Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2006, 06:37 PM   #21
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

Re: Help with possible Autism........

Maybe one day we will be able to try GFCF diet. But, right now DS's diet is limited to applesauce, yobaby yogurt with baby cereal mixed in and macaroni and cheese. Occasionally he will eat those pre-made cups of small fruit chunks and bread. That's it...no way we can do that diet yet! He hasn't eaten much at all since last Thursday. He has a visit with the nutritionist tomorrow at lunch time at school. I'm going to let her know.

Good luck to those who are going to try it...hope it helps!

Advertisement

Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #22
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

I feel like an idiot. I meant faux bread, not fax bread. Sometimes my keys stick.

To the mama above: We're finding even more foods we can eat that are casein and gluten free (not hijacking thread--just giving info & our experiences). Like Cracker Jacks, fruit leather/fruit rollups, french fries, potato chips, corned beef hash (Colin LOVES this), Dum Dum lolipops, even soda in many cases (though we don't drink soda), Skittles...the list goes on, and allows for a LOT of "junk". (Again, not that you'd want to ply your child with junk, but just pointing out that the term "restrictive" is all relative. )

I too thought "no way" at first b/c Colin ONLY ate milk products and white flour. Cheese, crackers, cereal, pasta (esp. mac & cheese), cereal bars, chicken nuggets (breaded). Plus corn...that's his one veggie. I mean that was his whole diet. I'm not trying to talk anyone into the diet, but if you're considering it, check out this list of approved foods: http://p201.ezboard.com/ftime2unwind...picID=12.topic

I'm doing the diet with Colin. Actually, I'm more restricted than he is! I went gluten/casein free cold turkey. I'm giving him just casein free (which means he can still have wheat but no milk, whey, casein..and THAT list includes Pop Tarts...seriously, there are so many "fun" foods). Then we'll go to gluten free probably in about a week or so.

Colin has only said five words for the past 12 months...but today he said a new one..."pop" (for lolipop--b/c I was as usual trying to ignore the lolipops on the doctor's receptionist's counter). I think he was desperate b/c he's been having a lot less junk than usual these past couple of days, and more meats, corn; less sugar (that's my own thing--it's not necessary for GFCF). Anyway...he said it twice, very clearly. I can't believe it. So anyway...who knows...if anyone does want to try it, it sure can't hurt to not be eating gluten, an unnatural food for our bodies, and casein, which no other mammal besides ourselves ingests after weaning. PM me if anybody is curious about this.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #23
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Oh, and to the OP: You are so right about your sis not wanting to have to feel her child is "different" in every single conversation. You sound wonderfully sensitive to how other people are feeling. Not everyone would think of that. As a parent of a child with PDD (pervasive developmental disorder), I can vouch for the fact that you are making the right call there.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote