Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
Twoplussixis8
Registered Users
Formerly: granolamama5
seller

My Mood:
Re: RhoGam RH-

Quote:
Originally Posted by peypeymama View Post
I know a couple who because of their religion, could not have the shot. They ended up only have one child, because her body would not accept any other fetuses.

I suppose it depends on how many children you want to have and if your body develops strong enough antibodies to mc.
This is number 6 and we believe our last baby

Advertisement

Gluten-free "LIVING" can be a pleasant experience with a "good attitude"

http://glutenfreefoodsrock.blogspot.com/
Twoplussixis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not and will not get it because both DH and I are both O neg. BUT, the midwife's office I go to still tries to tell me I should get it in case the baby isnt his I have not researched the contents of the shot, so Im not sure about the ethics of it. It does sound pretty necessary though.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granolamama5 View Post
This is number 6 and we believe our last baby
If the other 5 are his, then I wouldnt think you should have a problem.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #14
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionnecherub View Post
I have not and will not get it because both DH and I are both O neg. BUT, the midwife's office I go to still tries to tell me I should get it in case the baby isnt his I have not researched the contents of the shot, so Im not sure about the ethics of it. It does sound pretty necessary though.
They really said that!! Wow, they would have heard it from me. That is insane. And just because the other 5 are ok, that doesn't mean she couldn't have trouble w/ the last one. DS1 is neg and DS2 is pos. I could have another pos child and misscarry it. She could have 4 Lo's that are neg and one that is pos and if this one is pos it could cause her to have problems.
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #15
Twoplussixis8
Registered Users
Formerly: granolamama5
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionnecherub View Post
If the other 5 are his, then I wouldnt think you should have a problem.
Yep they all belong to my husband

Gluten-free "LIVING" can be a pleasant experience with a "good attitude"

http://glutenfreefoodsrock.blogspot.com/
Twoplussixis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #16
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I would get it anyway. Just because you plan on not having any more kids, doesn't mean that life won't throw something unexpected at you.

I am rh sensitized to anti E, there is no rhogam shot for my sensitivity, but I wish there was. No one knows how I got sensitized, but they think it was while I was pg with my son. I had no bleeding and no trauma whatsoever. I had no idea that I got sensitized until I delivered him. Now, any children I have are at a higher risk of edema (swelling), jaundice - possibly need a blood transfusion, and hemolytic disease of the newborn which can cause death. It's really not something to mess around with, and IMO is worth a couple of shots.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #17
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got the rhogham at 28 weeks preg and 72 hours after I had him. Not a big deal at *all*. I figure it was worth it for the sake of my body and other children I wanted to have.

What happens is if you don't get the shot and your baby is a positive blood type and your blood mixes (either during labor, or if you have spotting, or m/c or whatever) then it can cause your body to "attack" other things with a positive blood type (ie future children, current baby).

My doc said that usually the first child will be ok, the second child might be anemic or something and the third child would be in a large amount of danger.

I wanted to make it clear too that its *not* a vaccine for your baby, its a vaccine for you, so even if your children are selectively Vxed this one won't come into play for them at all. Just you and your arm and/ or butt depending on where they give the shot.

To me well worth dealing with the pain of a shot.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #18
HollyS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2two View Post
I would get it anyway. Just because you plan on not having any more kids, doesn't mean that life won't throw something unexpected at you.

I see a huge difference between this and having your child immunized. I've had the shots with each pregnancy and I'm very thankful for it. I've always wondered what the risks of the shot are, but the risks of not having it are so much greater!
Mommy to DD (11), DS (8), DD (6), DD (3), and #5 due 2/14
HollyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:41 AM   #19
vanillabean
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mother is Neg as am I. My dad is Pos. When she had her first(my brother), he was pos. At that time they did not offer the shot. She had no problems with him. Her next pregnancy she miscarried at 4 months. then she got pregnant with me(I am neg) and was able to carry me to term because our blood was compatible but she had alot of complications. If there had been such a thing then, she would not have miscarried her second. I think it is well worth getting. I got mine a few weeks ago and it was a breeze. It's not worth it to me to lose a baby over not getting it....IMHO
vanillabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:14 AM   #20
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

My grandmother had a stillborn son, and at least 2 miscarriages that we believe were due to Rh incompatibility. I am neg, DD and DH are both pos, so there is no way I would not get the shot. DD was born with the "help" of forceps which cut her little ear, so in all likelihood, our blood did mix. All the hopes and dreams that I have for my child are not worth losing over something that can be prevented.