Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:
What I have learned about newborn diapers and big babies...

I wanted to share this, seeing as there seems to always be alot of threads about newborns and what to buy for them.

I really contemplated skipping newborn diapers because my babies at term are big.

They aren't HUGE, ( as in 12-13 lbs ) but they are usually between 9& 10 lbs on average and long and filled out.

My newest baby was 9.13 at birth and 22 inches long.
he is well proportioned though, and has chunky thighs.

I have included some pics and a few of the diapers & things I choose to try and what I found worked and what did not (for me).

my NB stash consisted of KL0's, thirsties & bsww covers, some nb wool (longies) newborn sized premium prefolds w/snappi,
and xs's of the following: very baby & bum genius AIO's

What did NOT work:

xs bum genius ....they were WAY too tight to even think about being on baby. This was the first diaper we tried on him and I could get the waist kind of fastened, but not comfortably and the legs were super tight.

bsww...I have loved these for years, but compared to the softness of thirsties, I was rather turned off, especially with the umbi cord issue ( because the fabric seems to be heavier, I felt like it dug into his cord more than the thirsties did)

Prefolds (newborn sized, orange stitching from GMD)...yeah RIGHT that first week I wasn't even skilled enough ( thanks to lack of sleep) to put a prefold on a newborn, let alone one THAT tiny! I did manage to later get an infant sized one on him with my favorite fold (the reverse angel) and a snappi...but the NB sized ones were a no way for me.

What did work:

KL0's & thirsties...these were by far my favorite, which is odd because I have never cared for kissaluvs!! the umbi cord cutout was PERFECT, and they were actually fairly absorbent.

VB AIO's...while these were not higher on the list than KL0's...they actually oddly fit better than the BG's which shocked me. AND they were low enough to fit under the umbi cord. Not as absorbent as the KL0's, but the conveinience ( oh gosh I can't spell today sorry!) of an AIO was nice.

Wool.....I ended up not using most of the wool I had because baby "Hannah" came out a Cohen and I wasn't putting my son in pink , BUT I had one gn pair of soft recycled cashmere that I LOVED because I could roll them down under the umbi cord and up for his legs as well. This with the KL0's was one of my fav's!

All this said...my son only wore his NB diapers for get this... 6 days

YEP...thats right, not EVEN a week.
In hindsight, I wished I had spent less on my nb stash and simplified. If I knew then what I know now *lol* I would have done the following only:
VB AIO's ( 8 of them)
KL0's (20) and thirsties covers (4) (or compareable fitteds...I never tried the sandy's and wanted too)
and various wool items, because wool is more size versitile than diapers are ( you can roll legs to fit better etc...)

THATS IT.

Cohen started wearing his small stash on day 7 of life, and I have since downsized most of his xs's...but you almost always lose a few bucks in the resale, so that reeeeally stinks!

Anyway, below are 3 pics of him in size small diapers...the small size BG (NOT xs!) was on day 6 of is life (weighing at 9 lbs 6 ounces)

Taken this morning at age 13 days and weighing 10 lbs 5 ounces this very baby AIO is a size small, and fits perfect! ( i need more of these BTW, spam me )

and lastly this is a small size fuzzi bunz from this morning as well, this was a wet one about to be changed, and I do still have to put this on the tightest setting of snaps so they will fit awhile, but my FB's are my work horse diaper, always have been...

I hope this post helps some of you mamas out there who have bigger sized babies

Advertisement

beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What I have learned about newborn diapers and big babies...

thank you! This assures me that I've done the right thing by skipping through the xs and the newborn fluff and gone straight into the smalls. Your LO is adorable by the way.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
sunfish_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't intend to have a newborn anytime soon but I loved the pics of your little ragamuffin. Those smalls are a great fit. He looks like my "little" newborns with the matchng sucky and all.

sunfish_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your little baby is darling! Theresa
pumkinsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
happybutterflymama
Registered Users
seller

Thank you!!! I have 8-9 pounders that grow extremely fast so this was very helpful for me!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
finch
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well dang, that helps. LOL. I bake beefcake babies. No xs anything for me.

Your babe is adorable!!
finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
NAJLMOMMY
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Did you not like prefolds? I'm trying to decide i I want to sew some fitteds or jsut concentrate on covers.
NAJLMOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

he looks great Christine! So alert!
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #9
kristini2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh what a cutie!!! small vb aios are our workhorse diaper with dd3. i love those little things!! though they look a little different on a nearly 4-mos old than on a tiny nb though. awwww!!! the time goes too fast!!
Old 10-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
kate2128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the helpful information and analysis. And the cute pics, of course!

kate2128 is offline   Reply With Quote