Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
WildflowerCB
Registered Users
Formerly: ri814146
seller
seller

My Mood:
How do I get rid of the nipple sheild

DD was 6 lbs 5 oz when we left the hospital and my boobs are huge, so the only way I was able to get her to nurse was with the sheild. Now she is a little bigger, and 7 weeks old. I try everyday to give her the breast without the shield. I know she can nurse because she will latch evvery once in a while and nurse for about 5 min. but then she screems, or she screems when I even try to give it to her without the nipple shiled. I just want to get rid of it, it makes nursing so much more difficult for me at this point. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Last edited by WildflowerCB; 10-20-2007 at 08:48 AM.
WildflowerCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
nillabarr
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How do I get rid of the nipple sheild

I had to use a nipple shield for the first few months of nursing with DS. I had flat/inverted nipples and didn't know it! I used the soft Medela Contact shield and got the hang of it. One day I was out and forgot it! I started freaking out thinking he wasn't going to nurse... my friend told me to just try and he did! He was a little older than your LO. Maybe give it a couple more weeks? What type of shield are you using?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
WildflowerCB
Registered Users
Formerly: ri814146
seller
seller

My Mood:

the same one, its soft and from medela. what she ends up doing is screeming when my nipple is in her mouth but not sucking. I have tried making my nipple hard and having milk on it to motivate her and she doesn't care, she really wants the shield.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hear ya momma...but I have no suggestions as we're in the same boat.

My DD was 8#8oz...dropped to 7#6oz and by her 3 week appt was finally back to her birthweight. We started using the nipple shield because it was either that, or keep bottle feeding her (we had to bottle feed 2oz every 2 hours for most of the first week to get her weight up)... My girl is 4 weeks old today and does the same things you're describing - screams when nip is in her mouth. We try at every session bare breast and she opens wide, but then slams her mouth shut and starts to suck with only the nipple in her mouth, but not enough boob!

I so hear you on the frustration... has it gotten any better for you yet?

~hugs~

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Is it possible that you might have an over active let down? DD does the same thing, I have to change her to my weaker side.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

We had to use a nipple shield too but for different reasons. DS had a weak latch, and instead of showing me how to correct it, my LC just threw a shield at me. After 2 months of trying, I learned how to do the C-hold (also known as "breast sandwich") and it worked like a charm. Not sure if that will help you, but that's my
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I've never used a nipple shield so I don't personally know, but I've heard of some women that have weaned from the shield to start off the nursing session using the shield. Once your milk lets down and she's going to town on you, unlatch, take the shield off, and quickly relatch. After doing this several times, they were able to go completely shield-free. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
lizzytra
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippymama View Post
We had to use a nipple shield too but for different reasons. DS had a weak latch, and instead of showing me how to correct it, my LC just threw a shield at me. After 2 months of trying, I learned how to do the C-hold (also known as "breast sandwich") and it worked like a charm. Not sure if that will help you, but that's my
Gotta love the "breast sandwich". I had to do that for the first couple of months for my DD.

My DS the only way I could get him to stay on was w/a shield. I unfortunately ended up formula feeding him b/c of lack of info, but I say just keep trying and give yourself time.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Marion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One thing that helped for us to get off the sheild was to spent a lot of time skin to skin. After a few days of just that and doing that start with the sheild and then pull off and the sandwich hold we were able to wean from it. I have over active letdown so that is why they had me use it. Bad advice from the hossy LC Hope that helps some.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I saw our LC again yesterday (5th time in 4 weeks!) ... and it's been decided that my baby Laura is just stubborn and realized that the flow from the shield is like the flow from a bottle - fast and effortless on her part... so, our plan for Monday all day is to pretend we don't own a shield... just go all day and not give in ... if she gets beyond hungry I'm to squirt milk into her mouth and/or use a medicine cup to give her just enough to calm her, but not give her the shield or a bottle... My LC says that Laura will not starve, but that she'll get hungry enough that she'll decide she has to latch on.

...Oh God give me the strength I'll need to get through Monday without being a basket case!

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote