Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
mamoomom
Registered Users

Question New to CD's

I am in the search of the best way to transition my two children (daughter 2 1/2 years old and son 5 months) from disposies to CD's. I am overwhelmed and confused by all the CD options, accessories, and costs. I presently spend approx. $600/year on disposies for both kids. My daughter has large urines and soft stools. I would need a diaper style that suites this. My son is exclusively breastfeeding so he has the typical urines and stools of a breastfed infant. I would like to streamline my choice for both kids with the most affordable options and minimal accessories needed. My main concern is proper fit, no leakage, environmentally friendly, and low cost. Please advise and offer any further suggestions on cleaning CD's, alternatives to conventional disposable wipes for my kids bottoms, etc. Thanks!

Advertisement

mamoomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New to CD's

You would probably get more replys if you posted in the diapering forum. As for diapers it depends on what you are intrested in. Prefolds, fitted and covers, AIOs and so on. Is your daughter close to potty training you may want trainers instead of diapers.
peverroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
mamoomom
Registered Users

Thank you for your reply. I am new to this site as well as to forums. My daughter is toying with the idea of PT but she isn't wanting to do anything in the potty as of yet. It may be another year before she is truely ready and I am not rushing her. As for all the CD options, I am not sure what I am interested in. I want the most convenient, mess free, cost-effective option. I am still researching online info on various diaper options to educate myself but felt a forum might give me that info with added expert mommy advice on those options at the same time. I will try to figure out how to post on the diapering forum. Thanks
mamoomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i know about the potty training my DS will be 3 in october and has no intrest in potting. Everyone is allways you need to start potty training but that is a nother post all together.

as for diapers
cheapest by far is prefolds i'll 12 for $20
fitted are easier to use but a little costly 5-10 and up a piece both prefold and fitted with need a cover
AIO are the easiest to use and most conv. They are just like a sposie but reuseable. they also cost the most. 15 and up
Covers can be anything from pull ups to covers made from vinal to PUL to wool
there are alot options out there.
I would sugguest you watch the FFS forum and get what you can from there to try out.
If you can sew you will save alot of money and can make your own one one board they once said with all new material they could make an AIO for around 5 dollars each.
peverroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cheapest way to go is prefolds and covers.

You might even be able to get by with premium prefolds for both of them, depending on the size of your daughter. If you need additional absorbancy, you can just use 2 diapers, like for night time.

For covers, dappi pull on nylon pants, proraps, and bummis super whisper wraps are some favorites around here. The dappi pants are especially cheap.

And if you sew, you could make wool soakers out of old sweaters that are really good covers. There are several free patterns out there. Of course, there are several good WAHM's that make them as well pretty reasonalbly priced.

I think probably the cheapest place around to get all that you need is www.littlelions.com if you want to go ahead and get new instead of stalking the FSOT forums here.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
SAHMLamar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Easiest I think is a pocket. I have found bumgenius to be most like sposie in form and function and am using them well on both ebf 3 mo dd and 26 mo dd. cottonbabies.com says you can wash and wear one. if you don't like it, they'll return your money...
HTH.
SAHMLamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
mihrimah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For the cost effectiveness, PFs tri-folded in a cover will get you the farthest. We've had DD in tri-folded infant saize PFs since she was born and they should last until she's PT. I only have to buy more covers this way.
ArtistryYarns on Indie Dyers Cooperative: A glorious yarn and fiber shop!
mihrimah is offline   Reply With Quote