Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Starting solids/Constipation-I need help!

My lo has just begun solids about 2 weeks ago. All seemed well, until I got a stomach bug last weekend. Milk supply was low, and during the week while my milk was coming back, he was very interested in solids....ate 2 starter size jars of babyfood 1 night. So, yesterday he began to cry when having a BM. Poop was not dry or overly hard (like thick peanut butter) but he still was crying and only pooping a little at a time on and off through out the day. Also was not interested in nursing as much as usual. So, this morning I helped the little guy get unclogged with a little liquid glycerin. He feels much better now, But how do I keep this from happening again? Smaller amounts of babyfood for now? Add juice when feeding solids? Alternate "binding foods" with peaches/pears and such to keep him moving? (FYI: He had only been eating bannanas and applesauce, which did nothing to help the problem) This is my 3rd child, and I feel like such a dummy! But I can't remember how things went with the other two..... TIA

Advertisement

Last edited by adensmom; 10-06-2007 at 12:51 PM.
adensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Starting solids/Constipation-I need help!

This is just my opinion, but maybe his body is not ready for solids yet? If it were me, I would back off from spoon feeding. If you feel that he is really interested in solids, give him little bits of soft food that he can pickup himself.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

How old is your lo? I would definitely limit the babyfood intake. You want to keep mama's milk the primary nutrition. If he doesn't get enough food to fill up on, he can fill up on milk instead. You may need to do a "p" food every night... do half "p" half something else. P foods prevent constipation... prunes, pears, peaches... I'm probably forgetting some! You can do a little juice or water along with the solids to help.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
fishermanswife
Registered Users

Has he been having rice cereal or a cereal fortified with iron? that backs up my kids. I found pears to be a WONDERFUL laxative; not too strong but made them soft again.
FW
Old 10-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
AngelW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little one got constipated when he first started solids, too, but it eased off after a few weeks. I think it was the banana I was adding to his cereal that did it. He was also very pukey after the cereal with bananas, but once I stopped giving him bananas he stopped puking any the constipation eased up.

Mommy to Nicholas Ryan
Born 02-22-07
AngelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
yotricia02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah we have issues with Bananas too. Prunes and Oatmeal unstop my LO just fine. Also, applesause does the trick.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Stop the bananas!!! And the white rice cereal. We had probs at the beginning too. Now I give him oatmeal with pear/plum combo every morning and have had no probs since.
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

My Ben got constipated shortly after we started solids. I stopped for a few days and then reintroduced foods. I read that bananas and sweet potatoes can cause constipation....his 2 faves! So I cut way, way back on those!!!!

He now eats bananas and sweet potatoes (just last week intro. those again). So far it's ok.

He has never had white rice baby cereal. Oatmeal, brown rice and tonight mixed.

We also make just about all he eats. DH is the "cooker"--he's going crazy over all the squashes. Ben has had tasted so many different squashes...more than I have in my life! HE LOVES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
shllywlly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD had the same problem and she didn't start until like 7 months. I think it is just an adjustment on their system and it's harder on some than on others (no pun intended). I stopped giving bananas and cereal until things had a chance to work themselves out. I just gave fruit, avocado, oatmeal and some veggies. She also only got solids like once a day until very recently when I started giving her finger foods to entertain her while her big brother ate. She seems to like that much better anyway. I also make my own baby food.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I gave my first DD rice cereal first and it constipated her. I started giving her prune baby food mixed with oatmeal or alone and it cleared the problem right up. I never started another baby out on rice and have never had the problem again. I always start with oatmeal now, then later add vegis and fruits.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote