Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2006, 03:07 AM   #11
movaly1
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any working/pumping mamas here?

I work 40 hours/week, 8 hour days. I usually pump 1-2X a day at work (4-5X a day total) b/c I nurse her several times in the morning before I leave, pump before I leave so I can leave a fresh bottle at home. I meet her for lunch and feed her then. And then maybe pump once in the afternoon at work. I also pump at home after some feedings to empty out and store up milk at home. Some days I don't even pump at all at work. I have a little bit of a stash in the freezer as well.

My body has adjusted and so I haven't had any leaking problems during the work day.

Advertisement

movaly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #12
Kellyd
Registered Users

I worked full time with all 3 of mine and pumped with all of them. The first one was a little more challenging as I worked as a staff nurse and my breaks were at the whim of the charge nurse. With him I had to pump while I ate my breakfast or lunch- so it was kind of high pressure and always made me feel like I had to hurry up. With the next 2 I was the manager and had my own office- so I could basically pump whenever I needed to. With the 2 girls I nursed them before I left for work, then usually pumped twice a day- I usually worked an 8 to 9 hour day, then I'd nurse them again as soon as I picked them up. The best thing I found with the girls was a "hands free" bra designed to be worn while you pumped. I got them from JC Penney- and they were designed to hold the pump while you are pumping, so you can literally have your hands free to do other things. It made it so much easier because I could still work or eat while I was pumping- and it made it a much better experience. I nursed the last 2 until they were 18 months old, and I kept pumping with #3 until she was about 15 months old.
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #13
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

I work 40 hrs/week and am still BFing DD (11 months). I nurse right before we leave for DCP (6:30-7) and pump at 9, 12 & 3, then nurse as soon as we get home (6pm) and throughout the night. I don't have the greatest supply and only get about 3 oz/pumping and DD takes 3 5oz bottles of ebm/day @ DCP. I am lucky though in that my sister is also BFing her DD who is 7 weeks younger than mine and she has an overabundant supply and pumps in the morning and freezes it for me to use to top off DD's bottles so I don't have to use formula or water. I know some people think its really weird, but she is my sister, I know she is in good health and eats well, doesn't use alcohol, caffine, nicotine or drugs and she also donates to the local milk bank (she pumps an extra 10-15 oz/day on top of what her DD eats) so I know her milk is a good quality.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #14
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just quit pumping for my DD in May when she was a year old. I pumped 2x a day while I was at work, once around 10:30 and again around 2:30. I nursed DD before I left in the morning, and first thing when we get home in the evening. I got anywhere from 3-6 oz each time combined.

Now, I still nurse her, I'm just done with pumping after 10 months!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:46 AM   #15
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

I went back to work when DS was 2 months old full time (40 hrs, M-F 8-5) but luckily he is in the daycare at the college I work for. I get to go to the daycare on my lunch hour and nurse him which is so nice for me! He nurses before we leave in the morning (6:30ish) I pump at around 10, nurse him at around 1, pump around 4, nurse around 7 then he goes to sleep. I generally stay up till about 11 or so watching TV or sewing and I'll pump again before I go to bed. On the weekends he nurses every 2-3 hours and that ramps my supply back up.

I usually get 4 oz per time I pump and he needs 6 oz in each of the 2 bottles I send to daycare with him, so 3 pumpings a day works out fine for us. If I'm having an off day where I only get 2-3 oz per pump, I'll make sure to set my alarm to wake up at about 2am to pump again.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #16
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My supply wasn't very abundant. I'm a teacher and the first semester I went back after my DD was born (she was 4 months) I pumped in my office. I don't quite remember the times because it was whatever fit between classes, but it was at least twice a day. I only got 2-3 oz per pump and DD took 8 oz per bottle! Needless to say I was always playing catch up and after we exhausted the freezer supply, I had to supplement. The best thing was when I got the car adapter for my pump and was able to pump in the car both coming and going to work. That helped a little bit. I'm hoping to build a larger freezer stash before going back to work for #2, whenever he/she comes along.

You just have to find a pattern that works for you and your babe. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #17
mmskids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is my 5th baby that I am working full time and pumping for. All of the others made it to 1+ years so I am assuming this one will too.

My schedule is weird in that I managed to work only 4 days but average about 50 hours. I pump/nurse right as I'm leaving for work. Then I pump about every 4 hours while I'm gone. When I get home I either pump or he nurses. DS is now almost 4 months old and I'm currently averaging 20+ ounces a day.
mmskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #18
bundeleh
Registered Users
seller

I work 3 days a week and pump 2-3 times a day on those days. I get 4-6 oz a day. That totally covers what I need for the 3 days DD is in daycare, plus a little freezer reserve just in case.

Pumping 5 x a day sounds like a lot!

I'm lucky that my job is a lot of editing, etc., so I can pump and work at the same time. And I have my own office with a DOOR. I changed jobs during my pregnancy partly to have my own office with a door for pumping!

Meanwhile I bought an electric Medela and have only used it like 3x. I use the manual Medela pump -- it's nice and quiet.
bundeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I worked 40 plus hours, (I stopped working when DS was 6 months) I would pump EVERY 3 hours 3, 6, 9, 12, 3, 6, 9, 12 3, 6, 9, 12... I made it to 6 months and stopped because it was either I stop working or I stop BFing. I had a terrible time pumping. Not that I wasn't producing enough milk (I WAS) but I couldn't hardly get 5 ounces at a time while at work when he was 6 months. It was crazy!

I have one suggestion! Please STOCK pile a supply for your baby and start NOW! That way, you won't have to suppliment. Yucky formula!
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #20
zoeysmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi there....my dd is 10 mo here in Aug and I have managed to keep up with pump and BF. I pump 3x at work and 1 overnite during workdays m-f. We both find it very rewarding and want very much to continue for sometime.

However, my medela dbl elec pump is on its last leg and I am in need of another one, so if you know of anyone who want to freecycle for a good cause or sell reasonably cheap, plmk (i am pm several ppl here too)

Lets keep up the awesome work ladies )
zoeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote