Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
ljane81
Registered Users
seller

Smelly Smelly! Need Help!

I am very new to Cding and I need some help. I am noticing that my inserts for my pocket dipes smell like pee even after I wash them. I soak first in cold, wash hot and add an extra rinse. Maybe I am not using enough soap? These dipes have only been used a couple times. Any ideas?

Also, is there any way to avoid the NASTY ammonia smell coming from my hanging diaper tote? It is waterproof (PUL) and I usually leave it open a bit but the smell is still pretty awful, especially since it has been so hot here lately.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Lindsey

Advertisement

ljane81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Smelly Smelly! Need Help!

I would suggest a touch of bleach for your inserts, that will get rid of the stinkies. Also, using TTO (tea tree oil) when you wash your dipes can get rid of a lot of that bacteria. Wash the diaper tote at the same time to get rid of its smells.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I'm not sure about the hanging diaper pail - never used one.
Are your inserts hemp? If they are then I would try boiling them. Other than that, maybe they needed to be washed a few more times before using - so I would try washing them and stripping them while you're at it. That should help get them ready to be used.
What kind of soap are you using? I just don't want you to use TOO much and then have to strip if it's not necessary, KWIM?
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
ljane81
Registered Users
seller

My inserts aren't hemp, just the regular cotton babies inserts. The diaper tote is PUL, maybe I need a different fabric that breathes more. I am using Tide Free powder for washing.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Tide free might be your problem. I think it has enzymes, unless I'm mistaken. You could try Sun free and clear or Sun classic I believe, if you want something cheap.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Nadmom
Registered Users
seller

There was a long thread at diaperpin.com about using a small amount of bleach once in awhile and how it isn't as evil as everyone thinks. Several people said they had or did use small amounts with no negative effect on their dipes. I tried it with a full load and 2 cap fulls and I didn't have to run as many washes as usual to get good smelling diapers. My diapers seem fine. The velcro tabs of my BG are fraying but all my other velcro is fine and not sure if it was the bleach or if that is just how they are.

I would suggest trying a small amount of bleach. Boiling and many many many washes without detergent didn't help as much and was alot more of a PITA than the bleach for me. I really wish I had learned that trick much sooner and will probably use it about once month from now on. Just my

Oh and something else I learned because of a tip I read here is to put less not more water in the washer, if you have a top loader. This will really agitate the diapers and get more soap out, if that is the issue. I had always thought more water was better, but when the water level was high I would see hardly any suds and but when it is low I see a lot more. This is something else I wish had known sooner.

My suggestions could be totally agains what everyone else says but both work well for me.

Barefoot Books
Nadmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
ljane81
Registered Users
seller

I can't find Sun detergent here in Canada...

I am using a front loading washer if that makes a difference.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had this issue a few weeks ago and didn't mind TOO much at first b/c it was only when he peed in them so I changed him, put the dipe in the hanging bag and no biggy. Then he got a rash! UGH I read everything I could and decided to boil them 3 at a time (and you need either a HUGE pot or several rounds) and then washed them alone in no detergent, a squirt of Dawn and a couple Tbsp of bleach for a large load! Worked like a charm! I will probably do that monthly from now on, I haven't gotten the smell back and its been about 2-3wks! Good luck! I also cut down my detergent (Bi-O-Kleen) and added TTO w/ lavendar in my hanging bag. I just ordered some pail powder off the NE co-op so hopefully that will help too!
Old 07-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Since they are so new, you shouldn't really have to do a ton of work with smell issues already!! That's frustrating.

But, I think your detergent might be a big source of your problem. Get a new CD safe detergent and rewash until all the bubbles are gone. You might want to strip them first.

Good Luck mama!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
ljane81
Registered Users
seller

Can anyone tell me a good cding safe detergent that I can get in Canada??
I can't seem to find anything that people reccommend. Preferably something that doesn't cost a lot more than regular detergent.

I am a little frusterated. I just rewashed them and they still smell. I am really not interested in doing this if it is going to be overly complicated to launder these!! I will try a few more things and see how it goes...

Thanks!