Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
greeneyedambe
Registered Users
Formerly: comfycozydiapers
seller

My Mood:
Re: The best convertible carseat??

BRITAX! It is the best carseat manufacturer by far! I believe you get what you pay for with a carseat & it is definately worth it to spend the extra money on one of the safest, most reliable carseats there are! We bought 2 Britax Decathalons and we absolutely LOVE them!

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have both a Britax Marathon and an Evenflo Triumph (one for each car). Let me tell, you-- HANDS DOWN... Britax is much better. It's so much easier to install, our DD looks a lot more comfortable in it, and it's easier to buckle & unbuckle (according to my mom who has arthritis in her hands).

Plus, I have read that Britax makes one of the safest carseats out there...

We'll definitely be splurging for another Britax when we have another babe.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #13
CheaperByTheDozen
Registered Users

Another Britax fan... I have a Marathon, and one of the ealier seats. We just ordered a Regent for my oldest. I plan on getting the Boulevard next for my lds or baby. The Boulevard... the BEST. Get that one over the Roundabout or Marathon. I wish I had...
CheaperByTheDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #14
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your only choices for a seat that is both rearfacing and forward facing with a higher weight limit is Britax Marathon,Boulevard, or Decathlon. All of these will run anywhere from 230-290$ bestbuybaby.com had some sweet deals on the decathlons with discontinued covers recently. The Sunshine Kids Radian. This seat runs from 179-199$ Target.com has it right now, but a lot of on line stores have it on back order. It is a very narrow seat and takes up less room in the car, but it isn't as universally compatible as Britax when it comes to installs. The Fisher Price Safe Voyage is another option that someone else mentioned. It runs around the same as the Radian as far as price. It is actually made by Britax and meets the same standards that Britax seats meet. It has the forward face limit to 55lbs instead of 65 like the others above, BUT most kids never make it to 65lbs in any of those seats before they get too tall, so the weight limit is a moot point. It really all depends on your budget and your car. All seats in the US have to meet the same safety standards. The best seat is the seat that fits your budget, your car, your child and will be use correctly every time.
There is also a great seat that a lot of people don't think of when talking convertibles. The PP was right in saying that it is best to leave your child rearfacing to the limits of your seat. The Cosco Scenera has the highest rearfacing weight limit of all seats. It can rearface to 35lbs. It also has a relatively high seat shell to accomodate the higher limit. It's forward facing limit is only 40 lbs, but it has higher top slots than a lot of 40 lbs seats, so you stand a better chance of making the full 40 lbs before needing another seat. The best part, if money is an issue right now, is they only run 40-50$ and are available at most big chain dept. stores like Wal-mart and K-mart, as well as target. So, you can get a great seat for a minimal price and then later down the road get a higher weight limit seat when the funds are available to spend on one.

Also, if you have a babies r us, they will let you take a seat out and put it in your car and see if it fits well before you buy it. Most store will do this if you ask, although I occasionally hear of some refusing. But it is policy at BRU.

So, I hope that helped. Yes the Britax are nice and have easy installs. But it is not neccesary to get them or feel like you don't have your child as safe as possible if you don't. If you can afford one, then by all means get one. If you can't, don't feel bad about it. The Scenera is a highly reccomended seat. The Fisher Price is a good middle of the road choice as far as price.

The biggest thing is to remember to use whatever seat you decide to get the right way everytime. That make all the difference in the world. Even the best seats can fail if not used properly. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #15
Paulie522
Registered Users

Smile Re: The best convertible carseat??

The Britax roundabout is really great but ours cost $200 new at Target. Higher weight limit in rear facing configuration, higher weight limit overall, really comfy, washable, not hugely wide as to allow other passengers in back seats, airline approved, cheap covers avail on ebay, good deal. worth the 2 bills.
Paulie522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #16
mommypooh
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie522
The Britax roundabout is really great but ours cost $200 new at Target. Higher weight limit in rear facing configuration, higher weight limit overall, really comfy, washable, not hugely wide as to allow other passengers in back seats, airline approved, cheap covers avail on ebay, good deal. worth the 2 bills.
The round about has higher rear facing but I thought it was still only 40 lbs FF. I am off to go look. I am pretty sure on that because that is why I wouldn't consider that one.

Quote:
The Roundabout® also offers a cozy, washable seat cover for that ultimate comfort experience for children rear-facing from 5 to 33 pounds or children forward-facing from 1 year old and 20 to 40 pounds.
This is a direct quote from Britaxusa.com website.

Last edited by mommypooh; 07-25-2006 at 08:36 PM.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #17
mrsjune
Banned
seller

My Mood:

BRITAX!!!! I wouldn't buy anything else!! Its worth every peny you spend on it. Online you can get the prints they are d/cing for cheap!!
mrsjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #18
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi2705
I say Britax. You can get some good deals now too on some of the discontinued covers (as low as $119).

Where did you see this at? The lowest I've ever seen is $219? Is it the Roundabout? I would LOVE to get marathon for that price.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:50 PM   #19
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a Britax user. I have owned well over 20 car seats in just about every brand and have owned 4 britax seats and they are by far my favorite with fisher price being my second favorite. But I have seen a new seat not sure how it rates but it is lower in cost than britax but has the high weight limits and a steel frame!..Also folds for easy storage! it is called the Radian it is 180-200 range I saw they have them online at target here is the site with info about it http://www.sunshinekidsjp.com/Pages/radian.html hth
Old 07-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #20
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocfb16
Where did you see this at? The lowest I've ever seen is $219? Is it the Roundabout? I would LOVE to get marathon for that price.
Woops! I meant $219