Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hep. B vaccination at birth vs. delayed to 4 or 8 weeks?

I wouldn't worry about delaying it at all. Where I live the don't give it till Grade 6!

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
ustasmom
Registered Users
seller

If you give Hep B at birth, you will need to do more boosters than if you don't do it at birth.

Hep B is trying to reach the masses.
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
ckdasho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did not do the Hep B at birth. The ped had no problem. Doing it at birth is their way of blanket vax'ing everyone without having to go after the "at-risk" groups, which is un-PC. (I think it's poor ethnic women at highest risk). If you don't have Hep B, then there's no reason to do it at birth. When your LO gets shots, Hep B is combined with DTaP and Polio into one shot. So the one at birth is basically an extra, unneeded shot. If you do have Hep B, or at risk of contracting it during pregnancy, then by all means, get the baby vax'd a birth.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #14
~Bug~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should add-- when DS was born we told the nurse we weren't going to get the Hep B shot. She went off on some rampage about how b/c I was a teacher I was at a greater risk of bringing it home from school and giving it to him. She scared me so I said yes. However, b/c DS was born premature there was a steroid shot he was given that made it so he wasn't allowed to get the Hep B shot until 2 months old. By the time 2 months came around I knew enough to know the nurse was full of it. How was I going to get Hep B from one of my students anyway especially since I've been vaccinated for it? DS never got that shot.

With DD we told the nurses, "We are going to get the Hep B shot at her 2 week appt" knowing full well we had no intention of getting it at all. But the nurses are much happier with that answer. Our ped has no problem with us not getting it right now so it wasn't an issue at 2 weeks. Neither of my kids has had it.

Danielle
Mommy to to DS (2 years old) and DD (1 year old)
EDD - Oct 2008

Last edited by ~Bug~; 10-10-2007 at 11:33 AM.
~Bug~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #15
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Besides IV drug use and unprotected sex Hep B is mostly given from mother to infant. So if yo udon't have it (and aren't givving your baby heroin) don't worry about it. It can be safely delayed. Not to mention that Hep B (although not a pleasant illness by any means) is treatable. My baby is 4 months and she hasn't had hers yet and might not ever.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #16
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about delaying it at all. Where I live the don't give it till Grade 6!
Same here. If you live on the Saskatchewan side of the city they get it in Grade 6. If you live on the Alberta side of the city, you get it in Grade 5.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #17
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The other thing I thought i would mention, in case any one needs the info, is that babies born to hep b positive mothers do not need the Hep B shot, they get a totally different shot (like the tetanus toxoid you get after you have a questionable injury vs the tetanus vaccine). The whole reason the Hep B shot is given to nb's is because they are a captive audience. IT is easier to get parents to vax their nbs than it is to get teenagers and at risk groups to vax.

ETA: forgot to mention one last thing. Your hepB immunity (if you even got any from the vax anyway) will not pass from you through your breastmilk. Vaxed immunity does not pass from mother to child the way true immunity does. Just another way vaxes are inferior. But your baby is not at high risk of contracting Hep B unless you are giving him/her IV drugs or allowing him/her to swim in raw sewage. Not something alot of parents are going to be doing.

Last edited by iris0110; 10-10-2007 at 04:55 PM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #18
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
The other thing I thought i would mention, in case any one needs the info, is that babies born to hep b positive mothers do not need the Hep B shot, they get a totally different shot (like the tetanus toxoid you get after you have a questionable injury vs the tetanus vaccine). The whole reason the Hep B shot is given to nb's is because they are a captive audience. IT is easier to get parents to vax their nbs than it is to get teenagers and at risk groups to vax.

ETA: forgot to mention one last thing. Your hepB immunity (if you even got any from the vax anyway) will not pass from you through your breastmilk. Vaxed immunity does not pass from mother to child the way true immunity does. Just another way vaxes are inferior. But your baby is not at high risk of contracting Hep B unless you are giving him/her IV drugs or allowing him/her to swim in raw sewage. Not something alot of parents are going to be doing.

TOTAL hijack, but can i steal tharen?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didn't read all the responses, but from my own experiences as a new mom I didn't know that I could say no to getting the hep B vax for my first, and she was so uncomfortable from it, she cried and cried while we were in the hospital with my second and third children I denied it, and mine are fine. I didn't have any education on vax's at the time I just didn't do it because I don't think that that little of a baby needs to have a vax that young unless they will be exposed to it.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #20
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToBe84 View Post
TOTAL hijack, but can i steal tharen?
Today I might just let you. He didn't have a nap cause he was too busy with his buddy Duke (the doggie in the picture) and now he is cranky. You'll have a little cutie of your own soon though.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote