Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: skylersmommy06
My Mood:
newly pregnant

A little background for you. I'm 17, engaged, our son is 6 months old and we just foudn out we are due with #2 in March. We have barely any CDs for my sonbut are getting by and I am so worried that we aren't going to be able to afford to CD this baby. Everyone keeps telling me to apply for WIC but that won't help me, I don't need formula and I don't want disposable diapers. I am at a loss as to what to do.
stressed out hormonal rant. thanks for listening

Mama2SkyeNSophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: newly pregnant

Good luck...

Check out your local craigslist.. I have found a ton of prefolds and covers on mine for a great price. I used only prefolds and covers for the first 3 years of Cding, and part of that was 3 in cloth. IT is not as fun as all the cute stuff. but you can always tie dye your prefolds if you want to add color
Melissa, At home, homeschooling, proud LDS Mom to 3 miracles on Earth, 5 angels in heaven, Nothing butt cloth is now closed. Thank you for 5 years of support.
nothing_butt_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #3

Apply for The Diaper Pixies we offer cloth diapers to families that wish to cloth but otherwise may not be able to afford to. There is also Miracle Diapers.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
My Mood:

Here is my suggestion to you. I did this w/ all three of my pregnancies. After a few months I started buying 1 pack of disposable diapers per paycheck. That way by the time the baby arrived I had a huge stash or diapers. I didn't start using CD until my 2nd DD was about 6 mo but I am expecting again and I have been doing that with CD supplies. I am buying a little bit along so that I can have everything I need before the baby arrives. Also remember that you will be able to say what you have from your oldest son for the new baby, and just try to buy gender neutral stuff, until you find out if you are having a boy or girl. I don't know what you are using but you can get prefolds and covers much cheaper than pockets or AIO diapers. It is more of a 2 step process but it sounds like you are using CD to save so you may want to give Prefolds a try. (you can get a dz for about $25 which is not much more than a big pack of disposibles). Obviously you don't need anyone to tell you that cloth will save you money in the long run, since you have been doing it.

And you should get on WIC, if you formula feed your child you will get about 150 worth of formula a month for him plus now that you are pregnant you will get milk, cheese, eggs, cereal, juice, peanut butter, close to $75 worth of groceries every month. If you qualify, and since you aren't married yet I would be suprised if you didn't, you should definately take advantage of it. My husband is in the military and we qualify, I don't think there is anything wrong with helping yourself provide for your family. Besides just the money from the milk and eggs will give you extra money to put toward CD supplies. I don't think it is shameful at all, we have to do what we have to do. I have told lots of military families that they need to go to WIC. My husband is an E-6, for those who don't know the military that is a mid/upper enlisted person,and we qualified as a family of 4.

Good luck and I hope that I have given you a few ideas to help you CD your child if that is what you want to do.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
Registered Users

Your DS is adorable. I don't think WIC provides diapers (I'm not sure if that is what your post implies--sorry if I'm wrong). As PP says you can get tons of food with it. That will help when your DS starts solids as well as for you during the pregnancy. If your milk supply drops and you need to supplement a little (you never know when pg) you might want the formula. The mamas here on the board will our best to support you emotionally through this.
Carrie (28), wife to Mark (31), mama to identical twin cuties Ethan and Ryan (27 mo.)
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote