Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

PG & Nursing...Support Thread

I figured w/ the bumper crop of pg ladies we seem to have here that there are probably quite a few who're nursing too. I thought it might be nice to have a thread for us to post questions/support stuff in.

I'm not very far along and haven't really started the worst of 1st tri symptoms. as i recall from being pg w/ dd it was probably a few more weeks before the exhaustion, soreness, and nausea (although mine wasn't very bad) really started.

anyway, i've noticed that bfing is a bit less comfortable and i've been trying to be proactive with dd about doing a good latch. and we've also been working on learning to say "bye-bye" and stopping for a little while. i also kinda think my supply may be starting to dip a bit. she's nursing a lot actually, but i've noticed her solids intake seems to be up a good bit too.

i'm wondering when i should expect it to really start getting tough?

so how's everyone else faring?

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: PG & Nursing...Support Thread

Well, for me, it was very surprising that I had NONE of the 1st trimester soreness, especially since sore breasts are my number 1 sign of pregnancy! I was very pleased with that, because Aydin was only 10 months old when I got pregnant and I wanted to nurse him for at least one year, and I was fearful that sore nipples would stop me from accomplishing that. Nursing now--at 31 weeks pregnant--is not fun. It became extremely sore for me to nurse him around 19 weeks pregnant...I'm guessing that that is when my milk completely dried up. It's not just the latch, it's the entire nursing session. Anyway, he's down to nursing just a few times a week, so I can totally handle that.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
kpapple
Registered Users

My Mood:

I became pregnant when my son was 6 months old. Nursing at first was fine. But now I am 15 weeks and my nipples hurt the whole time he nurses. Oh and my milk supply did diminish so he has formula during the day and I have been able to keep my night supply up so he does it only at night. I plan on doing that atleast till he is a year or if he weans himself first.
Good Luck to you!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

I just found out I am pg yesterday. My lil head is spining.
my nips hurt already and she is on me all the time! She is hn. I don't know how I am gonna manage this. OMGH I am freaking out already! I need info. please flood me with info. ttfn
Sarah
Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

hi sarah i don't really have any info (still finding out stuff myself). but i know that the idea of my nursing relationship with dd changing b/c of this pg is really causing me some ambivalent feelings.

i was a bit more worried about it and thinking about it during nursing a lot the first couple weeks. been a little bit less in my mind recently. my soreness has been somewhat better too - although i understand that the physical experience of nursing while pg can really vary a lot from person to person. someone people say they stopped hurting after the 1st tri others say it hurts more later on.

the one thing we've worked on that seems to be helping is getting dd to learn to say "bye-bye" to the bbs when she finishes up on a side/wants to switch/is done/etc. i'm hoping that this concept will translate into mommy saying that the bbs are going "bye bye" if i need a break.

so far night nursing has actually been fine. i know a lot of people end up night weaning though.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd self weaned when I was around 12 or 14wks along - it was gradual and she just quit asking to nurse as often... and once she got her first taste of colostrum that was the end. She asked a couple more times after that and I offered her the breast, but she'd just look at it, giggle and be all done...lol.

My experience in the very early days was that I was sore when dd latched & then it would be ok. I found my milk supply started to drop really fast, and I had to start hand expressing a bit of milk to get it started so that dd wouldn't have a fit when she wanted to nurse and the milk wasn't there right away. Her night wakings became more frequent too.

Emotionally, it was very hard on me. For one I started feeling really antsy when she was nursing, but mostly I felt guilty that she was weaning because she was frustrated at the lack of milk. The hardest thing for me was when dd got mad during a nursing session and started saying "more, more" and I knew there just wasn't anything left for her.

My dd was between 22months and 23months when she weaned, and honestly I was quite ambivalent about tandem nursing and am glad now to not be going down that road... but I felt guilty that my mlk supply dropping led her to weaning instead of it being 100% her own idea.

My breasts actually got much much more sore & sensitive after my dd weaned, and they've started growing again - they'd shrunk back to close to pre-pg size due to low supply.

So anyways, sorry to write a novel, but that was my experience anyways. I think that bf'ing while pregnant is really a different experience for each woman, and my guess is that it can vary a lot even for the same woman from pregnancy to pregnancy.

I wish you all the best for your pregnancies & hope that your bf'ing relationship continues on the way you want it to with your dc.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
gymrat
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS loves his Mama's milk to much to give it up. He will be 22 months on the 6th and I will be 31 wks tomorrow. My nipples have been so sore for quite some time plus to top that DS has been putting his teeth in me (he has gotten several teeth now while I was preggo).

My friend had a DD in Jan and she said her DS weaned himself bc she dried up about 2 months (it really hurt when she was dry and he tried) before DD came but once the milk came back after DD her DS started back up a little though she started pumping off the excess and was putting that in a cup for him.

My DS has signed and (just started) say more more sometimes. I would tell him it is there and he would just re-attach himself. So far he has not really cried that I have noticed. I did notice my breast had gotten smaller but now they seem to be getting slightly bigger again.

At times, I wish DS would just wean himself bc I just want to cry when he is BFing bc it hurts so much but I know it is such a comfort for him. I am glad that we are down to less than 10 times a day now usually.

I keep wondering if DS is going to want to BF more when DC2 comes. DS was a constant nurser it seems looking back to when he was a newborn (a feeding lasted 45 mins to 1 hr usually then like an 1 hr or so later we started back again). So will we see in 9 wks 1 day or so.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Just figured I post back. Things are still going ok here. I think my supply is dropping some but not dramatically yet. I haven't really been too sore yet - except that DD is cutting her canines and has been nursing non-stop at night. That always made me sore before I too.

How's everyone else?
Old 08-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
davejenbarnes
Registered Users

Just found this thread. I'm in week 2 of the weaning process... and 11 weeks along, due on March 4. DS turns 13 months old in another week. He's down to first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

My supply took a huge crashing blow when I was about 7 weeks along. Plus it hurt so bad. I actually did cry. He's cutting his canines now and I know he wants to bite, too... so many teeth... anyhow...

I am relieved that we made it to a year but I am really really sad at the same time. I had big problems gaining enough weight with my 1st pregnancy and with nursing on top of being preggo on top of not eating because of the morning sickness... it's no wonder my milk was the first to go. He doesn't get much milk at all. We had a good go of it, but my body needs the few calories that I do manage to eat for this next baby. Being underweight has its down sides, too, and this is part of it, unfortunately. That's probably why I've been so dizzy, too, and having tunnel-vision every time I stand up.

I'm glad I found this thread and I'll update until I'm no longer PG AND nursing.

-Jen
davejenbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
ThreeBunniesMoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not pg but my experience with nursing and being pg is this. I got pg when dd #1 was 9 months old. My supply took a nose dive at about 14-16 weeks. For 2-3 weeks my dd got really agressive at the breast and it was super painful. She finally self weaned right at 15 months.