Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any working/pumping mamas here?

I'm starting work in about5 weeks and will be pumping. So, I was wondering how many of us are there? How many hrs. a week do you work? How many times a day do you pump? How did your babe transition? I'll be working 40+ hrs./wk and hopefully beable to pump five times a day. Once on the way to/from work (my dh and I work together so he can drive) once on morning break, once on lunch and once at afternoon break. That way I know I'll be pumping plenty and probably stock pile too, lol. As it is I pump once a day to build a stock pile and I get between 2-3 oz. combined breasts.

So, let's here your story!

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
whiterabbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any working/pumping mamas here?

I go back to work at the end of August. I work 40 hours a week. Last time with dd2, I pumped 2x a day and that was enough. More than enough. Baby was fine.

This time around I'm doing the same thing. I've already started a little stockpile in the freezer.
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
SewWhatMama
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I work 40 hours a week and my ds is 10 months old now. When I went back originally I pumped fed him immediately before I left and pumped twice at work and fed him as soon as I got back home. My work place is very supportive of working mothers, as we have 3 lactation rooms and they even provide and industrial pump for us to use. We just have to supply our own kit, but they even reimburse us for the cost of that. Anyway...way to much info I guess. Now that he is 10 months I have only been pumping once a day and am able to bring home 2 bottles for him, for the next day.

Good luck mama, it is tough at first, but hang in there and once you get in a routine it works out really well. :-)
SewWhatMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Carrie
Registered Users

2-3 oz. combined is not bad at all if you've started pumping recently. Depending on when your afternoon break is, you may want to wait to feed DS when you pick him up--even if you have to feed him at daycare or in the car. The more you put him to the breast the better your supply will be, so nurse frequently evenings and weekends. I admire you. I was a "bad pumper" and don't think I could have done it.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish I had a 40 hour work week. I go back in 6 weeks to 24 hour shifts. Last time it was no big deal to pump as I only worked 10-12 hour shifts. Now I am a little leary on how I am going to handle an entire day and night of pumping. I really want to make my goal of 6 months of breastfeeding, so I need to make sure I can do it. Has anyone worked 24 hour shifts or maybe was on vacation without baby in tow? How often should I pump? Every 2 hours or maybe more?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just recently stopped pumping. My DS is 10 1/2 months old and I work 20 hours a week. My job had no where for me to pump, though, so I was staying up till midnight or later to pump and he was not fond of EBM so we were throwing a lot of it away. With my DD, I was working 40+ hours a week. When I went back to work when she was 6 weeks old, I was pumping 2-3 times a week and nursing her right before I left for work and right when I got home. I only ever needed to pump every 3-5 hours, though.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
rxmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DD#1 I worked 40 hours/week and pumped 2-3 times each day (8 hour days). She ate in the morning and almost immediately when we got home (that was the hardest feeding to drop when weaning!! nighttime was easier! lol). I always pumped much more than she ate and it worked fabulously. I stopped pumping when she was about 6 months old (sick of it) and my body adjusted really well to feeding her in the night/am and I continued to nurse her for a few months.

With DD#2 I work 20 hrs/week, 10 hr shifts. I try to pump twice but that rarely works as we're a busy pharmacy and I'm usually the only pharmacist. People hate waiting for their drugs. My supply has keep up well so far though. This dd is not too fond of the bottle, either. She'll adjust soon though. As I only work 2 days/week she still gets plenty of boob time and is growing fine!
Annie, pharmacist mommy to Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel baby #3 10/08, Sophia 1/10 and Isaac 6/12
rxmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Moi

I'm pumping as I type.

I pump 4-5 times a day. I pump on the way to work (50% of the time) at 10:30, 2:30, 5p (on my way home) and bf dd as soon as we get home 6p.

She nurses at 5am, 6am 7am, 6pm, 7pm, 9pm midnight and sometimes nce more during the night.

during the day, I get 5-6 oz. the others 2-4 depending on how recently we nursed. I work 4 days a week so between 32-37h a week. DD drinks 12oz of milk while I'm gone so I'm just filling up the freezers and have signed up to b e a milk donor as I'm running out of room. Just have to get my bloodwork done.
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pump twice a day now... DS is 11 months old and can pretty much wait for me...

I used to pump 3-4 times a day when I first went back to work. It is tough but definitely worth it!! Hang in there!!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
Elphaba71
Registered Users
seller

Since I went back to work full time (2 months ago), I've been working 50-60 hour weeks, usually 10-12 hour days and a few hours on the weekend. My son is almost 6 months now and we're going strong on exclusive breastmilk. I nurse my son either before we leave the house or when we get to daycare, depending on when he wakes up in my morning routine and when he gets hungry - then I pump on my way to work or at work (look into an Easy Expressions handsfree bustier - they are worth twice the price) before I start seeing patients (I'm a doc), while working on paperwork. I pump at lunch and then at the end of the day if I know I'm going to be there an hour or two doing more paperwork. Of note, I usually pump for 30-45 minutes at a time and get 2 or 3 letdowns, the best ones usually coming near to the end and I shoot for pumping to "empty". I usually get between 6 - 10 ounces each time. During the week, there are occasionally days where I only nurse him twice a day, and rarely more than four. On the weekends he usually eats about every two hours while he's awake.

It's not ideal, but it's working and he's getting the best nutrition I can give him. Good luck!

Mom to Griffin - 2/5/06, and Rhiannon 12/23/07
Elphaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote