Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
fargomom27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Struggling with decision...get or not to get flu vax...

I mentioned to my husband last night that I'm hesitant to have our son vaccinated for the flu. I mentioned some of the ingredients of the vaccine, but I didn't explain what some of the causes could be. For the past two years, I did get the flu vaccine but didn't routinely get it before then and I was ALWAYS the one that DIDN'T get sick at work (well, when I was working).

DH is adamant that J. get the flu vaccine and told me that we'll follow whatever the Dr.'s recommendation is. I personally don't think that's fair because I know this doc is very pro-vax and would never recommend to NOT get the vaccine. (Tough situation...Dr. is a friend of my MIL)

What websites can you direct me to about the flu vaccine? I need ingredient lists, benefits, side effects, effectiveness etc. Basically anything that will help me explain my reasons for NOT wanting to have DS get the flu vaccine.

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Struggling with decision...get or not to get flu vax...

Well in situations like this I always like to suggest you ask DH as well to do his own research to better equip both of you - then you dont feel like you are "proving" anything to him, but rather it's a dual decision because you've both done the 'work' kwim?

Are you working?
Are you breasfeeding?
Is your DC in daycare?

There's other questions you can act yourselves to acess his risk... these are just a few.

This link takes you to a list from the FDA of all US approved vaccines - all the 2007-2008 flu ones are listed as well. Click on one and you can view the insert which includes the ingredients.

This one (for easier navigation) is just the flu vaccines for this season.

Last edited by moonphishers; 10-23-2007 at 09:53 AM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

do you guys vax now? Just out of curiosity, why so adamant about the flu one and not others? lots contain mercury!
http://www.vaccinetruth.org/ there is info in there about the flu vax
www.safeminds.org/flubrochure.pdf
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
lisad1
Registered Users

http://www.vran.org/index.htm

This is a Canadian site but the research and articles are not specifically Canadian. There are links to info on specific vaccines on the left. hth
lisad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
missus.mint
I do *those* parties
seller

My Mood:

I;m glad you asked this ... the replies have some great links! but I think one of my biggest issues with the flu vax is you're getting vaxed for a strain of flu you've probably already been exposed to ... which gives you an immunity anyway, kwim? This years flu vax is last year's strain so I'm iffy on it too so on top of ingredients you may wish to avoid, it could be all for not anyway. I got it for many years because i worked in a pharmacy and it seemed logical but even the years I skipped, i was fine. For my child though, I would do the math and figure the child's exposure level ... like someone suggested ...daycare? are you working? etc .... but letting DH do his homework is a great idea! That way he can see for himself and it's not like you're just trying to press you're own opinion on him. Do KUP! I'm curious what you will do Good luck!
missus.mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...nt-table-2.pdf

theres a list of whats in ALL the vaccines. If they dont use thimerisol for a preservative, formaldehyde is used. Thats reason enough for me not to get it.

dh and i dont feel its effective enough to outweigh the risks (i feel this about all vaccines,and he is starting to realize the same). But i also get theres different situations.. my dad is a firefighter, i see nothing wrong with him getting the vaccine.

dh works at a school, and i'd understand if he wanted to get it, but he refuses, as do I, as a pregnant woman, and my kids wont get it either. This is just our stance. no one elses opinion should make your decision, but i commend you for coming her to find more info! And i dont want to hide that fact that i am anti-vax for my own family, but not yours
Old 10-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
fargomom27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To answer your questions, I am not currently working though I do plan on doing some part-time work within the next few months. I am currently breastfeeding, and DS is not in daycare.

The one thing I'm concerned about is that DH's family (mom, two sisters, BIL) all work in the public school system and see Jonah on a regular basis. His cousin who he sees about once a month is in daycare.

I don't know if any of these things matter, just thought I'd throw it out there.

[QUOTE=moonphishers;2007618]Well in situations like this I always like to suggest you ask DH as well to do his own research to better equip both of you - then you dont feel like you are "proving" anything to him, but rather it's a dual decision because you've both done the 'work' kwim?

Are you working?
Are you breasfeeding?
Is your DC in daycare?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
fargomom27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Right now, I'm adamant about the flu vax because I just recently came across the site listing all ingredients of vaccines and I don't want to put formeldahyde in my own body, much less DS's! I know that mercury is also an ingredient in the flu vaccine, and that concerns me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMcDowell View Post
do you guys vax now? Just out of curiosity, why so adamant about the flu one and not others? lots contain mercury!
http://www.vaccinetruth.org/ there is info in there about the flu vax
www.safeminds.org/flubrochure.pdf
Old 10-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
fargomom27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FYI, thanks for all the great links, ladies. I really am leaning on not getting the vaccine for myself or him but am still undecided.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it really has to do with your risk factors..if you are home and bfing then I see no need. My kids and I will be vaccinated because dh and I are both teachers (exposed to everything and people let their kids come to school sick) the twins are in kindergarten (see above aside) and dd is in pre-school. That all aside I was going to skip it until dd's compromised immune system already has her on a path to a horrible winter. Anything she gets doesn't get better.