Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long did you bf for? Did you dc self wean?

I Nursed DD for 7 months and am still nursing DS at 16 m onths. he is nowhere NEAR weaning. He is night weaned (for the most part), but nurses a lot in the morning and before his naps. We will nurse as long as he wants!

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Taiven self weaned at 30 months (2 1/2 years) and then went to the zoo and saw a gorilla nursing that was older than him and came home and asked to nurse again...I let him try but my milk was only drops after the couple weeks he had stopped and he got over wanting to continue really quick haha...he also still had a pacifier and self weaned 3 weeks before he turned three...
Old 07-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #13
shandi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long did you bf for? Did your dc self wean?

Thanks for all the responses so far mamas I like the gorilla story, LOL!

And the links bobandjess I'm going to check those out right now!

I guess I'll have to take having a second child into consideration too, since we'd ideally like to space them about 2 and a half years apart. I can see how the ultra sensitive preggo nipples and nursing might not be so enjoyable.

Last edited by shandi; 07-23-2006 at 09:25 PM.
shandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #14
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

i weaned ds2 at 2.5 because i hated tandem nursing I am a VERY avid believer in child led weaning and it broke my heart to do that. I made it through the absolute horriblw pregnancy nursing to give up like that . I am still nursing ds3, 11mo, and plan to continue till he decides he's through
Old 07-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

21 weeks Ella weaned becaue I got pg wiht Trenton
Old 07-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #16
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Aydin is 17 months old and is breastfeeding 2-3 times per week, or about every other night before bed. (BTW, I'm 31 weeks pregnant.) I'm unsure on the self-weaning. I'll admit that I did push for day weaning, then the night weaning. I don't mind him nursing once at night to help him sleep, but he doesn't even do that anymore. I feel like I can easily persuade him to give it up altogether, but I love nursing him. If I weren't pregnant, then I'd want to continue. But since the baby is close to being born, I wonder if I should encourage him to wean altogether? I just don't know what Aydin's nursing habit will become once the baby is here, like will he want to nurse more often because the baby is? Or will he be satisified with what he's getting now? I'm just so confused!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #17
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well DS was weaned at 8 weeks and DD1 at 2 weeks, mostly because my doctor was an idiot...

BUT... DD2 is still going strong at a year! I plan on letting her self-wean. I'm just so thrilled to be able to nurse long-term that I don't want to stop!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
most likely, any child who appears to "self wean" before 2 is actually on a nursing strike, or the mother is weaning without realizing it......
Just wanted to second this as well... DD and I just went through a terrible nursing strike (which was preceeded by BITING!) that lasted well over a week where she hardly nursed at all.. I'd get her to nurse some in the mornings, and then she just wasn't interested at all the rest of the day.. she'd latch and then let go and turn her head away, or throw her head back adn throw a fit.. so it wasn't for lack of trying, she just wouldn't do it. I was terrified that my milk would dry up because I can't pump (it hurts plus I can't actually get any milk out) but once she started nursing again my supply picked right back up... and I was actually semi-engorged for a few days afterwards, without me doing anything special (I bought some fenugreek right as she started nursing again, but I only took it once)

I think if I hadn't been 110% committed to nursing her, it would have been INCREDIBLY easy to wean her at that point... I realized at the end that she was cutting all FOUR of her first molars, all at once, and that explained the biting and the strike that followed.... it probably hurt her a great deal to nurse.

DD is almost 13 months and my "goal" is until she is 2, but really she is free to nurse as long as she wants to. I just got her a "still nursin'" tee, and I'd like her to be able to wear it for a while
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #19
keeperof3angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just wondering how often dc nurse after age 1 or 1 1/2, my dd is fixing to be one and she hardly ever nurses during the day that much, she mainly nurses in the morning a couple times, and then maybe once during the day, then once at night before bedtime...is that normal? Right now she is so into food that i think that is the reason for her lose in interest in nursing, but as soon as the "newness" of food wears out then i think she will be nursing more.

But how much really does a 1 1/2 plus year old nurse? or even a 2 plus year old? Is it just at night?? And do they have anything else besides juice or water? Do you give them cows milk or anything during the day?

TIA!

Ashlynn (12/8/00) Jadyn (1/3/03) Madisyn (8/16/05) Gavin (7/10/07)
keeperof3angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

I regret it but I weaned my first daughter at 6 and a half months and my second at a year old. I wish I had let them lead the way and self wean.

I plan on nursing until ds doesn't want to anymore. We'll see how long that is. He's not super attached to it, he doesn't take pacifiers either so I have a feeling he's going to wean before mama is ready
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote