Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Chicken pox and flesh-eating disease?

No flames please, I am just wondering if anyone else has heard of this. My DH's aunt is the head of our regions healthcare dept for vaccinations, so obviously she is pro-vax. I was having a healthy debate with her on vaccinations on Thanksgiving monday, and she told me that because of the super-bugs these days, 10% of all children who get chicken pox end up getting flesh-eating disease in one or more of the open sores. She said it wasn't an issue 20+ yrs ago when I was a kid and had it, but it is now.

This is the first I've heard of this, has anyone else heard of this?

Advertisement

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken pox and flesh-eating disease?

Don't super-bugs normally come about because of vaccines/antibiotics? We try to prevent these natural things and then they mutate to make sure we can't. *shrug*

I am sure it could be possible. Maybe like a staph infection? But that would come from having open wounds. Chicken pox wouldn't just end up as a flesh eating disease. Your child would need to come into contact with someone who had something like that. I've never heard of chicken pox themselves becoming flesh-eating. Ever.

My kid has already had chicken pox once and he was just fine. I saw once because he was only 12.5 months and it was a very light case, so I'm expecting them again.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

I think if that were true that they would be using it as a push for kids to get the CP vax. As pp said it might be that the spots can develope a staph infection of one strain or another, one of those being "flesh eating", but I seriously can't imagine that if that was happening that often that it wouldn't be more widely used as a scare tactic. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimibella View Post
I think if that were true that they would be using it as a push for kids to get the CP vax. As pp said it might be that the spots can develope a staph infection of one strain or another, one of those being "flesh eating", but I seriously can't imagine that if that was happening that often that it wouldn't be more widely used as a scare tactic. Just my opinion though.