Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
a "I can't believe this person" post

To those parents who do smoke, my apologies if I offended you. The comment wasn't directed at you, but at this individual I met.....and I will admit that I view my former bad habit in the same light. I guess it really truly bothers me that folks in this day and age still smoke with children. So you've given data that says breastmilk of a mother who smokes is still safe. Fine, great. That's a bonus to those children of smoking parents. I still am appalled that a parent knowing the risks to their child *in general * would smoke and nurse their child. I've known women who smoked both during PG and nurisng, AND around their children, and thought there was nothing wrong with it, and I just don't get it.

I just brought my daughter home from the NICU, seeing all kinds of babies on ventilators and support systems, and fighting for each breath, and so I guess I'm just a little bit sensitive to folks who take advantage of breathing, especially that of their own child, ya know? That being said, I AM A FORMER SMOKER. I know where the smokers are at, how they feel, how damn difficult it can be to quit smoking. BUT, it can be be done. I understand the reaction of immediately being on the offense and being defensive about my habit even if a comment or conversation was made but not directed at me personally, BTDT a whole bunch of times. What I don't understand is why someone wouldn't want to quit when there are so many programs and ways to stop, not only for the parents own health, but for their child's health as well. When I look back at all the precautions I made to ensure I reduced the amount of pollutants I was bringing back around my children (I would completely change my outer clothing, wear a cap on my hair and wash exposed skin like face, neck and hands), I realize how stupid my habit was and how I was reducing my life expectancy with each smoke - reducing the time I had with my children and husband. That's when I quit for good. I will admit that when I walk through someone's smoke, there will still be times I wish I could smoke.....wishing it was a healthy habit rather than a unhealthy and dangerous habit so I could still do it, knowing I can't be weak again and allow it to run my life, thinking that stress is a reasonable excuse *FOR ME* (and please note I am saying - FOR ME - not aiming this at anyone other than myself personally) to pick up a cig and smoke.

I met a new mom (first baby) in my peds office today when I took Eden for her first check up. The woman/girl was talking about how she had looked forward to her first smoke after giving birth to her daughter - making sure she was on her feet the day after delivery (the child's a week old) then proceeded to tell me how well the baby was latching on and nursing, blah blah blah.....and she's SMOKING? Did she take a dumb pill or what? I mean, come on lady! It's all good and well that she's trying to breastfeed, but you have to stop the smoking first!!!!! Sheesh. Some folks just don't have a clue.

Advertisement

Last edited by ZooCrew10; 10-19-2007 at 11:14 AM.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

Re: What an idiot - a "I can't believe this person" post

I only hope that she didn't smoke while pregnant. That's gross either way.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Its gross but its actually better to smoke and breastfeed than to give formula...but of course: Formula is JUST AS GOOD as breastmilk, right?
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukawww View Post
Its gross but its actually better to smoke and breastfeed than to give formula...but of course: Formula is JUST AS GOOD as breastmilk, right?
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thats nice. I love when I see pregnant women drinking beers and smoking cigarettes I guess I dont see the point in nursing while smoking I mean, sure they may be getting some antibodies and 'maybe' some nutrients...but they are also getting lung problems along with it.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukawww View Post
Not quite sure how to respond to this...........serious or sarcastic??

Personally, if someone can't give up the smokes, IMO baby is better off getting formula!! I'm a former smoker, but I never smoked after I found out I was pg (haven't smoked in nearly 4 years) and never smoked during BF. Never relished the thought of having my baby addicted to nicotine!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionnecherub View Post
Thats nice. I love when I see pregnant women drinking beers and smoking cigarettes I guess I dont see the point in nursing while smoking I mean, sure they may be getting some antibodies and 'maybe' some nutrients...but they are also getting lung problems along with it.
Well - the LLL says that if you HAVE to smoke, BFing is still best.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildasMum View Post
Well - the LLL says that if you HAVE to smoke, BFing is still best.
You have GOT to be kidding! wow. How about if they're doing cocaine? pot? etc etc etc? Nicotine is safe? How about second hand smoke around baby? I can BF to help my child through out their life while at the same time shortening it because of my bad habit??
Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sarcastic about the 'just as good' part cause that is an ongoing debate in our world - I personally think breastmilk is better (along with all the scientific evidence).

However, it is also a scientific fact that breastfeeding even while smoking is healthier and more beneficial than formula feeding.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooCrew10 View Post
You have GOT to be kidding! wow. How about if they're doing cocaine? pot? etc etc etc? Nicotine is safe? How about second hand smoke around baby? I can BF to help my child through out their life while at the same time shortening it because of my bad habit??
No. They don't say it's "safe". http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep04p75.html

May answers some questions for you.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote