Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2006, 07:12 AM   #11
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

Re: Help with possible Autism........

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixb
Yes that must be it! I had PPD but then thought to my self no thats a diaper term!!! hehehehe thought I was getting it all mixed up!!

She is going through a really rough time. SHe keeps blaming herself for not finding it sooner, not researching her immunizations more, not giving her the right diet ect. I am sure you have been there. She is really beating herself up, I hope this phase doesnt last long We tell her there is nothing she could have changed and she really is a great mom, but she will have to work through it herself. She definaly sounded a little happier today than she has in awhile.

I would love to hear some other feedback from some mamas too
I'm not sure how long that phase will last. I'm still in that phase and DS was diagnosed with his SID back in January. I can't stop blaming myself! I'm a WOHM and I just know that this is why he is going through all of this...he needs more of me in front of him and I can't do it because I HAVE to work! I see a positive change in him on the weeks I'm home with him on vacation which just makes me feel even more guilty about working! I don't know if that guilt will ever go away...it's probably a normal thing to feel.

Advertisement

Last edited by Willys Woolies; 07-31-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:17 AM   #12
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Of all my daycare kids with Autism, the one that did the best was the one who was diagnosed by age two and in a special pre-school by age three. I saw an amazing improvement in his development!!

He was also a savant. He could memorize several calenders. If you told him your birthday, he would tell you the day it would fall on this year, and next year. (He was four!!!) He memorized a map of the city of Phoenix, and by age six, he could tell you how many miles you are away from whatever location he was thinking about. It was great! He was like a Big giant GPS system....But, he never, EVER EVER stopped talking. EVER. (insert rainman's voice) "You are three quarters of a mile from Northwest community church. Turn left at Bell Road, now you are one quarter mile from Jack in the Box."

Also... My neighbor's son wan diagnosed with autism when he was four. He is a year older than my daughter. He was slow to develop, and even slower to talk. He became increasingly violent, and began to use repetitive behavior when he was almost two years old. He would line cars up for hours, but blow a gasket if someone touched one. He would watch lights flicker on water for hours, but lose control if he was interrupted. He was deteriorating quickly. Soon he was wild all the time. They had locks on everything in the house, and he was getting worse. The doctors said it was severe autism.

But, I never thought that was it exactly. There was somthing else wrong.

They chose to keep him home with them. Mom quit her job, and started reading books. She learned that the ONLY food he would eat was the worst thing for a child with his issues. Basically, he would only eat crackers and chocolate milk. She she set out to completely change hs diet. I don't know what she did. But she started with food. Then added suppliments. She cut out all wheat and gluten. (or something like that) She home schooled him.

He is now 14 years old. VERY small for his age. He looks like an 11 year old. BUT, he goes to public school, he has some learning issues, he needs some help with his work, he is not popular, BUT he shows no signs of autism, at all. When we were still neighbors, he could play outside witht he kids and by age ten, he NEVER had a single meltdown. His repetitive behaviors are all gone now. He does get along better with animals than kids, but he is doing amazingly well considering where he came from. Mom swears this is all from the diet change alone. He cannot have any sugar. He knows this, and is very careful not to eat the foods that might cause a relapse. I don't know if his diet is the reason he is so small or not, but I guess this is the lesser of the two evils.

Sorry I got so long winded.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:23 AM   #13
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

I've heard about the diet stuff too...glueten free, etc. Prob for us is DS's diet is SOOOO limited right now I'm just happy if he eats something, anything really!

My DS is not showing signs of repetitive behaviours...and he LOVES animals also. If there is an animal around he has to be with it.....interesting.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #14
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys Woolies
I've heard about the diet stuff too...glueten free, etc. Prob for us is DS's diet is SOOOO limited right now I'm just happy if he eats something, anything really!

My DS is not showing signs of repetitive behaviours...and he LOVES animals also. If there is an animal around he has to be with it.....interesting.
I really don't know how she changed his diet, as this was his biggest problem. He litterally only ate the two things. I guess she starved him until he finally ate the food she was offering. LOL

One weekend, he built a cool Cricket experiment. He cut up big pvc pipes, and made clear ends for them. He arranged them in a wagon wheel shape. He put different foods in the end of each pipe and then gathered up some crickets to see what food they preferred. He took notes and everything. It was quite impressive! He found some baby quail in the feild, and raised them til they were adults. He's a special young man.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
quixb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YEs I know diet can be a huge thing! My SIL has got her on a special diet now. SHe went and got her all gluten and sacren (sp??) free foods - she got 5 bags of groceries and it cost her $200!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus they have her on some special vitamins @ $10 a day.....They are seeing a holistic dr this week too I think. I am just glad they are in the position to be able to provide these things for her.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:46 PM   #16
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

Wow! I hope it works! I've heard a lot of positive stuff about that diet!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #17
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard good things about the diet myself. It's so odd for me to hear of a girl being Autisic. I know it's more common for boys.. but I believe this is the first time I've heard of this and it not being a boy.. Weird.

I hope the diet helps!
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:20 PM   #18
i0lanthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck! I know on the autism list I lurk on, some mamas have tried GFCF diet for a year and seen nothing, and others have great results on it (sometimes they don't notice until the kid eats something off of it, dramatic difference)... I guess it comes down to, what is the underlying cause of the symptoms (no way to tell without trying stuff.)
Old 07-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #19
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0lanthe
Good luck! I know on the autism list I lurk on, some mamas have tried GFCF diet for a year and seen nothing, and others have great results on it (sometimes they don't notice until the kid eats something off of it, dramatic difference)... I guess it comes down to, what is the underlying cause of the symptoms (no way to tell without trying stuff.)
It took YEARS (about eight) before you could honestly say Eric was "normal", and Happy. It wasn't an overnight success. I also have to wonder how much of his problem was autism, and how much was allergy or intolerance to food.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:12 PM   #20
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

We're going to start GFCF over here (gluten free/casein free). I know what you all mean about children's limited diets. I'm half afraid Colin will starve but I figure he'll eventually eat one way or another. But there are a lot of inexpensive foods out there that are gluten and casein free that don't cost much at all. Fruits and vegetables, for instance; meats and poultry (it's only when you start adding stuff to/on them** that they contain gluten and sometimes casein); even Fleishman's margarine and In and Out french fries (LOL!!! Our ABLE center supervisor told me about this one today).

I think the expensive items are the "fax bread" ones. Brownies, mixes, stuff like that.

Back on topic, I think it's wonderful and very sensitive of you to want to be supportive and to feel this out before saying anything. You're a good sister.

**ETA: Whoops: Except for some chickens and turkeys that are pre-basted. You always need to check labels and the "may contain" stuff. Sorry about that.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote