Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #11
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms with no prenatal care...

I don't understand those who get "no" medical care... it just seems SO irresponsible to me.

I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic during my first pregnancy. I was "young and healthy" as I see so many people claim as their justification for NOT seeking any medical care... and you know what, I had NO symptoms of diabetes when I was diagnosed - it was a shock to ALL involved. My midwife sent me to a perinatologist for some other issues who ran a metabolic panel among all the other bloodwork they ran, and it showed I had a random blood sugar level of over 500. I had been having regular prenatal appointments and never spilled sugar in my urine, my initial bloodwork was fine, and there were never any other indications that something was wrong with me.. so it was a shock to my midwife, my perinatologist, and myself, and I was already being monitored closely... I don't even want to think about how sick I would have gotten if I hadn't, or what might have happened to DS.

Advertisement

EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:16 AM   #12
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my twins when I was 16 and I made SURE I went to the dr ASAP! I wasn't ignorant at all when it came to the responsibility before me. I had to go into home schooling when I was on bedrest, I had to take meds daily, was hospitalized and ended up carrying to 34w3d. Had I not been going to the dr, not been monitored and talking with a high risk nurse every night about kick counts and contractions, I would have never known about my premature dialation and been put on bedrest. I went into labor at 29wks and went all the way to 4.5cm dialated, they wouldn't even let me walk around b/c the babies could literally slip out quickly with enough pressure on my cervix! I did everything I could to do the best for my babies including not taking IV pain meds when in preterm labor. I knew that being 11wks early would bring breathing problems and that IV meds only made that worse. I am shocked that someone on their 2nd baby who would qualify for FREE care and assistance choses to not care for their unborn baby. Its sad, at least she has someone like you to help her out and make sure the baby is ok! You're awesome!! KUP!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:30 AM   #13
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe im the odd one out but...i see no problem with going unassisted as long as you know what you are doing. Like look everything up before hand get armed with as much info as possible. Next time Im doing unassited but will pry go to the dr for a few times. But it dont sound like she really knew what she was doing n that i have a problem with.....
Old 07-25-2006, 04:28 AM   #14
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Lindsay, she's NOT going unassisted, she's just being negligent. I don't have a problem with uc either..in fact, #4 will be UC unless I detect soemthing wrong during the course of my pregnancy. I conside UC (PLANNED uc) to be a mom who is control of her own body, does her own prenatal care, keeps herself healthy, monitors herself, etc. Even with my last two pregnnacies, I had a midwife, but I refused ultrasounds, I refused doppler heart rate checks and went by only the fetascope, and basiclaly had a midwife who I dropped in to see occasionally just to have a good rapor with. But this mom isn't doing that, she has just ignored her pregnancy, lied baout being pregnant to people who know her, and thought that when she went into labor she'd just go to the hospital, have the baby, and leave it there, since she's not attached to it in any way (we have a baby safe harbor program in our state). Well, now at 38 weeks-ish, she's decided that shes going to keep the baby and wants to know how much longer she's going to wait. When I went ot take her bp, she said she didn't care abuot that, she doesn't wanted to know how much longer she had to suffer through being so hot..couldn't I induce her herbally (I said NO).

I'm all for women who educate themselves and do their own care, because eslf-care is Still prenatal care, in my book. But ignorance is not.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #15
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow....this woman. sometimes you wonder at what point women like this decided all of a sudden they don't want the baby anymore.

are you sure she's not been abusing any drugs? i'm not saying it's always the case but i know that a good share of these women that are simply negligent and lie about the pg and such do so b/c they're afraid the ob will know they're using and don't want the baby taken away. would this even be a possibilty w/her?

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #16
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

No. Imo,. she's a horrible parent, for reasons beyond this, but her dad used to be an addict-clean for 6 years now-and she's very vocal in her community about anti-drug stuff. What she told me was that she was with the baby's father for a very brief time, and didn't want to have a bay, so she was in self-denial...which is only believeable is you are actually in denial and not talking about your pregnancy. I think what happened is she suddenly realized what she (hadn't!) done, and is now trying to get some care to make things okay. Well, anyhow, her first (and possibly last ) ob appointment is tomorrowand she's getting an ultrasound, so I do hope that, for the baby's sake, things look okay. Like I said, everything sounded okay, but I can't see inside wombs I'm just feeling so sad for those kids....
Old 07-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #17
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I really do hate people like that.....because they give those of us who choose UP or UC with much education, information, self-care, etc, a bad name.
If i ended up at the hospital for some reason, I would be treated EXACTLY like this woman, because my personal choice of prenatal care (to do it myself) in the medical community's eyes, is the same as what this woman did, and it so totally ISN'T!!!!!!!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #18
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

sigh
dreaded double post

Last edited by bobandjess99; 07-25-2006 at 04:01 PM.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #19
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
I really do hate people like that.....because they give those of us who choose UP or UC with much education, information, self-care, etc, a bad name.
If i ended up at the hospital for some reason, I would be treated EXACTLY like this woman, because my personal choice of prenatal care (to do it myself) in the medical community's eyes, is the same as what this woman did, and it so totally ISN'T!!!!!!!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:32 PM   #20
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
sigh
dreaded double post
But it helps with post count