Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2006, 02:49 AM   #1
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What shoud I do/think? Gender Question

Ok, here is the deal. I posted on the old board when I was 11 weeks along that I had sent off to have the DNA gender test done. I know there was a lot of controversy about the accuracy but absolutely everyone I know in Message Board land and IRL it was right for. And, they offer a 200% money back refund so there wasn't really a question of risk for me. Plus I felt like I needed to know. I felt like if baby is a girl then there are a bunch of pink and ruffley butt things that need to be purchased. Well, that's what the test said that baby is a GIRL.

Well, fast forward to the 3rd of July to my anatomy scan at 22 weeks (I was not in a hurry already knew what I wanted to know) and there it was...a penis! I tried to post a pic of it, but apparently my file size it to big (how do I fix this??).

I know people go without finding out all the time, and sometimes ultrasounds are wrong (according to some sites they are only 80% accurate) But this was at 22 weeks and even I could tell there was a penis and testes. I couldn't even tell with DS1 that I was looking at baby on the screen!! Plus everyone I know who has had this particular US tec has had what she said they are going to have (Right HeidiLiz??) WHAT DO I DO??

My hubby is so certain, we've returned all of the girl stuff that I had bought and bought what very little boy stuff we'll need. I'm farily certain as well because I really saw it, but now am starting to wonder why on earth the test would've said that I was having a girl. What will I do if a girl comes out at this point?? Thing is I wanted a boy, so this has been a relief but now I don't want to possibly be dissapointed if baby is a girl...

What would you do/think??

Thanks,
Deidre

Advertisement

Last edited by deejahd; 07-25-2006 at 06:06 AM.
deejahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:39 AM   #2
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Re: What shoud I do/think? Gender Question

Think you got another one hiding in the back? lol

Seriously, I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes labs get samples mixed up, sometimes they are just wrong. if you can clearly see it's a boy, then I'd be a bit sceptical of the girl results. Another though, i don't know how big a penis looks on an ultrsound, but do you think that it could just be swollen female genitalis? I do know that some little girls can be really swollen before and right after birth, almost to the point thta it looks like they have a penis....Maybe go with gn stuff??
Old 07-25-2006, 05:12 AM   #3
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I have heard of that test being wrong so many times. Actually they (if it is the same company) were even questioned about not giving refunds by saying that their must have been twins and one died. I truely think that is just too early to tell. My ds was "supposed" to be a girl but I was later told that early in pregnancy all babies are girls and unless you are getting an amnio or CVS that there is no way to know 100% the sex before 15 (or 16) weeks (at the earliest). I would trust the ultrasound as a visual penis will not lie if it is done by a well trained tech. If you seen it as well than even more reason to belive it. I mean if she said boy and you didn't see what she saw than maybe I'd question it but you both seem pretty darn sure. Oh and whatever you have you will not be disappointed, you'll just learn to adapt and go girlie. I wouldn't change my ds for anything in the world (he did look silly sleeping in a canopy crib though).
Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow! Talk about being confused... That would drive me WILD ! I've had an U/S that says I'm having a girl but I am still having a hard time acually believing it(and buying girl stuff). If I were you...I'd have another U/S done. You can go get one of those 4d ones...it'll be so cool and you'll probebly get another shot at seeing "the goods". Once I've seen it a couple times I start to believe it...

FWIW~ My friend just had a girl and was told her entire pregnancy that she was having a boy....Hmmmm

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know, I keep holding off on getting crib stuff. DS distroyed his bumper so we'll need a whole new set probably...if it's a boy I want airplanes (to go with ds's room)...if it's a girl I really want to go all out girly and get flowery pink stuff.

You think insurance would cover a just for fun u/s?? I have been tempted to ask...
Old 07-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would get a refund when my baby is born. I would be very upset that I spent that much money and it was wrong. I was gonna do this with my next one but not after reading this.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the test is wrong we will definately be getting our money back! DH already made me hunt all the paper work up and start a file so that he can get the refund ASAP.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
rds989
Registered Users
seller

Is this the blood test that was on tv a while ago, cuz some women said they'd been victims of fraud? I think you were supposed to prick your finger and send the blood sample in for determination of the sex. If so, I seem to remember that the science behind the test was sketchy at best, and had never been presented to any other scientists for peer review so no one really knows what the theory was behind the test.

At any rate, if that is the test you did, I'd go with the ultrasound.

Sorry that you guys have been thrown for a loop with this one!

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote