Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #21
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:
Re: What an idiot - a "I can't believe this person" post

It's not the nicotine per se that shortens your life span but the method of delivery, i.e. the damage to your lungs incurred during smoking. Her lo isn't actually inhaling cig smoke (i would HOPE she's at least not smoking around the baby) so it's different. There is more of a risk of the child developing asthma from the lingering cig smoke on mom's hands or clothes than a lung problem because of what's in bm. I also hope the mom knows that she shouldn't cosleep with her lo because of that reason. Cosleeping with a smoker is definitely not advised. Can't remember the thread right now but it's over on mothering if you search.

Advertisement

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yuck! Poor baby....I imagine the poor LO has to smell the smoke on mommys clothes while nursing and her hair.

My mom was a cosleeper/smoker~I didn't know that was wrong. Then again....she did ALOT of things she shouldn't have done.

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 10-18-2007 at 06:23 PM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #23
rizomomof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather8183 View Post
I agree with the point being made but I think the "idiot" thing is going a little far. I just think it is rude. Here's this woman trying to make the best decision for her baby and yeah she smokes but here's the thing...it's HER kid, not yours.

BTW I don't smoke and I haven't ever. Like I said I agree that it's not smart to do. But I also think the way it was posted was like you're better than her.
rizomomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #24
corithompson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennywymore View Post
you have to get a lisence to have a dog or cat, even to drive but anyone can have a baby....
True, but then there are social workers who will show up on your door with the police one day and take away your kid if you're a bad enough parent whereas we all know that animal control does barely anything to help out abused animals. And here in BC Canada, if you have one child who's been apprehended and you have another kid, there is a significantly higher chance that that baby (and any other baby mom may have) will be apprehended at birth...fyi
corithompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #25
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/faq/smoking_bfdg.html
http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html
http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep04p75.html
Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #26
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennywymore View Post
you have to get a lisence to have a dog or cat, even to drive but anyone can have a baby....
I've been stumped about that one, too

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #27
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I would think that since babies who are exposed to smoke are at greater risk for ear infections and respiratory infections, they need the antibodies of breastmilk even more than babies whose moms don't smoke.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #28
katmatd
Registered Users
seller

One of my relatives smokes like crazy and she is due a month after me. We went shopping with my son in his stroller, and she kept lighting up!!!!! So gross! I was getting really angry. It was making me sick, so I can;t imagine how it made him feel. Poor baby. I was so dumbfounded at how rude she was being, I couldn't even open my stupid mouth to tell her to stop. A couple months after that happened, I found out she was taking someone elses prescription percasets (sp). Who knows what other stupidity is going on, there! I feel so sorry for the little boy in her womb!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 PM   #29
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some posts are better left unwritten, huh? No offense to the OP, since I'm sure she didn't know the controversy that awaited this post, but oh my gosh, Mamas....We all know who has made what choice and why by now. Pat yourself on the shoulder for making your choice and move on.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:02 AM   #30
AngieJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im probably going to get slameed down for this but.. I smoke and ll said as long as I smoke after baby eats and not 90 mins before baby eats then baby does not get any nictione.. The meds I was going to be put on for my bipolar are far worse than me smoking and smoke elminates the stress that triggers my disorder so in my case I do use caution but it is better than being on meds that I would never bf bc I dont know what they could do to him... so go ahead yell at me scream at me... but I dont smoke in the house or around baby at all....