10 minutes in the snow), you can take them off, but still keep the coat on. To wear all this, I usually pull the socks over the jeans/pants and then put their feet into the boots. This will keep his jeans from riding up and out of the boots. If his jeans get out of the boots, they'll get wet and cold. Then the snow pants go over the boots. Mittens need to be waterproof as well if he's going to be playing in the snow. Pull the coat sleeves over the mittens to keep the snow from getting in his sleeve.

I don't really understand the point in fleece snowsuits either unless hte child is young enough to not be playing in the snow and it's only used for warmth.

Oh also, you aren't supposed to put coats on kids in the carseat. It causes excess bulk and if in a crash, all the material will compress and leave extra room between your child and the seat belt. I would assume the snow pants would be ok to leave on though. If the car hasn't warmed up yet, I throw blankets over my kids or put their coat on backwards after I've buckled them in. Coats are a huge PITA when it comes to carseats.

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
YummyYarnAddict
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Until they're about 2.5yo or so, I prefer the one piece snow suits because you're the one getting them dressed and you can just slip them in and zip 'em up. With the two piece jacket and snow bib, there's more to futz with and it'll likely be too bulky for their little bods to move around in comfortably. My dd's first two piecer was a size 3T.

Definitely get the snow boots. The Lands' End snow flurry boots are a favorite here as they open wide and slip on without much fuss.

I'd go with at least two pairs of gloves/mittens. One pair that's easier for them to move their little hands around in a grab the snow and play in, and the warmer pair w/thinsulate (etc. etc.) to really keep their hands warm when the other pair gets wet. One pair of stiff gloves that they can't really PLAY in is no fun. Besides, gloves get lost very easily and I tend to buy lots of them and always have at least three or four pairs/child whenever we go out to play in the snow. Get a hat w/ear flaps too!

Also... dress in layers. Undershirts and long underwear go a long way to keeping you warm! Wear more than one pair of socks (sock liners are good) and have an extra pair or two on hand because water proof boots aren't always what they claim to be. Dressing in layers kept us warm last winter when we got 3+ feet of snow here. Brrrr!
YummyYarnAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, thank you, thank you...you girls are great..this is so helpful!

oh and just to clarify (since someone mentioned it) but DS isn't going to be skiing, he's just going to play in the snow LOL. Just DH and I are skiing.
My sis is going with us and she'll watch DS while we're skiing.