Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Struggling with decision...get or not to get flu vax...

LIke the pp said you just have to look at your risks. My oldest has severe asthma so there is no doubt the me and the boys will get the flu shot and I will push everyone that takes care of him a lot to get. A bout of respiratory flu would certainly put him in the hospital for days.

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #12
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From the British Medical Journal -

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/333/7574/912

Quote:
In children under 2 years inactivated vaccines had the same field efficacy as placebo,8 and in healthy people under 65 vaccination did not affect hospital stay, time off work, or death from influenza and its complications.9
They say it does nothing to prevent the flu in anyone under 2 years of age, so I would ask him for reasons TO do it

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #13
mum2abby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It totally has to be a personal decision but whatever it is -- don't let other people sway you.

We aren't doing it for Abby - I'm not doing it for me...we didn't do it last year, won't this year, most likely won't ever...DH did have the vax but that's because he's military and its required for him.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
lizzytra
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargomom27 View Post
Right now, I'm adamant about the flu vax because I just recently came across the site listing all ingredients of vaccines and I don't want to put formeldahyde in my own body, much less DS's! I know that mercury is also an ingredient in the flu vaccine, and that concerns me as well.
I was reading on Dr. Sears web site about the flu vaccine and he spoke of one or two brands that do have mercury (and thus to stay away from) and then other brand that was acceptable. HTH

Edited to Add:

Here is take from website. Info was added on Sept 07: (http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/)

For the upcoming flu season, here are the brands your doctor can choose from:

* Fluvirin brand is approved for kids 4 years and older and adults. Mercury is used in manufacturing, but then filtered out.
* Fluarix and FluLaval are for adults only. Fluarix filters out the mercury too, but FluLaval contains the full dose of mercury (25 micrograms).
* Fluzone is the only brand that is used in infants age 6 to 35 months. The half-dose infant and toddler sindle-dose vials are mercury-free, but there isn't enough to go around.
* Fluzone also makes a very small supply of mercury-free flu shots for older children and adults, so only the first kids in line will get one.
* Fluzone devotes most of their manufacturing facilities to making the full-dose mercury-containing large bottles of flu shots for all age groups.

Last edited by lizzytra; 10-24-2007 at 03:44 PM. Reason: add info from web site
lizzytra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #15
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids' pediatrician recommended the flu shot for DD last year, so I got it for her. UGH! The only time my DD has even gotten sick/gotten the flu was when she got the shot. She and my DH both go it, so I was nursing basically 2 sick kids for a week straight. ugh! I dunno what to tell ya though cuz some kids have no problem with it.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 PM   #16
Ceridwen
Registered Users
seller

http://www.nvic.org/PressReleases/pr1031flu.htm
Ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #17
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargomom27 View Post
The one thing I'm concerned about is that DH's family (mom, two sisters, BIL) all work in the public school system and see Jonah on a regular basis. His cousin who he sees about once a month is in daycare.

I don't know if any of these things matter, just thought I'd throw it out there.
Everyone's different. I have a weakened immune system (lost my spleen in an accident in h.s.) and have only had the flu once in my life. I've been a teacher for 9 yrs. Go figure.

I was reading moonphisher's links and found these points interesting:
Quote:
Adults (ages 18-49 years) who received FluMist experienced significantly fewer episodes of severe febrile illness (SFI) when compared to those who received placebo. Severe febrile illness was defined as having at least three days of symptoms (runny nose, sore throat, cough, muscle aches, tiredness/weakness) and one day of fever. Is it just me or does SFI sound really...severe, while the description just sounds like a bad cold?

What are the most common side affects of FluMist?

Nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat, headache, irritability, decreased activity, muscle ache and cough are the most common adverse events associated with the vaccine. Hmmm...common side effects seem to be...the flu

Are there certain people who should not receive FluMist?
People with egg allergies should not receive this or any other flu vaccine without first consulting their physicians. I wonder how many people they ask if they have an allergy to eggs. I wonder how many people in line at the pharmacy for the flu shot KNOW it's grown in eggs. How is it that my friend's 7m/o just got her flu shot...but she's not supposed to eat egg whites until well after her 1st b-day to avoid allergic reactions? Odd
Just some things that struck me.
My stance is this--I don't put anything in DD's body until I can make a confident, educated decision about it. Tell DH that you're willing to consider the flu shot after you've both read up on it/discussed it. Only then can you really feel confident that you've done the right thing vs. blindly following a dr's opinion.

Last edited by beenwaitingalongtime; 10-27-2007 at 01:37 AM.
beenwaitingalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:03 AM   #18
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm having the same problem deciding. I've never had the flu shot and I didn't get it for dd last year. I drive a school bus and there's always someone sick on it. DD didn't catch much last year but so far this year we've all had 3 colds, poor little ds has it the worst. So now I'm considering getting the flu shot. I figure if the colds are any kind of sign of what's to come then maybe we're better off. I don't know!!
EmsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #19
Ceridwen
Registered Users
seller

IMO the safest route is to keep your immune system strong so you are unlikely to catch the flu in the first place. Then you don't have to inject junk into you or your kids.

We take Echinacea and vitamin C, eat healthy, excercise (not as much as I should though ). We never get the shot but never get the flu either.

(knock on wood, I said never so we will all get it this winter).
Ceridwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:05 PM   #20
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How old is your son? A recent study proved that the flu shot is no more effective than a placebo in children 2 years. So basically, if he's under two, you'd be giving him toxins for no reason at all. The shot won't give him any advantage.

I won't get the flu shot for my son ever. Just don't see the point. It doesn't even protect against the most recent strains and every single flu symtom is listed as a side effect to the shot.

And FluMist sheds. So if you give it to your son, he's got a likely chance of spreading around the flu. I loathe FluMist.

Last edited by JustAugust; 10-27-2007 at 09:07 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote