Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rod and Staff mamas, in here please!

We are just starting 2nd grade and I'm overwhelmed already LOL Adding all the new subjects and trying to figure out how to do it all...

What is your lesson plan/schedule like with all the subjects?

This is what I'm tentatively going to try:

Every day: Math, English, Reading, Phonics, Penmanship

Mon: Health
Tues/Thurs Spelling
Wed Science
Fri Social Studies.

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
sphil876
Registered Users
seller

Re: Rod and Staff mamas, in here please!

We're in the same potision kind Of> DD is in 2nd grade, but last year we had her in a school. We were going to do a unit study curriculum(sp?) which has everything built around 1 theme, but due to family circumstances, that didn;t worl, so I just went and bought a full pace type of program. We do 4 subject a day and it rotates, then I like to have mon or fri for a free or fun day. so we do bible (everyday), math, science, reading/ land arts, history/ social studies. and everyday we only do 3 of the 4 subjects besides bible. But each day is one subject heavy so we can get through it. We've been doing this for just over 2 weeks and she's through unit 1 in lang arts/ reading and almost through unit 1 in history/ SS.

We only school for about 2-3 hours a day. I do find it best for her if I make a schedule and list her break/ lunch on there it gives her something to work for. If I set the timer for each subject we do even better.

HTH
Melissa
Panda Tushies Snappiable Bamboo Prefolds www.hyenacart.com/thewadingpool
sphil876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's very easy... we don't do them all. For us, Rod & Staff is GREAT. They are strong on math and grammar. So we let them handle the basics. The textbooks make sure that the kids have a VERY thorough understanding of these basics. Math and grammar are pretty necessary.

Then you have the other things: Reading, Spelling, History, Science, Handwriting, et cetera.

I think those things can be covered so much more pleasantly and enjoyably than using textbooks.
Copywork is MUCH more preferable to handwriting... though I don't mind Rod and Staff's version. Personally, I'd rather write letters... so would my kids. Or copy sweet poems or neat quotes. Look up Queen Homeschool copywork on google. They have a REALLY neat little workbook - cheap too.
History - We read aloud and I assign books. Real books are always preferable to textbooks. They remember more and like it more.
Science - Hands on -At this age, collect and identify leaves (it's fall), grow a garden, study prints in the snow, talk about the seasons and change, check out good books from the library, get a subscription to Netflix. They actually have a selection of Creation videos!
Reading - reading interesting books rather than bits and pieces is more likely to make kids that love to read than textbooks.

So, use Rod & Staff, don't make it use you. Too many people burn out because they try to do school at home. We don't need school at home. Home is BETTER than school! Who wants to duplicate inferiority?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
keithmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We sort of have the same schedule you do, but a little different. We don't use all R & S, in fact we only do the grammar and I read the Bible reader to the children in the morning, and after that I read them the Bible passages from the reader. But anyway, everyday we do:
Math: Math U See
Reading: Pathway (readers and workbooks)
Grammar: Rod and Staff
Handwriting: Veritas Press (for 8 yr old) and A Reason For Writing (for 6 yr. old)
Bible: Rod and Staff readers and Bible

Then for everything else (history, geography, art, health, etc.), I have been getting in a few days a week with Five In A Row.

Sometimes I substitute copywork for handwriting or dictation for grammar, but they like doing what I have chosen for them in both subjects, so it's not hard to get them to do it. I also will do a lesson in the R&S grammar book, say ABC order for example, and apply it to the FIAR book that we are going through instead of making him do the lesson in the textbook.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your input, mamas! I am a textbook kinda gal. I like having the lesson laid out for me, no brainer! I need that.

Things have been going well so far (this is only our 3rd day LOL). I was just a bit freaked about adding so much extra work, but we are actually spending the same amount of time on school!