Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Moms with no prenatal care...

I had a very interesting, very sad visit tonight. My friend has a cousin who is what looks to be 37-38 weeks pregnant. She has had no prenatal care, apparently was on the bc patch for the first 2-3 months of pregnancy, and was in denial about being pregnant until recently. Well, she called my friend tonight and was like, didn't Jen do some midwifery training or something (I did a two year midwifery program for DEM's...haven't done a full apprenticeship yet) So she asked if I could go over there and check things out, and of course I feel so bad for this poor baby, off I went, 6 kids in tow (not all mine). Well, I felt the baby for a long time, she feels good, is head down, mama is measuring about 38 and still up high but baby is getting in a good position. Bp is good, all heart sounds are good, mama has no swelling and seems pretty good overall. She doesn't drink or do drugs or smoke. She's a pretty big girl, so I assume she eats but didn't have much to say about it.

Apparently she is planning on going to the local hospital when she goes into labor, and has an emergency appointment with an OB there on Wednesday. I was relaly happy to observe that she and baby both seemed to be doing well, but I was just so ripped that she has had NO care (like none, self-care is fine if you are educated and go that route, she had done NOTHING!).

I'm SO happy that both of them seem to be well and that there is nothing apparently wrong. I am just so saddened that this is the SECOND time she has had a baby, and that her ignorance could potentially hurt her baby or herself
I told her, of course, that she could call on me if she needed anything or had concerns before her appointment, but I am jsut so saddened that a new little life could be so easily overlooked and uncared for.

Just a little vent......and hugs to those belly babies, mamas!

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms with no prenatal care...

i don't understand this....why doesn't she get care before now? how infuriating!

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am glad she is well, but this is a HUGE vent to me...

I do everything right.. BY THE BOOK!!! prrnatal care from theget go, and I eat right, sleep right, and excersize within reason. Well... It really irritates me when moms who frankly seem to care less have good healhty babies. I know this sounds bad, but I work my butt off and take care of my self like mad, when i am preggy, and i have had 1 babies die!! 3 in the 18-20 weeks zone.

I have a freind who went trhu Brocks death with me, and yet she STILL got no prenatal care. and while i amthrilled all is well with her baby, I just dont get it

Why not seek help.. I know wht it is like ot be in denial. I was for sure when i got a pos preggy test with a 4 month old at home. and i was in denial for MONTHS. I think i was like 28 weeks when i finally got it. BUT i went to every doc appt, and they were every 2 weeks, becaseu things were not well.

UGH!!! I just dont get why so manyppl dont realize what a blessing a baby is. So many momshave probems concieving or carrying to term, and yetthose that have no problems often act like it is a big inconvenince tobe pregnant and do nothing tocarefor the baby in thier womb..

OK Off soap box LOL
Old 07-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

I like your soap box! I had to do some deep breathing beofre I went in there, because I was pleased she at least wanted me to check thigns out, but at the same time just felt like giving her a huge lecture! I did give her a little one, with lots of sugar-coating and loving car advice in it, hoping that she would absorb the sweet approach, but it was really hard. Maybe I'm more emotional than usual, since we've been trying without success for a long time now to have another one, but I was just so irritated!!

We did have a long talk about the health benefits about breastfeeding, and I strongly encouraged her to do so for at least a little while, whihc she was veyr receptive to. She bf her first for about 2 weeks, and had a lot of latch problems and no help, so she got frustrated and quit. This time I told her that I thought aiming for 6 months would be a good idea, even is she pumped and bottlefed, and she thought that sounded like a good goal. So some god came out of it...

Also, she was just kinda ignorant about things..didn't know anything at all about what was going on, and I just don't understand that, especially with a second pregnancy. I guess I just have trouble dealing with ignorance over soemthing as important as a new life growing inside you!

BTW Melissa, how are you feeling? Have you talked to your midwife anymore?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WELL, maybe she will breastfeed. since she has had No prenatal care, that will give her baby a bit of a boost..

As for me. I am OK. very ill this afternoon. like yesterday afternoon.I am going ot try to sew a few things, and then go to bed.I talked to my midwife today, and she sent me a letter to prove to DES that i am pregnant, so i can get health insurance, so i can see the high risk docs next month... She told me again. IF all is going well, I can return to her care at 20 weeks, but she wants my records to see what has been going on. That is no biggie. i am hopeingfor an US pretty quick, so i can makesure there is only one baby. I have lost 2 sets of twins. ( well one set of twins and one set of triplets) So i need to makesure there is only one...

other than that i am good, and countling my blessing, every time i feel like puking LOL
Old 07-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Melissa:
So sorry to hear about having miscarriages, but what struck me was the time frame....18-20 weeks.
I have a thyroid problem, and take meds for it. I was told repeatedly that pregnancy causes the levels to fluctuate and that i would need to get FREQUENT levels taken in pregnancy, to make sure they were staying where they need to be. The reason was that thyroid probalems are apparently a major cause of SECOND trimester miscarriages, which I'm sure you know are much less common than early miscarriages. Perhaps you already know why you lost your babies, but if you don't, I was just wondering if this was something to check during your current pregnancy. From what i have heard, thyroid testing is set to become the next "standard" testing in pregnancy...because they are finding out how really bad it can be. Hugs to you! Best wishes with your new pregnancy!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally don't understand the no medical care route that some mama's choose. It's definitly not for me. I won't knock it because I think that while I strongly disagree with it, at least the mama's on here that I have heard of doing it seem to have some sort of knowledge about it and take care to plan things accordiling. So kudos to them. However, I just feel bad for the ones with that don't know/don't care attitude. I'm lucky to have never experienced loss...and I dont' think it's something to gamble with. I would never put that chance on my little ones.

My little brother was a case where nothing "looked" wrong but there was something wrong that only medical care was able to detect. Without that care my mom would have most definitly lost him.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Slightly OT - but have you been tested for blood clotting disorders like MTHF?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
Melissa:
So sorry to hear about having miscarriages, but what struck me was the time frame....18-20 weeks.
I have a thyroid problem, and take meds for it. I was told repeatedly that pregnancy causes the levels to fluctuate and that i would need to get FREQUENT levels taken in pregnancy, to make sure they were staying where they need to be. The reason was that thyroid probalems are apparently a major cause of SECOND trimester miscarriages, which I'm sure you know are much less common than early miscarriages. Perhaps you already know why you lost your babies, but if you don't, I was just wondering if this was something to check during your current pregnancy. From what i have heard, thyroid testing is set to become the next "standard" testing in pregnancy...because they are finding out how really bad it can be. Hugs to you! Best wishes with your new pregnancy!
OK Iu admit i never take care of myslefwhen im not preggy. I havent gone to a doc in years.
I have bleived i have a thyroid issue for about 2 years now. I did have bloodwork once,and my number was the absolute lowest number on the normal range. SO my stupid doc saidall is well.Nevermind the factI have every symptom under the sun for low thyroid. I go to the doc next month for my first prenatal, and i am going to askabout it...
Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 10:39 PM   #10
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquelita
Slightly OT - but have you been tested for blood clotting disorders like MTHF?
I have not been tested. BUt my MW says she feels i should go on heparin wiht this baby. We didnt do an autopsy on Brock so we have NO idea why he died. I guess she is realy suspecting blot clotting issues. I uess the high risk docs will test for that too...