Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

2:1 is this normal?

Obviously I have no idea what is normal or not because I am a first time mom but I notice that my left boob is much more full than my right one. I know that a lot of women have a faster flow boob and this is my left one. The problem is that for every time I feed on my right side I want to feed twice on my left because if I don't it hurts and feels way to full. So my question, is this normal to have one boob that produces twice as much milk as the other? What do I do about it?

Right now I am just pumping from the left boob if it feels way to full and starts to hurt. I only get 1 oz from my right but can easily pump 2-2.5 from my left.

Anyone want to help me out, give me advice, anything?

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2:1 is this normal?

This is completely normal. My right side has produced more and had better let down than my left side. I'm very large breasted so the difference isn't visually noticeable, but in smaller breasted women it can be a problem in having whole cup size difference in their breasts. I would encourage you to not pump or feed twice from the same breast during feedings (unless you need to to satisfy your LO's appetite) as this will encourage the difference to persist. Just keep switching sides as you nurse and eventually they will get closer to the same.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Is their a way to make the pain less intense when I do not nurse from the left side? I can handle it but it is just very annoying and a bit painful....
Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
momof3ejs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Start feeding your son from the right side first every time. I know that this will make the left side more uncomfortable, but it will eventually go down a little bit. The only way to help this is to feed your lo less from the more abundant side and more from the side that produces less. When you pump or feed extra from the left side, it makes the problem worse. Your body thinks that that side needs to make more, so thats what happens. After not doing this for a day or two, it should get better and even out more for you.
Hope this helps!!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
jessh2021
Registered Users

completely normal... from experience=mine evened out for the most part at about 3 months--even though there are times i can notice a slight difference it is no longer painful or uncomfortable (the leaking and spraying has also stopped)....good luck and hang in there...if you have to pump a little to ease the pain but remember the more you pump the more it thinks it needs that milk...so try cold/ice packs to decrease blood flow...good luck mamma!!!
jessh2021 is offline   Reply With Quote