Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sigh...Are there going to be patents on AIOs now?

http://www.rumpsters.com/articles.php?article=17

If I'm reading this right, it is the flap design they are tring to patent.

Advertisement

navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #12
margarita
Registered Users

I'm sure what Rumpsters is trying to get patented is the way their soaker flaps are constructed, not an AIO in general. There are several AIO's that are patented. Kushies is one of them. There are a couple others that I've seen that aren't commercially marketed. And each has their own unique features. Fuzzi Bunz didn't patent the pocket diaper, what they had patented is the fabric combination and the way the diaper is constructed.

I know the pocket licensing has left a bad taste in a lot of WAHM's mouth. And not all patented or patent pending products will end up the same way. There is a very good reason for getting a unique idea patented. For us, it's to prevent the "bigger guys" from putting us out of business. I'm sure that's what FB had in mind as well. I doubt that they had this whole licensing thing in mind when they applied for a patent.

And just what Sarah said, you can either view this as a stumbling block or a launch pad to greater ideas. I hear this a lot, "there's only so many ways to make a diaper." This isn't exactly true. There's a bazillion ways to make a diaper, whether it's a pocket or an AIO. If you don't limit yourself to what "others" are making and what everybody else is using, the possibilities are endless.

Margarita
margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmm, that is intriguing......

I very rarely buy aios,so I only have a couple, and i have no idea who they are from, just various wahms, but I often wonder about this myslef... After over 2 years of just creating a pattern that works for MOST babies, I would be scared I wouldnt be able to sell them anymore...
Old 07-23-2006, 11:06 PM   #14
clothdiaperoutlet
Registered Users

My Mood:

I looked into getting a patent for my inserts. Even if you do all the patent work yourself, you're still looking at $5000-$6000 cost and several years to get the final approval. It's a LOT of work and I chose not to do it. Kudos to anyone who has the guts and persistance to get one.

Serving families since 2005!
clothdiaperoutlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #15
mommato2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDots
Patents protect the creator and allow them to benefit from their work. You can view it as a stumbling block or as a launch pad to greater ideas.
I definetly agree, you can't let this stop you and really it makes you work harder at coming up with great new ideas. And kuddos to everyone who goes beyond the "typical" diaper and creates something original!

Thank you all for explaining how it's not the same as what FB had patented. I wasn't on the net when all that happened, just learned about it this year, but I've been making diapers for 2 years now and it came as a shock when I learned I couldn't sell pockets without a license, hehe. So got a bit scared when reading AIOs (ok, not the typical AIO but Rumpsters unique flaps) are patent pending. So thank you for clearing that up, I can go on making AIOs-AI2s without worrying , woohoo!