Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How do I get rid of the nipple sheild

I know I already pm'd original poster, but just wanted to update that our all day nipple shield strike worked!

- Andrea -
Mommy to 3 little sweeties.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How do I get rid of the nipple sheild

Originally Posted by ri814146 View Post
ok ladies, I have been offering her no shield a first as well as trying to remove the shield after we have been nursing and it just pisses her off. (BTW my dd is a redhead!) She can latch, I feel her start to suck and the latch feels right, I have been doing the breast sandwich every time as that is the only way she will take it, but after a few sucks she just screams. So here I am with my nipple in her mouth and she is screaming anyway. I don't know if I can handle the screaming all day if I attempted not to offer her the shield all day. The sad thing is I feel like if we don't fix this soon I might stop breastfeeding. I just don't enjoy the struggle, it makes going out hard, and I am finding that even though I am also pumping my milk supply is starting to go down. I no longer get really full and I dont feel the let down when she crys like she used to. I am so frustrated
i used a shield for three months after some similar complications -
the same screaming and refusal and it made nip horrible - i'm sure you kwim -
anyhow not feeling the let down doesnt necessarily mean anything about anything or not feeling full - that sounds just like your body adjusting -

i wish i could really be of more help but my ds ended up in the icu - COMPLETELY NOT RELATED - and i pumped milk for him for almost 3 weeks - then after the ngo tube came out he went back to the breast like the first time -
i didnt have let down sensation for almost 5 months after that - and had had it strong before that - also i was only pumping what he needed which was only 24 oz in the hospital - so i was demanding less of my body that he typically did - however now at 8 months old he is still happily nursing - and i am thankful to be without a shield -
as for the fullness i'm less full *um so to speak* than when i graduated from high school but .... my deflated boobs do just fine as far as the baby's tummy seems to be concerned -

if you search shield on this forum i'm sure you'll probably find my post asking the same question and maybe some of those mommas had some other advice

Last edited by negrapy; 11-05-2007 at 09:33 PM.
negrapy is offline   Reply With Quote