Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

anyone have a runner????

That was me on our SUPPOSED TO BE fun leaf walk this afternoon! I'm so frustrated. Lulu is going to be 3 in Jan(the 7th) and she will not stop running from me and laughing about it. I've yelled, I've spanked(and I really hate doing that), I've put her in time out, I've taken priviledges, etc. I don't think it's fair to keep her in a stroller and she won't be worn anymore. I know she has energy to get out. BUT GEEZ! She takes off on me constantly. Even if I ask her to hold my hand she rips her hand out of mine really fast and runs off. And she will run into a street without a second thought. i've told her how dangerous it is but she's 2 1/2, she doesn't listen! It makes me not want to do things like that with them anymore. And I'm 6 months pregnant. It's not easy to take off running and chase down a 2 year old! In another month or two this could be a dangerous situation. I'm worried she's going to be hurt or stolen from me or killed by a car. Anyway have any solutions??? I'm beyond frustrated. This has been going on since she could walk.

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
jennsmile
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone have a runner????

I have a little of a runner. I feel while it isn't fair for him to be in the stroller it is for his safety at times. I use a stroller more with him than his older brother because he runs. His safety is more important than me hurting his feelings by using a stroller. He has learned he has 2 choices if a stroller or cart is not available and his needs to be safe. He can hold my finger or I will carry him. He will choose either one and it will be his choice. But I know that either choice will keep him safe. Give her a choice, hold my hand or ride. She can choose. I also have used a leash for a few times when I needed him to stay close but he needed freedom. Not my first choice but I would rather have that than a missing/dead kid.

Another idea that might work for you, I live in the country so no sidewalk, is to get a tricycle that you can push. Or a wagon.

Jenn

Fort Hood Mama's check out LLL of Killeen

Last edited by jennsmile; 10-23-2007 at 03:02 PM.
jennsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Well we've got this great bike path near our house so she COULD ride her bike but she's been preferring to walk lately. I just don't know of any places other than our yard that she can really let loose and take off without getting hurt or potentially getting hurt. I think my problme is I don't want her to be stifled with her activity level but I still want her safe. I just feel bad I can't keep up. If she's in a store her only option is holding my hand or being strapped into a shopping cart or the stroller. But I need to get this under control before baby sister comes and makes this even more complicated!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama, that sucks! My DD (2 in 2 days) is so good on walks, she never leaves the sidewalk. I dread the day she decides it would be funny to run from me. I think I'd have a heart attack! I can't believe you are 6 months pregnant and chasing down your 2 1/2 year old, I really feel for you.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Those are the times we break out the toddler leash. I'm big on keeping as many of the kids contained as possible when we are out so if they are refusing to hold hands or listen, I'll pull out the toddler leash. Makes things much easier on everyone knowing that the little one cannot get away from me.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
littlewigglebutts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I've got a 5yo runner, but he has pretty severe autism and some other issues so I know he's not going to stop.

When he was 3, we called the highschool down the street and asked if we could use their track (which was fully fenced). We'd take him down and he'd run 2 miles (no joke) before he was ready to go. Actually it was kinda cute because back then we'd go while ROTC was doing there thing and when they'd stop to do sit-ups, etc... he'd go join them. They used to take turns sitting him on their backs for added weight on push-ups.

Anyway, the other really great thing was teaching him to swim. Small kids pick it up easily and we had him on the swim team by 4yo. He's enclosed in a pool and we can easily watch without him being able to get away from us fast. We actually just spent a nice sized inheritance on putting in a lap pool at our house for him. That way he can do his laps before school and his teachers think that helps his school focus a lot.

Anyway, I don't know if anything like that helps, but good luck mama!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

I had a runner too, and to save my sanity, in the stroller he went.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

If mine won't stay with me the stroller comes out or a harness. I have a harness/leash that looks like a monkey backpack(they make a dog one too) I got it at walmart for pretty cheap and its cute. It works really well when needed.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

My first instinct is to say it's the age. Both of my boys were (are) like that. My 3yo (4 in Jan) not so much anymore, but my 2yo (just turned 2 in Aug) is exactly like that. I used a harness/leash when we flew and were hiking around airports for the whole day. It was mostly a safety net type thing. I still held his hand or carried him, but if he happened to get loose...he wouldn't get far. I really don't have any words of advice...I know they've got energy to burn, but if it's at the expense of my sanity.....i get the stroller out!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
ADS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope the PP was right about the age thing. My son is 1.5 years and he loves being outside, but he will NOT be contained.
When we go to the park he plays on the equipment for about 15-20 minutes and then he just takes off running. He will run into the tennis lots, across the parking lot, through the volleyball court, up a huge hill, and finally into the street. I feel like such a fool with all the other moms looking at me like I am a crazy person.
It is sort of embarrassing with all the other kids playing on the equipment and my son is running around in the tennis courts.
He won't hold my hand either.