Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
mysweetboys
Registered Users

tight foreskin - 3 y.o.

My 3 y.o. DS has been peeing REALLY frequently for the past few days, so last night DH took him to the walk-in clinic. According to DH, the Dr. didn't try to retract the foreskin but did move it enough to see the opening in the glans. The Dr. tried to tell DH that this frequent peeing is related to his foreskin being too tight - as if just suddenly it is too tight for him to do a big pee lleyes2: . He prescribed a steroid cream and suggested we see a urologist. My family Dr. has also checked DS's penis in a similar manner when we thought he had a UTI and also said the foreskin is tight, but said to give it more time before becoming concerned (I would guess this was almost a year ago). I realize that MOST boys would have a looser foreskin by now, but my gut feeling is that likely nothing is WRONG with his penis, and I don't want to do anything unnecessary. Nor do I want more Dr.'s poking and prodding at his penis and potentially damaging it if it's fine now. Does anyone have links to good, reliable websites that might help me decide whether to use the cream (and how to use it since he said to retract the foreskin enough to see the glans before applying it), and whether to see a urologist now or wait longer.
Thanks!

Advertisement

mysweetboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
Formerly: Diaper'nDiva
seller

My Mood:
Re: tight foreskin - 3 y.o.

Uhm, if you are even able to see the glans at 3 years old, he's fine... my 4 year old doesn't even retract enough to be able to see anything and he has never once had any problems... I can't imagine that a tight foreskin would make him urinate more frequently, just that it would take longer to get it all out perhaps but more frequent? I don't have any resources but I would ask over at MDC. I'm sure they could help.

Has he been playing more and perhaps drinking more? There are so many other things it could be...
Jeri, Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), a (1/12) and full time StepMonster to Shelby (16). Married to my soul mate, Eric for over 10 years! Awaiting a rainbow after our loss and 5 years of secondary infertility!
"A strong person is not one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds a tear for a moment, then picks up her sword and fights again!"
Craftin'Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Lilipop
Registered Users

My son (9yrs old) has only just been able to pull his back in the past 6mths or so, which apparently is totally normal!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

too tight for what?

if he can pee, its not too tight. normal age of retraction is birth to puberty. leave it alone and it will be fine. i would not use the cream or see a urologist. it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with his penis. also, pulling the foreskin back at all is retracting it- make sure only your son does that. not you or dad or a dr. there is nothing anyone needs to see in there.

is he drinking more than usual? does diabetes run in your family? that's the only thing i can think of. i think increased urination is a symptom of diabetes (not that it is likely, jsut throwing that out there).

if you want links and resources, ask this at mdc in the case against circ forum.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think that's right. I mean, there's a very very very very slim chance it could I guess, but it doesn't even seem like that would be an issue. I guess if his hole is being covered (like grown over) somehow by the foreskin, then it could be an issue, but as long as that's not happening, he should be just fine. Maybe a UTI or something. I would look into that first.

Last edited by JustAugust; 10-10-2007 at 11:37 AM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That dr. is stupid. LOL! Honestly I think your DS is fine. The dr. should have only just peaked at it to make sure that it's no growing over the pee pee hole, then maybe checked for a UTI. The dr. might just be all about circing. Good luck! I hope that you can figure out what is up.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
SunkenShip
Registered Users

Um if he's able to urinate there's no problem. The doctor sounds misguided.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I loved what my kids' pediatrician said when my son's foreskin didn't retract at his three year check up. She said "Don't worry. I've never seen a thirteen year old who couldn't move it!!" LOL She's so laid back and it just makes you relax. If you research it online, you will find out it's not unusual at all at that age.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
mysweetboys
Registered Users

Thanks so much for the replies! I should have mentioned that the Dr. did a urine screen which showed no sign of UTI or sugar in the urine. I don't think he's been drinking more than usual. I don't know what to do ... he's still peeing ridiculously frequently, so I think I should get a 2nd opinion, but I'm honestly not sure I'll trust the 2nd opinion any more than the first and I suspect my family Dr. will also think he needs to move the forskin enough to see the urethral opening at least... Maybe I need to do a search online to see if there are any conditions other than UTI and diabetes that cause frequent urination.
Thanks again everyone!
mysweetboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is he potty training? Just a thought.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote