Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
hby
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: HELP!! 4mo old EBF DD allergic to all things dairy :(

I'm sorry you are going through this. I'll make this quick because I am going to bed. If you want to hear more about this let me know and I will write more tomorrow. Go to www.naet.com. Now if you are not into alternative medicine this may sound totally weird as it did to me. I am a nurse and always thought naturopaths, alternative medicine was crazy until my second DS had severe excema and green mucousy poop at 2 months. A friend reccomended it and it was and has continued to be a life saver. Like I said if you want to hear more let me know. When you go to the website on the left hand side you will see find practioner search your state to see if there is someone near you. All kinds of practioners do this from Naturopaths, M.D., Nurse Practioners, Chiropractors etc... It is a life saver and not invasive. Good luck Mama.
Hattie

Advertisement

Last edited by hby; 07-27-2006 at 11:35 PM.
hby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 AM   #12
bsydprmkn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

weddell- your dd is allergic to sesame? did they say anything about peanuts as well??? ds was allergic to peanuts up until 2 months ago and they always told us to stay away from sesame because most people who are allergic to peanuts are also allergic to sesame. ds outgrew his allergy to peanuts( thank goodness too, thats a horrible allergy) but im terrified of sesame.

i wish i could offer you some advice on milk. im lactose intolerant but not allergic. i can tolerate milk products as long as its not straight milk, like a glass of it, ice cream, brick of cheese. i would definately check out www.foodallergy.com and see what they have to say. hugs to you momma!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #13
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I don't have any advice about what to use but I wanted to say that because she is so young there is a good chance that she could out grow this allergy. My nephew was allergic to dairy when he was younger. He can tolerate it now, but he doesn't like it. I think he remembers all the bad experiences w/ it so he doesn't like it. But he can have milk on cereal now and eat cheese and ice cream. I hope your DD is the same way in the future. Good luck mama. The closest I came to this was w/ my DD, she was sensitive and so I had to stop drinking my big glasses of milk, luckily I didn't have to go the extremes that you are. I am sure you can make it work once you get the hang of it.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:51 AM   #14
aschrimp
Registered Users

Well, I've done the same thing, and for almost the exact same reasons - at 3 mos old my ds stopped pooping on his own, and when he would poop (with the encouragement of a suppository), he would have bloody mucous. I was lucky enough that his dr immediately referred us to a pediatric gastroenterologist, who diagnosed him on the first visit.

I stopped all dairy, soy and wheat (along with nuts, citrus and berries) that day. From my occasional mistakes, I determined that his worst allergy is actually to soy. I was able to add wheat back in when ds was 9 mos old with no issues (I honestly don't think wheat was ever the problem, but stopped it on her advice to rule it out). I have also just in the past couple weeks started eating yogurt and cheese in very small amounts (gi dr calls these "easy dairy"). So far, we are doing ok, but I doubt I will ever drink milk or have ice cream again while I am b******.

For milk replacements, I obviously haven't had soy milk available. I like the vanilla rice dream pretty well, and it is great in smoothies, etc. 50/50 rice dream + coconut milk works better for deserts - the fat in the coconut milk makes them a little less watery tasting. DH actually likes puddings made with 50/50 rice/coconut milk better than made with cows milk! Dairy & Soy free ice creams just aren't worth it, IMO. They aren't very good. But I have tried the soy ones in my previous life, and they are not bad.

It is tough starting out, but it does get easier. I lost weight really quickly in the beginning (I am vegetarian too, so protein was an issue for me, loosing dairy, soy and nuts all at once). You will need to be careful during this time, you can loose weight so fast that your supply can be affected. I spent a lot of time eating my first few weeks, trying to keep up while I learned the ropes - lol. But as I figured out things to eat, it got better.

Whole foods is a great place to shop. And I highly reccomend keeping some good dark chocolate on hand for emergency sweets cravings - it tastes so luscious and decadent that you will forget all about the ice cream you were originally craving!

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #15
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

I can totally relate. My DS is also allergic to cow's milk protein (drives me nuts when people say 'he's lactose intolerant' b/c he's not! He digests the lactose in my breastmilk just fine, but the protein in dairy messes with his digestive tract).

Anyway - yes, at first it is very hard b/c you have to reorient your eating habits. But lucky you that your DS isn't sensitive to soy!!! Seriously - you can get a lot of dairy 'replacement' such that in a month or so you won't notice it's gone as much. But my DS is allergic to both dairy and soy which means not only did i have to give up my beloved yogurt , I also had to give up almost all processed foods b/c they all have soybean oil/soy lechithin in them! Even jelly beans!!!

So i say that to help you feel better that just dairy-free isn't the end of the world. Duncan Hines Fudge brownie mix is dairy free, btw . And coconut milk makes a great milk substitute in recipes - like with french toast.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #16
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

And you can still have good ice cream replacements. Rice Dream makes a dark chocolate ice cream that is AWESOME, you can barely tell it's not dairy. I ate a whole pint of it earlier this week when i was feeling down from having to avoid all my favorite foods.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #17
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is also allergic to dairy! We found out when she was 6 months old and had full-body eczema - she was scratching like crazy, poor thing. My ped suggested cutting dairy as soon as he saw her...so I did and within 3 day she was a new baby - lovely super soft baby skin! And she started sleeping better, too. Okay, so I was dying w/o dairy, and since we drink raw milk (unpasteurized) I decided to put that back in my diet and see what would happen. I am lactose intolerant, but I can drink a ton of raw milk w/o any problem at all. So, I put it back in and there was absolutely no change in dd's eczema (i.e. she didn't get any flare ups). If I slip up and have any pasteurized dairy though, she breaks out within a day. When milk is pasteurized, the proteins in the milk are seriously messed up and most humans cannot digest it very well (even people that think they don't have a problem w/ dairy actually do have digestive upsets due to it, they just don't recognize it). Raw milk is essentially like breast milk (but obviously for baby cows) - there was a study done on pasteurizing breast milk (for a milk bank) and it was no better nutritionally than formula. The active enzymes, good bacteria and proteins are really good for you, and they are inactivated by pasteurization. Check out www.realmilk.org for more info. Plus, it tastes waaaaay better than past. milk, IMHO. If you can find raw cow's or goat's milk, I think it would be worth a try. Also, you can usually find raw milk cheeses, so I can at least have milk & cheese. Good luck, it is a tough thing to do to cut an entire food family out of your diet!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote