Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Help me with Christmas/1st birthday!

Henry will be 11 months old at Christmas, and then his birthday will shortly follow.

My mom and I both have been buying all year in order to spread out the cost a bit. Here is what we have so far:

Rocking horse (small, for infants)
several books
2 wooden puzzles
stuffed bear
anatomically correct doll
set of wooden blocks
2 Melissa and Doug band sets
2 playsilks
playmat for cars
shape sorter
2 wooden Cars from Papa
Abacus
small stuffed fish from Cottonbabies Boutique(stocking stuffer)
wooden train (large, not a small train set, just 2 cars)

I know I want to get him a wooden walker wagon for his birthday, since he's getting the rocking horse as his big gift for Christmas. I also want to get him a stacking toy.

What else should I get? Remember that this list is going to be split between Christmas and birthday, and this is stuff from both me and my parents, so I'm really not going that overboard.

What did/does your 1 year old adore? SPAM me! (No MIC, please.)

Advertisement

L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me with Christmas/1st birthday!

you sound like me!! they way you are shopping and the toys you are getting...

DS birthday is Dec 23 and then follows xmas.. LOL I'm in the same boat.. We already has soo much of what you listed, and I'm not sure what else there is to get him LOL..

I was thinking of a nice wooden kitchen though he wont be tall enough to play with at least I have it for him and future children right lol
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I can't believe so many people have viewed this, yet no one wants to tell me what your 1 year old's favorite toy is/was? Do I smell today? What's up?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you already have plenty, seriously, even divided between B-day and Christmas, and divided between you and your mom. At age one they mainly play w/ the boxes and the paper! NO offense! Maybe we just don't go all out, but my kids get one toy and stocking stuffers from Santa, then 3-5 other gifts to open from us (books, jammies, an ornament, game, ect.). Grandparents usually just get them 2 or so gifts each to open. For B-days it depends, but we usually just get them one thing. For first b-days we got #1 a swing for outside and #2 a pushtoy. Other neat things at that age are playsilks.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Inkdboy
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I have to agree, what you have is plenty for that age....honestly you'll be shocked how the boxes and wrapping paper will get more attention then the actual gift
Inkdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

this is my son's favorite toy, though he didn't really get into the bike until he was a bit older. but his situation is similar to henry's, christmas then birthday a month or two after, so ALL of his gifts are given around the same time. they need some stuff to grow into as well!

radio flyer trike, my son's ABSOLUTE FAVE of all time, lol:

http://www.backtobasicstoys.com/item/productid/5222

he really got into this by the time summer rolled around, and it was nice to have something waiting in the wings. he's logged about a million miles around our neighborhood on it, and in the house as well.

hth! and it looks like you've got a great assortment going already.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Heather - Henry has one of those that I scored at the Thrift Store of all places, for $2.48! He is too small for it now, but I know it won't be long. It is the best beginner bike!

I guess y'all are right - we pretty much have it covered. I just can't help this frantic, anxious feeling that I am leaving out something important that he just has to have, and if I don't buy it I will be depriving him of the joys of being one, you know?

Have I mentioned that I am an only child? I think that has something to do with it, too.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We were doing this last year, Tharen's B-day is the 1st of December. He loved balls. We wound up getting him the Drop and Roar Dinosaur and Roll A rounds. He loves them. He just loves things that roll in general. Ride on toys too. Razor makes a ride on called the scuttle bug. If I had it to do over again I would just get that instead of the others we've had. We had one of those push and ride toys that was a train (a hand me down from some one else) this really gorgeous wooden ride on truck, and a ride on that turns into a scooter. The train they really like, and it lives at memaws house. The wooden truck they hate and I hate. They hate it because it doesn't move well (even on our laminate floors) and it isn't comfy to sit on, and I hate it because the wheels squeak. The ride on turns scooter is ok, but it is big and bulky. The scuttle bug rocks. It is easy for the boys to get on and off of, easy to move, tiny, light and folds up for travel and storage. I usually prefer more natural toys, but i have to admit that I haven't found anything Tharen likes so well as the scuttle bug and the roll a rounds.

Other things that are great are outside toys, basketball hoops, play houses, small slides, ect. They can play in them starting really young. A wagon, both for him to pull and for you to pull him in. And anything that makes noise. I think you already listed band instruments though. We got alot of that kind of thing. Puppets are cool too. You will have to use them at first, but little ones catch on to the play pretty fast. And even babies like puppet shows.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Shannon, THANK YOU! You have given me some great ideas! I had puppets in the back of my mind, but I guess it was burried too deep. And balls. Lots more balls. "Ball" was Henry's 3rd word, and he is very obsessed with them. Ping pong balls are his favorites. Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
Heather - Henry has one of those that I scored at the Thrift Store of all places, for $2.48! He is too small for it now, but I know it won't be long. It is the best beginner bike!

I guess y'all are right - we pretty much have it covered. I just can't help this frantic, anxious feeling that I am leaving out something important that he just has to have, and if I don't buy it I will be depriving him of the joys of being one, you know?

Have I mentioned that I am an only child? I think that has something to do with it, too.
$2.48???? that has to be the best deal ever! awesome score mama.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote