Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
itsmelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rash

Hey girls,

I hate to post such personal info, but I need help! I have a rash on my breast. I'm nursing an 11 mo old, quite a bit actually. It's somewhat itchy (not excessively so though), and on both sides. More heavy on one side than the other. It's not on the nipple, just above it. It's just on the top. Brendan is a pincher (which drives me NUTS, but it's better than the biting stage we went through!!) so his hands are always there. He also nurses a lot through the night, and will frequently sleep with my breast in his mouth. It can't be from his drool though, just being where it is. It's a raised rash, but it's kind of joined together rather than isolated bumps, if that makes sense. (So it looks like a red patch rather than several little red bumps.)

Does anyone have any ideas? I put a little tea tree oil on it, but that's all I've done. I was thinking of maybe trying some lotrimin? Does it sound like yeast to y'all? Oh, I should say, Brendan has been on LOTS of antibiotics lately, but he does NOT have a diaper rash at this time, nor does he have thrush, nor do I have a yeast infection (now THAT'S a major overshare!) It's HOT HOT HOT here, but I really don't think it's a heat rash either.

Help?

Advertisement

itsmelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
hby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Rash

It sounds like it could be yeast. If you need some treatment ideas PM me and I'll be happy to go over some with you. Could you describe it a little more. Like is it red,shiny,flaky, rash with tiny blister? Do you have any pain while nursing? I hope you can get this resolved.
hby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
Kellyd
Registered Users

I'd go with yeast even if he doesn't have thrush- esp if he kind of hangs on during the night. Yeast lives on our skin anyway- but when you give it a moist damp place to grow, it'll take over. You can use ointments or creams for yeast- but they have to be washed off before nursing. I had to use it one time and they gave me nystatin swish and swallow which is used to treat thrush. I just applied it and let it dry- and it was safe for baby to nurse without having to wash it off.
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
itsmelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks to you both, that's kind of what I was thinking but not seeing yeast anywhere else was throwing me. That said though, I noticed at last diaper change that little mr has a red tushie. I wonder if I should expect to see some yeast problems in *other* places.

Yes, I would LOVE any treatment suggestions. I detest the purple stuff. ICK.

I'll look a little more closely and will send a better description in a bit.

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
itsmelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should mention - it's not on the nipple at all, nor on the aureola. I'm not having pain while feeding. The girls are pretty floppy, but the rash isn't under my breast at all, just on the very top. Weird.