Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Hep. B vaccination at birth vs. delayed to 4 or 8 weeks?

Help mamas!
I've never been a mama before. Never vaxed or non-vaxxed a kiddo.

I've read zillions about vaccinations and I just want to make sure I am reading this correctly...

Hep. B vax at birth for infants is needed if the mother carries Hep. B in her blood stream, right? If I've been vaxxed for Hep B, do I carry it?

And if I don't, then is there any negative impact in at least delaying that vaccination until the 4 or 8 week ped. appt?

Advertisement

mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hep. B vaccination at birth vs. delayed to 4 or 8 weeks?

If you do not have Hep B there is absolutely NO REASON WHAT SO EVER that your child needs the vaccine at birth. And they will have screened you for Hep B, so they will know one way or the other.

There's honestly no need for that one for a looooong time. It's generally drug users or not-safe sexually active people who get Hep B. There are other ways to get it, but those are by far the most common. So unless your newborn is going to start up a drug habit or sex life soon after birth, you should be safe waiting.

ETA: I know there is one mama on here who lost her sweet baby girl to this vaccine. I'm sure she will chime in here.

Last edited by JustAugust; 10-09-2007 at 08:01 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

from CDC.gov

Occurs when blood from an infected person enters the body of a person who is not infected.

HBV is spread through having sex with an infected person without using a condom (the efficacy of latex condoms in preventing infection with HBV is unknown, but their proper use might reduce transmission), by sharing drugs, needles, or "works" when injecting drugs, through needlesticks or sharps exposures on the job, or from an infected mother to her baby during birth.

imo, if you dont have it, and your child wont be having unprotected sex or doing drugs during the time you want to delay, there is no harm in delaying.

but keep in mind, i will not be vaccinating my child with this vaccine, so im probably biased, but the above info is from the CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/b/fact.htm
Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Do you guys know if me being vaccinated for Hep B would put it in my blood stream? I'm such a novice here.

I know I was vaccinated for Hep B and we'll be breastfeeding, so it makes sense that he'll have my immunity to Hep B for at least a good chunk of time till we are more sure of our vaccination course of action (if that makes sense).
mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

You do not carry it in your bloodstream if you have been vaccinated against it. Most peds will be happy to delay it to the 4 or 8 week appt if you want
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
If you do not have Hep B there is absolutely NO REASON WHAT SO EVER that your child needs the vaccine at birth. And they will have screened you for Hep B, so they will know one way or the other.

There's honestly no need for that one for a looooong time. It's generally drug users or not-safe sexually active people who get Hep B. There are other ways to get it, but those are by far the most common. So unless your newborn is going to start up a drug habit or sex life soon after birth, you should be safe waiting.

ETA: I know there is one mama on here who lost her sweet baby girl to this vaccine. I'm sure she will chime in here.
Agreed- btw even the most mainstream docs will probably be fine with delaying this one
Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

This is the one vaccine that we have chosen to forgo completely. I got Hep B vaccines when I started working on an ambulance because of the risk of needle sticks... makes some sense. Why in the world do we give this to infants? I have no idea. I will not get this for DS. I mean, stuff like polio... those are harder for me to say no to because I just think what if by some weird chance they get exposed to polio? But there is just no real risk for Hep B exposure. Maybe from a blood transfusion... but I feel like that is way more unlikely to need a blood transfusion and get Hep B from it than it is to have an adverse reaction to the shot.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedbison View Post
This is the one vaccine that we have chosen to forgo completely. I got Hep B vaccines when I started working on an ambulance because of the risk of needle sticks... makes some sense. Why in the world do we give this to infants? I have no idea. I will not get this for DS. I mean, stuff like polio... those are harder for me to say no to because I just think what if by some weird chance they get exposed to polio? But there is just no real risk for Hep B exposure. Maybe from a blood transfusion... but I feel like that is way more unlikely to need a blood transfusion and get Hep B from it than it is to have an adverse reaction to the shot.
i had to post this, straight from the CDC:

Up to 95% of persons infected with polio will have no symptoms. About four to eight percent of infected persons have minor symptoms such as fever, fatigue, nausea, headache, flu-like symptoms, stiffness in the neck and back, and pain in the limbs which often resolves completely. Fewer than one percent of polio cases result in permanent paralysis of the limbs (usually the legs). Of those paralyzed, 5-10% die when the paralysis strikes the respiratory muscles.

basically, 95% of the time, nothing happens. of those 5%, 4-8% are going to feel like they have the flu, and thats IT. LESS THAN 1% of that 4-8% will become paralyzed, and 5-10% of the ONE PERCENT, will die from the paralysis.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
velouria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I see no reason to give Hep B to newborns. We delayed it and actually just started the series for DS 3 months ago (he just had his second shot in the series last week). DS is almost 3-1/2 years old.
velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
~Bug~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's one we won't be getting until I have to... as in, when my kids are about to go to school. Unless I decide to get an exemption form and then we won't at all. I think it's ridiculous that it's part of the recommended schedule for infants and toddlers.

Danielle
Mommy to to DS (2 years old) and DD (1 year old)
EDD - Oct 2008
~Bug~ is offline   Reply With Quote