Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
bellemay
Registered Users

How can I strip the detergent off my Fuzzi Bunz???

I think the reason I have leak issues is that I have been using the wrong detergent, All Free and Clear. Can I somehow strip the detergent off of them?

Advertisement

bellemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Re: How can I strip the detergent off my Fuzzi Bunz???

Dawn is what worked best for me. Get the hottest water you can in the washer and add about a 2 or 3 second squirt of dawn. Wash and rinse until the bubbles are gone. If the build up is bad, you might try scrubbing the fleece by hand with the dawn.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9800Emily
Dawn is what worked best for me. Get the hottest water you can in the washer and add about a 2 or 3 second squirt of dawn. Wash and rinse until the bubbles are gone. If the build up is bad, you might try scrubbing the fleece by hand with the dawn.
That's the best stripping method I've found. If your build-up is bad, it might take a lot of rinsing. I also do another wash cycle without anything added to it.

Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
cicily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the Dawn, that helps a lot. Also, try using the least amount of water possible. I found that it agitated the diapers more and did a better job of stripping. I also skip the cold rinse and just keep re-running the hot wash until I didn't see anymore bubbles. It can take awhile, but it is so worth it. Good Luck!!
cicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicily
I agree with the Dawn, that helps a lot. Also, try using the least amount of water possible. I found that it agitated the diapers more and did a better job of stripping. I also skip the cold rinse and just keep re-running the hot wash until I didn't see anymore bubbles. It can take awhile, but it is so worth it. Good Luck!!
I'm in the process of stripping my dipes and I still have suds after 9 (yes 9) cycles! Will they ever go away?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I agree with the Dawn - I used it on my FBs.
Allens does a pretty good job of helping get rid of junk, too - if you're planning on buying any.
LOL, how much did you use, Christi? I have no idea how long it will take - I guess just keep going.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom
I agree with the Dawn - I used it on my FBs.
Allens does a pretty good job of helping get rid of junk, too - if you're planning on buying any.
LOL, how much did you use, Christi? I have no idea how long it will take - I guess just keep going.
Well I've been using 1/4 of the recommeded amount of All free and clear for a while with no problems. Then last week I switched to Purex free and clear...still no problems. Then I used Sun once a few days ago while we were out of town, which I thought would be fine since everyone raves about it. But after 2 extra cycles (detergentless) my dipes still smelled strongly of detergent. So more rinses...no more smell. But I go to wash next (last night) and the ammonia smell about knocked me down. So the stripping started and still continues today!!!!!!!!!

I want to scream!!!!!!

ETA: I just turned them inside out for the next cycle and there are more suds then ever

Last edited by christi2705; 07-28-2006 at 08:20 AM.
christi2705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
bellemay
Registered Users

Yes, I am on cycle #9 and still have suds, not many, but enough to drive me crazy! I even added pots of boiling water but stopped that after cycle #3.
bellemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #9
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

I just did a cycle (no dipes) with some vinagar and wiped down my washer b/c I had some suds "build up" in my washer. The All and Sun are going in the trash!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
cicily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi2705
I'm in the process of stripping my dipes and I still have suds after 9 (yes 9) cycles! Will they ever go away?
Yes, the bubbles will go away...my record is 12 washes , thanks to SUN detergent. You might try stripping your washing machine. If you don't have Charlie's Soap, then just run a full load of water with a couple rags and a cup of bleach. Make sure that your water is HOT (160 degrees is best) and keep rinsing. It is frustrating, but it will work...eventually.

I've also been using Charlie's Soap for all our laundry to prevent build-up in the machine and washing the diapers in Allen's (the only soap that doesn't give him a rash). I haven't had any issue's with stink, but I think that using a tiny amount of bleach every few weeks (when stink appears) isn't a bad idea. I know bleach is a sin around here, but sometimes you just have to do what works. We all survived bleach, wet pail diapers as kids, kwim Hope this helps - Good Luck!

Last edited by cicily; 07-28-2006 at 02:40 PM.
cicily is offline   Reply With Quote