Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Nursing time too short?

My 6 1/2 month old DD goes 3-4 hours without nursing during the day and about 9 hours at night. When she is nursing, first off, she is EXTREMELY impatient waiting for my letdown. She is always letting go, screaming, latching back on etc etc etc for the 30 or 60 seconds it takes for my letdown to start. It used to start the instant she latched...dunno why it's taking so long now. Then once I have letdown, she nurses for 3-4 minutes off of one side and is done. She used to do 5-20 minutes on one side. She gets cereal and a fruit or veggie in the evening, but not much, we just started, so that shouldnt be interfering badley and no bottles, so I don't understand what is going on. You think it's all just something I have to deal with? or is there something I can do? I just don't understand how she can possibly be getting enough in so short of time, and then the impatience! The other thing is that she is a pincher and a hair puller during nursing and it drives me mad, anything I can do to help with that?

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing time too short?

I'm certain you've probably tried this but do you put her back on the 1st breast after you've finished the 2nd? Could be she's just not patient enough to wait for multiple letdowns??
Old 07-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

She only nurses off of one breast each feeding, I do have a letdown about every 2 minutes though after the first one. After my first letdown she nurses great, but not long yet. If I try to put her on my second breast she just fusses at me and squirms away.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Both of my kids have been SHORT nursers... they are small, but grow at a good rate... maybe she just doesn't need as much food... or maybe she's getting a little bit more efficient?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Mommyof2Princesses
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd nurses a little more frequently but only nurses for five minutes. You can tell she is doing just fine. Some babies just don't nurse long.
Mommyof2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #6
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My middle baby was a very fast nurser as well. Only a few minutes on each side and she was all set for hours! As long as your baby is gaining weight and not too fussy I wouldn't worry.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Well she is a good weight, at her 4 month appt she was already almost 17 lbs and I'm guessing she's close to 20 now, so she's getting plenty of nurishment obviously, but her nursing times are getting shorter and shorter and it's hot out so you'd think she'd need the extra fluids.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #8
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

maybe as she's getting older she's becoming more efficant at nursing. I know Taci used to nurse for half an hour and lately it's less then 10 minutes,but she's growing so I know she's getting enough
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:29 AM   #9
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Her growth sounds great! I'd just keep up the good work... don't worry unless you have to
Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #10
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

What about the pinching, scratching, and hair pulling. I've started tying my hair back while I nurse, but the rest is driving me batty!