Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
suzy0005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help me fold Prefolds Please!

I feel like I've done a decent job putting my little guy in prefolds. I looked at different ways to fold them and I use the angelwings (I think that's what it's called) way of wrapping. (Trifold, but open up the wings in back so you can wrap to the side and snappi - does that even make sense? ) I love the prefolds, but my son TOTALLY blasts out of them every time he has a bm! It's terrible and gets ALL over his wool cover too, sometimes even his clothes. Fortunately, he's still small enough that he's EBF, but still! Yuck! I RARELY have a problem like this with my regular fitteds. Can someone recommend a better fold, or a better way to do this fold so we don't have this problem? I tried the rolling in fold, but he blasted out of that too. Help please!

Thanks!
Suzy

Advertisement

suzy0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
5browns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me fold Prefolds Please!

I wanna know too. I can use all the help I can get.
5browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I used to do the backwards fold on DD#1 as shown in these photos.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/b.../DiaperChange/

I never had too many issues with that fold. I use the same general concept on DD#2. I don't put her on her tummy for diaper changes since she's so small still. the explosion rate is 50/50 because it's a little trickier getting her diapers snug at her legs. I've also been trying to master pinning so that makes room for error.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
er517
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe give the jelly roll fold a try
http://www.littleturtleknits.com/sidewallpf.htm

Last edited by er517; 10-11-2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added a link
er517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
suzy0005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The jelly roll fold was the other one I tried (I called it the rolling in fold - couldn't remember what it was called) that he blasted out of. Maybe I'll try it do it tighter? Or expect that he'll blast out of prefolds at this age? I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should know or do...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

I do jelly rolled then i bring it between babes legs and fold down the top outwards. I make it tight and really stretch the snappi to get a perfect fit. I noticed my husband was getting frustrated that it didn't look like mine, so I watched him do it, and he wasn't getting it tight enough or stretching the snappi, he was just hooking it in enough to stay in the fabric, not hold the diaper together... (i sure hope I am making sense.... )

and since a picture is worth a thousand words...
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
MommyRidd
Registered Users

My Mood:

Are the prefolds you're using too large? How big is your child & what size pf's are you using?

Have you done the trifold & then lay it in the diaper cover (no Snappi needed)?

My DS has skinny little thighs & the pf can easily gap. Here's my method:

- I don't do any folding prior to laying him on the pf. Just lay it down & put him on it so that the back of the pf sits at the height of his belly button.

- Once he's on the pf, then I bring in the 2 sides (below his bum) so that the material is really close to his bum & then bring up the middle. There's usually quite a bit extra material at the top, so I fold it over INSIDE, not outside, & then pull at the sides, so it creates wings on the sides.

- Then I bring the backside of the pf up & around & then Snappi real tight. Rarely do I get blowouts this way. I would imagine folding down the front on the outside would be the same, but he's always had issues leaking out the tops of his diapers (must be a boy thing!) so I started rolling the top inside & I just liked how the wings came out further, at least IMO.

He's sleeping at the moment but, if you need, I'll attempt to take pics next diaper change, if he'll let me!!
MommyRidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
suzy0005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm using Infant prefolds and my son is probably somewhere around 14 lbs. (4 1/2 mo. old). He doesn't have skinny thighs, but they aren't huge either. Definitely more towards the chubby side though. I haven't been folding the prefold down once I bring it up between his legs (btw, I've been doing pretty much everything else you're describing). Maybe if I pull it tighter, I'll be able to do that. It always FEELS and LOOKS tight when I do it, but then when I change him I'm always wondering why it looks like there's gapping!

I haven't tried just using a cover w/o a Snappi. I thought that was a sure way to get a mess??

I wouldn't mind a picture or two to see if there's anything I'm missing in this!
Thanks!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
MommyRidd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Help me fold Prefolds Please! ** PIC HEAVY **

OK, my kid HATES getting his diaper changed so the pics aren't as precise as I would like them to be - but....here goes with my explanations I use Regulars from CottonBabies (12x16)

Lay the diaper lengthwise

Fold in the bottom half as close to baby's bum as you can get it (tape measure is hiding baby bits - his legs are up somewhere, probably kicking me in the face...remember, he hates his diaper changes

Draw up the folded middle as high & tight as possible

Fold the top down inside, rather than outside the diaper so it creates wings on the side & a little extra fabric for wetness at the top

Pull the wing on the right so it reaches the middle of baby's thigh & pull the back of the prefold over then Snappi or pin

Do the same on the other side, pulling up so there's little gap at the legs

Laying down, no gaps - if he were to sit up, there WOULD be gapping, but that's what the cover is for...

Sitting up - see - gaps

A fully diapered 15-mth old 21 lb skinny tall boy

And with a cover - see - no gaps. This is a Bummis cover - I prefer Thirsties because their leg gussets are much better, but the 1 Thirsties I have was dirty

And this is why I love pf's with thin covers - easy to clothe, no big bums, no leaking. I rarely use a doubler & I rarely get leaks, even with BMs.

As for tri-folding the pf, no, I still get no leaks, but I am almost gauranteed to get a dirty cover if he poops because it's not wrapped tight around his thighs. BUT, both the Bummis & Thirsties contain the poop, so...it's still all good. My DH does not do well with diapers so it's easiest to just tri-fold them & lay them in the cover, for him. Makes no difference to me whatsoever, we still never get leaks.

Also, I would maybe order some Regulars & see how those fit. I didn't know much about pfs when I started using them & now I'm thinking my life would be even EASIER if I had 4x8x4 rather than what I have right now - 4x6x4. Probably wouldn't need to change them as often. I've done the research & most mommas recommend GreenMountainDiapers prefolds hands down http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm. Try a few of their Regular size, you'll need them anyway as he gets bigger. You can fold down the back & front if needed until he gets a little bigger.

I don't even know what the jelly roll fold is - anyone fill me in? Thanks!

HTH!!
MommyRidd is offline   Reply With Quote