Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I get rid of the nipple sheild

Sounds like a good plan! I also think lots of skin to skin contact might help you get through! Good luck, remember, this to shall pass!

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
pernillep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcess721 View Post
I saw our LC again yesterday (5th time in 4 weeks!) ... and it's been decided that my baby Laura is just stubborn and realized that the flow from the shield is like the flow from a bottle - fast and effortless on her part... so, our plan for Monday all day is to pretend we don't own a shield... just go all day and not give in ... if she gets beyond hungry I'm to squirt milk into her mouth and/or use a medicine cup to give her just enough to calm her, but not give her the shield or a bottle... My LC says that Laura will not starve, but that she'll get hungry enough that she'll decide she has to latch on.

...Oh God give me the strength I'll need to get through Monday without being a basket case!
May you be a stronger woman than me I tried that but I couldn't handle it. I broke down very quickly.
For me I tried to offer wihtout a shield everytime we nursed until he latched and actually stayed that way. when he would not latch of pop of I would swithc to hte shield after trying a few times to get him back on. I think i had about 2 weeks of screaming everytime I tried to go without a shield but eventually he figured it out.
I think by around 2 months he had it down.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
tlaquepaque
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just made sure to nurse Amira everyday without the shield. Even if it was just for a few minutes before she cried and wanted the shield. I didn't make it into a battle. After doing that for a few weeks I started using the shield at the beginning of a nursing session and then taking it off in the middle. Sometimes I had to put it back on but that was okay. Sometime around 9 weeks old she started latching without it and we just didn't need it anymore. I still used it at night for a week after that because I didn't want to wake up enough to check the latch. After that we were done and I haven't used one since! Don't stress about it. Just keep offering.

BTW- if anyone needs an extra nipple shield in the 24mm standard size I have one NIP that I would be happy to send to you. I had thrush so I threw all the old ones away but this one is new. PM me if you need it.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernillep View Post
For me I tried to offer wihtout a shield everytime we nursed until he latched and actually stayed that way. when he would not latch of pop of I would swithc to hte shield after trying a few times to get him back on. I think i had about 2 weeks of screaming everytime I tried to go without a shield...
We're into our 3rd full week of trying this at every feeding... but the thing is, she never actually latches - just sucks the nipple, no full latch. She sucks her tongue so it's never down where it needs to be to get the full amount in her mouth...

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
WildflowerCB
Registered Users
Formerly: ri814146
seller
seller

ok ladies, I have been offering her no shield a first as well as trying to remove the shield after we have been nursing and it just pisses her off. (BTW my dd is a redhead!) She can latch, I feel her start to suck and the latch feels right, I have been doing the breast sandwich every time as that is the only way she will take it, but after a few sucks she just screams. So here I am with my nipple in her mouth and she is screaming anyway. I don't know if I can handle the screaming all day if I attempted not to offer her the shield all day. The sad thing is I feel like if we don't fix this soon I might stop breastfeeding. I just don't enjoy the struggle, it makes going out hard, and I am finding that even though I am also pumping my milk supply is starting to go down. I no longer get really full and I dont feel the let down when she crys like she used to. I am so frustrated
Old 11-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #16
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Sometimes it just takes them awhile to catch on. Then one feeding - bam - they'll get it. I know it's frustrating but some babies take a little longer to get used the idea than others. Hang in there, you're doing great!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #17
huntersmomma
Registered Users

to you momma. I know what you are going through. Hunter would only nurse with the sheild at first. I had to wean him from them fast, because he was sucking my nipples threw the holes. ouch After 2 weeks and 2 very sore nipples we were able to get off the shields. Nursing in a warm bath helped us alot, as well as pumping for a few minutes them trying to nurse. Lots of to you momma.

SAHM to Hunter 7/14/07
I love BFing, BWing & CDing

Check out my Avon website and help me stay home with Ds. www.youravon.com/lisaharper
huntersmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #18
kathteach
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am sorry you are so frustrated. I use the nipple shields too and I know what a pain in the butt they are.
About supply--the not feeling the breast fullness doesn't necessarily mean your supply is dropping. It's normal not to feel the fullness as strongly as time goes on. There is a woman on mothering.com who nursed for 18 months using the shields the whole time. Not your goal I know, but I just wanted to reassure you that using shields doesn't mean your breastfeeding relationship has to end prematurely.
I wish I knew where, but I read that most babies, if they give up the shields, do so by 14 to 16 weeks. On mothering.com there is a whole thread in the breastfeeding forum about nipple shields, you may want to read it. (I hope it's okay to talk about other websites here, if not I apologize.)
I wish you luck! Please update us and let us know how it goes. I wish you the best!
kathteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #19
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri814146 View Post
The sad thing is I feel like if we don't fix this soon I might stop breastfeeding. I just don't enjoy the struggle, it makes going out hard, and I am finding that even though I am also pumping my milk supply is starting to go down. I no longer get really full and I dont feel the let down when she crys like she used to. I am so frustrated
Hang in there mama! I nursed my first DD for 21 months with the shield! I tried everything and she was quite stubborn and wouldnt wean from it no matter what I tried so I decided I was sick of stressing about it and just went with it. You'll even get the hang of NIP with it, its not bad once you figure out how. (I would put DD in position and then slip the shield on.) I'm not suggesting that your babe won't wean from the shield ever, just saying that if it comes to you getting so tired of the struggle you want to wean, then just go with using the shield.

As far as the let down and not feeling full - thats not necessarily a sign that you milk supply has dropped - thats your body adjusting to milk production and that just happens. Your body is producing just what your babe needs instead of extra and feeling too full. Some mothers never feel let down, again, normal. As far as the pump, your baby is much better at getting milk from you than a pump is, so pumping isn't a good indicator of supply either. The old info that you find about nipple shields will tell you that they make your supply drop, but they are talking about the older thicker shields, not the new silicone ones like you have. I was cautious about my supply with DD and was sure to let her nurse alot, but my body full adapted to supplying her enough even through the shield.

Anyway, I hope this is encouraging to you, its tough when every nursing session is a battle and you feel like its not working right. Nursing with the shield still gives your babe all the great benefits of breastmilk, so try to not stress about it for awhile and just see what happens. PM me if you want to chat more.

Christy
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #20
WildflowerCB
Registered Users
Formerly: ri814146
seller
seller

thank you everyone for all your support, we will keep trying. Hopefully we will get somewhere soon!