Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
peike
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: So how do I covince him?

Thanks
Right now my first thing to explain to him is that CDing is much better than to buy jumbo package about every1.5 weeks. Plus wipes.And all together even when paid for washing in laudromat or soon our own water+electric, At the end it is not more espensive but less or maybe equal but better for everybody. Just it would be nice when start up costs werent so high. But lad out so it would not seem so high

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momovthree
Ask him to put some paper towels down his pants and ask him how that feels....

I think the velour, fleece and sherpa is much more comfy on my son's tush than paper disposables

funny.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #13
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My husband was hesitant, but then I compared the costs to sposies. Tell him blowouts are less common in cloth too. The Husband is all for cloth now. LOL He loves to shock everyone with a bright dipe. If you can, just tell him you want to do this and you'd appreciate he go along. For us, it was just like changing a sposie, except we wash 'em.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
christiansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Uuuggghhh, put a sposie on once and have him experience the nasty chemical smell when they wet/poop. I am cd'ing my foster baby and have to put him in sposies for his visits. That terrible (too familiar smell - I sposied my son 8 years ago) was enough for me to never want to go back!

Also, your cloth dipes have resale value and the detergent you have to use is minimal. You don't have to use expensive detergent....that is a personal choice.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #15
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

And if you plan to have more than one child . . . there you go.

That said, I have spent WAY MORE THAN NECESSARY on cloth diapers, just because they are so darn cute!

The way we started out was by HAUNTING the FFS board here (thanks to several of you mamas!) and picking up things as we could, one litte thing at a time. I also received some wonderful covers from another mama on www.freecycle.org (people give away useful things they no longer need, to keep them out of a landfill). We kept on buying sposies, but spent $3 and $5 here and there to build up a "cheapie" stash, using them as we went along. When I ran out of cloth (because I didn't have enough to go 2 days), I'd put him in sposies. As my cloth stash grew, I needed the sposies less and less.

We also kept track of how much we spent on cloth . . . and the way we did it, there was no initial outlay of a couple hundred. We calculated how long it would take the diapers to "pay for themselves," and it was 4 months. So from now on out, we're diapering him for free!

Go look on the back of your washer and dryer and calcualte the watts (cost is explained on your electric bill). It will not be NEAR what you're paying for sposies!

Good luck, but BEWARE THE ADDICTIONS! Bwa-hahaha!

Katie
Old 07-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #16
cldaniele
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiansmom

Also, your cloth dipes have resale value and the detergent you have to use is minimal. You don't have to use expensive detergent....that is a personal choice.

Good luck!
Yes, show him what diapers go for used on ebay compared to their cost new. That should help convince him. You get so much of your money back when you're done with cloth diapers. You get nothing back from paper diapers.

Also, you'll be using less rash cream. lol
cldaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #17
Summer
Registered Users
seller

Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #18
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer
If it was my dh though, he'd probably say it felt good just for spite
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #19
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

Yep, $2,000 for diapers for one child for 2 years with coupons and on sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't include disposable wipes, cremes, etc either!

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #20
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peike
Thanks
Right now my first thing to explain to him is that CDing is much better than to buy jumbo package about every1.5 weeks. Plus wipes.And all together even when paid for washing in laudromat or soon our own water+electric, At the end it is not more espensive but less or maybe equal but better for everybody. Just it would be nice when start up costs werent so high. But lad out so it would not seem so high

As for start up cost, they don't have to be that high. I started w/ 1 dz CPF (new) and 3 covers (new) and spent $65. Of course I was washing diapes almost every day. Total to date I have spent less than 200 and I have enough PF and covers to last 3+ days. I bought more PF and next size up covers, as well as a swim diaper and 3 just because they are cute diapers. I don't have a lot of the fufu diapers that are so cute, but I still have some cute covers that do an excellent job. Also I don't know how many children you plan to have, but you can save your PF and covers for later children and have no out of pocket (or very little for the next child). So he really has to think about the long term. The 200 I have spent should get my DD through potty training and she is only 1 (we started when she was 6 mo.)

Also make sure you go to one of those calculator sites and really see what you will save. I know we have saved hundreds of dollars in the last 6 mo.

I hope all these post help convince your hubby it is a good idea.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote