Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: new recall on all presc. for colds for infants

They are inneffective for children under 6. No matter if you use it or not, there is no effect on their colds. There are a TON of adverse side effects though (according to the news last night.)

Advertisement

The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #12
Roseplummer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseplummer View Post
If my kids need meds I get a prescription from the dr. for Rondec. My kids have asthma so not treating a cold isn't an option for us.
I got to thinking about this and cold is really the wrong word. I don't really medicate for simple colds. It's usually bronchitis we get the meds for.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:46 AM   #13
mommyfrog
Registered Users

How could they work on adults and not kids? What's the "magic" age they start working? Give me a break!! If they work for me, I can safely assume they will have the same medicinal effect on my kids. I had a cold that was miserable and because I'm pregnant can only take Sudafed and Tylenol. It helped with the head stuff but not the coughing so much I couldn't sleep. About the time I got over it, my 4 year old (who has asthma) starts getting it. He's miserable and can't sleep because he's coughing so much. Now normally I would try Vicks first but we're all out and the power was out from a windstorm. So I look in the cabinet and I found some kids cold and cough, give it to him, and he's fast asleep in 10 minutes. How is that not working? Works for me!! No more crying miserable boy. I can see using other methods first (humidifiers and Vicks) but what if it just isn't working or you don't have any? If they pull all the kids cold medicine, I'm afraid people will start trying to dose their kids with adult medicine. That will be very dangerous. If they would just figure out and give accurate dosing by weight for kids and babies, it would solve the safety issue of people accidentally overdosing their babies or kids. I'm glad someone started this thread, because this has been bugging me for days!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thats just it, they don't work on adults either. THere are certain meds that do work, but most of them are prescription only. There are certain antihystamines (but those only work for allergies, not colds) and decongestants that do infact work. Most of the other stuff adults buy for their colds is mostly alcohol. Expectorants are a joke. The most effective expectorant available is water. Its safer too. So what it really is is that the meds sold over the counter for infants and toddlers and even young children are not the drugs that actually work, those are too strong to be given to children so little without the proper oversight of a Dr. However it has been decided that some of these drugs can safely be used by an adult with out a prescription. And the rest of it is just junk that doesn't work but has a ton of side effects. The AAP says it, the AFP says it, every group of Dr's who have ever studied it say so.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #15
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Thats just it, they don't work on adults either. THere are certain meds that do work, but most of them are prescription only. There are certain antihystamines (but those only work for allergies, not colds) and decongestants that do infact work. Most of the other stuff adults buy for their colds is mostly alcohol. Expectorants are a joke. The most effective expectorant available is water. Its safer too. So what it really is is that the meds sold over the counter for infants and toddlers and even young children are not the drugs that actually work, those are too strong to be given to children so little without the proper oversight of a Dr. However it has been decided that some of these drugs can safely be used by an adult with out a prescription. And the rest of it is just junk that doesn't work but has a ton of side effects. The AAP says it, the AFP says it, every group of Dr's who have ever studied it say so.
Exactly!!! You can't cure a virus. Colds are caused by a virus. The best thing to do is steam and vapor rub (or Tea Tree Oil), fluids, and rest. If you have a headache, take Tylenol or Advil. Cold meds don't work for anyone and it's ridiculous that they were even on the shelf to begin with. Basically, when giving a young child cold meds, you are giving them the side effects of the meds. Most meds have some sort of alcohol in it. If you give them tylenol and cold meds they are getting an overdose of tylenol. Natural remedies work and do not hurt a child (I am an allergy sufferer who has a child with allergies).
Old 10-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #16
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
How could they work on adults and not kids? What's the "magic" age they start working? Give me a break!! If they work for me, I can safely assume they will have the same medicinal effect on my kids. I had a cold that was miserable and because I'm pregnant can only take Sudafed and Tylenol. It helped with the head stuff but not the coughing so much I couldn't sleep. About the time I got over it, my 4 year old (who has asthma) starts getting it. He's miserable and can't sleep because he's coughing so much. Now normally I would try Vicks first but we're all out and the power was out from a windstorm. So I look in the cabinet and I found some kids cold and cough, give it to him, and he's fast asleep in 10 minutes. How is that not working?
More than likely he's asleep because of the amount of alcohol that's in the med. That's why Nyquil puts you to sleep. Not because it has helped your symptoms but because of the level of alcohol in the meds. NOT good for a little child.

Last edited by MyLil'Mountaineers; 10-21-2007 at 08:33 PM.
MyLil'Mountaineers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:44 PM   #17
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always make sure I am buying meds withOUT alcohol in them for my kids. Funny thing is, after they take the meds, they can breathe again for a little while (and this is day time when they aren't sleeping). I definitely beg to differ that these meds don't work. I am pretty upset by all of this. I think more parents are going to overdose their babies cause they will self-dose the meds (especially parents who can't afford a trip to the ped for every cold - these are also, most likely, parents who don't know about natural remedies).

I give meds very sparingly, but if my babies are suffering, I WILL find them relief. And my ped isn't open at 2am when babies feel the worst (and usually when illness hits without warning). I'm just glad I still have some from before everybody went crazy over 54 deaths in over 40 years because of cold medicine. Silly.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:48 PM   #18
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
every group of Dr's who have ever studied it say so.
So when do we trust doctors and when don't we??? They don't know what they are talking about when it comes to vaccines, but with cold medicine, all of a sudden, they are geniuses??? I am not being snarky (really, I am so confused and confuddled right now about vaxing, it isn't even funny), I just really don't understand how you could be against vax'ing when every group of doctor supports it, but defending them when they support this silly cold med recall...please help me!!!
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #19
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukawww View Post
So when do we trust doctors and when don't we??? They don't know what they are talking about when it comes to vaccines, but with cold medicine, all of a sudden, they are geniuses??? I am not being snarky (really, I am so confused and confuddled right now about vaxing, it isn't even funny), I just really don't understand how you could be against vax'ing when every group of doctor supports it, but defending them when they support this silly cold med recall...please help me!!!
I agree.

I don't give OTC cold meds to my babies, but it has worked in my older kids. I cannot do vicks in my home because my DS has asthma and Vicks makes IT WAY WORSE! He is very allergic.
For my babies we use the bulb syringe and saline. My kids do use a neti pot also, but there are times when dimetapp, Tylenol cold has come in handy for my kids. If not just to relieve some stuffiness of their noses.

I do agree that there should be a universal syringe and weights on the packaging of ALL infant concentrated drop cold medicines, that way parents are dosing correctly.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:46 AM   #20
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
How could they work on adults and not kids? What's the "magic" age they start working? Give me a break!! If they work for me, I can safely assume they will have the same medicinal effect on my kids. I had a cold that was miserable and because I'm pregnant can only take Sudafed and Tylenol. It helped with the head stuff but not the coughing so much I couldn't sleep. About the time I got over it, my 4 year old (who has asthma) starts getting it. He's miserable and can't sleep because he's coughing so much. Now normally I would try Vicks first but we're all out and the power was out from a windstorm. So I look in the cabinet and I found some kids cold and cough, give it to him, and he's fast asleep in 10 minutes. How is that not working? Works for me!! No more crying miserable boy. I can see using other methods first (humidifiers and Vicks) but what if it just isn't working or you don't have any? If they pull all the kids cold medicine, I'm afraid people will start trying to dose their kids with adult medicine. That will be very dangerous. If they would just figure out and give accurate dosing by weight for kids and babies, it would solve the safety issue of people accidentally overdosing their babies or kids. I'm glad someone started this thread, because this has been bugging me for days!!
Totally agree with this!

I know you can't cure a cold but you can certainly make it much easier to function and feel better during it. I tend to get back cold ever since my first bronchitis bout. And I tell you what I have had to go as high as vicodin cough syrup just so I could get enough sleep to function! And believe you me that stuff tastes horrible. I start with tussin..otc. And work my way up. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I think this is just horrible and I will be going out and checking for some for my daughter if not Tussin it is. If she ever gets a cold.

BTW we do the vicks, lots of water, vaporizor, etc ontop of OTC meds.