Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
ljane81
Registered Users
seller

Help! Front loader washing...

I am having a terrible time with urine odor in my dipes and they are all practically new (only used a handful of times so far). I have a front loading washer that uses very little water and I am wondering if this is the problem.
Changing washers isn't really an option at this point so I would really like to find a solution so I can keep cd-ing.

I usually do a cold soak, hot wash, cold rinse and an extra rinse. I have tried more detergent and less detergent. I am using Tide Free (powder) - I know this isn't highly recommended but I can't seem to find anything that is in Canada (that doesn't cost a lot more and that I can find at a nearby store) I have tried adding an extra hot wash/rinse but it made no difference. I tried vinegar but that just made my dipes smell a little like vinegar. I don't know what else to do. I really don't have time for a complicated system of adding all different products at all different times while washing. I have a very busy toddler and hopeful will have a newborn soon so I need simple!

Someone give me some front loader success stories before I give up on this whole thing all together!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

ljane81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Re: Help! Front loader washing...

Well, your wash routine sounds the same as mine. How many dipes are you washing at once? I don't do too many b/c of the lower amount of water that goes into the washer. It's more expensive, but I really recommend Allens Naturally.

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
gfarley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a front loader and after a couple of weeks I get that ammonia urine smell. My regular routine is cold prewash then a hot wash with either a very small amount (a couple of tablespoons) of Tide Free or a thimble full of All free and Clear 3X. When I get "the smell" I add 1-2 capfuls of bleach with the detergent in the bleach cup in the first hot wash. Then I wash again with nothing but hot water and repeat until no bubbles. Actually my FBs do not seem to get "the smell" just the inserts. I think the terry holds the soap. Before I ever cd I noticed that regular towels always seem to take two washes to get rid of excessive bubbles. I know that there is concerns about using bleach but this is such a small amount of bleach that only acts as a santizer. It's probably not much more than is added to municipal water.
For me stripping the soap and sanitizing with bleach does the trick.
gfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Meisubaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NAK
we have a front loader and this is my routine that works like a charm
I select a rinse cycle then push the second rinse so you get 2 rinses in one without going back to the washer twice then I do a sanitary wash cycle with a prewash, stain fighter, extra rinse on super high spin.Basically I use every heavy duty feature the sanitary wash will allow me to select The times I didn't rinse before washing was when the funk would come We use Tide powder too but the regular kind.
Meisubaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
tturchin
Registered Users
seller

I have a front loader, too. We use Allen's and a routine similar to yours...I'm guessing it's the detergent. It might be worth ordering some Allen's--I know it's expensive, but you use so little that it is worth it for us. I'm guessing we'll still be using this bottle even after we diaper for a whole year.
tturchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
ljane81
Registered Users
seller

Can you buy Allen's in a store or does it have to be online? If it is online... can someone post some links for me where I can get it?

Thanks again,

Lindsey
ljane81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
e and d
Registered Users
seller

Here's my question for you all...I also have a front loader and want to know if I should be using a high efficiency (HE) detergent. I've been reading about how it is formulated differently from traditional detergents.

Any insight?
e and d is offline   Reply With Quote