Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
emilykaysmommy
Registered Users
seller

possible kidney/bladder issues in a 10 month old?

Ok I hope I picked the right topic...
I don't want to air my DD's complete medical history out here but I'm looking for advice/support from other mamas that may have gone through this with their children.
My DD has had 1 diagnosed UTI and may have another one (will get results Monday). Her pedi told us that in babies UTIs usually indicate kidney/bladder/ urethra/ureter problems. So he sent her for a renal ultrasound, everything came back "perfect." So we went to her follow up yesterday and they collected another urine specimen on her to make sure the UTI was gone... well it came back with blood and protein. She had had 3 other urine specimens that didn't show blood or protein and when the pedi told us that he said it was good there was none of that.. well yesterday it was in there and when I asked what it meant he said it was nothing to be concerned about?! Does that not make sense to anyone else? Anyway now she's going to have a VGUC (cathed and have dye injected into her bladder to make sure the bladder contents aren't going back up into kidneys)...
I'm trying not to worry but she hasn't been herself... she's pretty irritable and not sleeping well and has been grabbing at her diapers and at times really fighting us during diaper changes...
I'm just really scared she could be having a serious problem and no one is figuring it out quick enough...
thanks for reading if you are still with me!!

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
jerseygirl8676
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: possible kidney/bladder issues in a 10 month old?

HI..I just wanted to let you know that i went through the same thing with my now 6 yo DD...She had 2 diagnosed UTI's and other infections... we had the blood work, the ultrasounds, the urine samples, then they did send her for the VCUG ( i do suggest asking them to give her something, though JMO) and there was reflux in the kidneys, but very small. I hope im explaining this correctly, it was a few years ago. The Pediatric urologist decided against doing anything as far as surgery, but did put her on a low dose of antibiotics for a short time. We did a follow up U/S about 6 months later and she looked good..doc said sometimes the child basically grows out of it, or heals themselves.
**Have you taken your DD to a Pediatric Urologist or just going about this with your pediatrican?
Anyway she always seemed to be very sensitive around her vaginal area, even now and we have had to change her soaps (use Dr. Bronner's baby mid bar), her laundry deterget (any FREE detergent) and moistuizer (use Jojoba , sweet almond oil, or coconut oil). She has beeen doing good for the last year since switching, and has been very healthy.
A few tips from the doc..dont sit in a soapy bath too long..get in ,get washed,get out..or take a shower. If wet change right away (whether it be a diaper or bathing suit..or undies i guess) Lots of water when she gets older and yogurt.
Wanted to give you a big i know its hard when your child isn't feeling well. Make sure you keep me updated.
jerseygirl8676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
emilykaysmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: possible kidney/bladder issues in a 10 month old?

I looked up the treatment for kidney reflux and what you explained is right on. they recheck them after 6 months. We are just going through her pediatrician now... Since he seems to be doing all the necessary tests I haven't asked for a referral... but depending on what the VGUC shows I might ask for a referral. The pedi told us treatment would be low grade antibiotics. My DH got pretty mad, he doesn't like the idea of her being on antibiotics long term... It makes me nervous too but hopefully it wouldn't be for long if it all. Thank you for sharing! I will keep all those things in mind.